What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pin-bot no background music

lozpeters

Registered
Ok i have been tinkering with this for the last few days trying bits out to try to solve it myself but now i am stuck :)

So my Pin-bot has no sounds or music at all. No noises at start up, no noises during tests and nothing if i push the CPU test switch.

I have been testing continuity and all seems fine, re-seated all chips and connectors. twiddled the volume control switch and nothing (does make the speakers crackle when i twist it)

Checked the voltages on the power board and i get 5v, +12V and -12V. The sound board is getting 5V and +12V @ J3 (should i have -12V here too???)

So now i am confused, what should i test now? :hmm:

ok, after a bit more digging, pin 8 on the mpu is reading +5v according to flipperwinkle this should be -12v!! and powers the sound, i will do some more digging and see if this is incorrectly wired or a fault in the -12v coming from the power board

Hi,

According to the schematics, pin 8 of the 6802/6808 mpu chip(s) should be a steady 5v. The only correlation between -12v and a 'pin 8' I can see is the mpu board power input connector, 1J17. And the audio pcb should receive 5v and -12v, but not necessarily +12v. If the power input to the audio board, J3, has only 4 pins, they're 5v (Grey), Ground (Black), -12v (Black-white) and a keying pin, pins 1 to 4, right to left. If +12v is supplied, it would be at pins 5 & 6 of a 6-pin connector at J3, with White-grey wires. Though that type of audio pcb has two audio amplifiers, I don't think they're actually used. The audio signal is amplified and sent to the speakers by the amp on the mpu board.

thanks for that Jay, it is the 6 pin connector.

I swapped the wire on the MPU to a -12v line on the power board ( so now the sound board gets -12v +12v & +5v)

i now have sounds :) :) the machine bongs once when turned on, and in test mode i get sounds but no music :( and when i push the MPU test switch i just get one sound (like a muted symbol)

so getting there just some more digging to get music to work!

OK a little update now i have had some time to play :)

one bong when i turn the machine on, all sound affect tests work fine. The music test gives nothing. If i push the CPU test switch i get one tone, which according to the flipper wiki is a bad RAM at U23 should i change this and where is the best place to get one??

Also i noticed while the machine is on and in attract mode after a min or 2 it says "i see you" then after another min or 2 i do get some music playing :confused:

so why does it seem to play music in attract mode but not the test mode??

any help much appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom