What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pat Lawlor

Tucks

Registered
Big Pat fan. Anyone know if he's working on a new game. JJP? Hope Dialed In wasn't a 'one off'

Pat is the man! I had a brief chat with him on Pinside about TZ's infamous 9.4H ROM. Naturally his username on there is "check_switch_26" :D

Whoops I meant Ted Estes. Ah well, they're both awesome.

He’s “patl” on pinside. Last seen in July, only 9 posts in 5 years!

Pat is the man! I had a brief chat with him on Pinside about TZ's infamous 9.4H ROM. Naturally his username on there is "check_switch_26" :D

Whoops I meant Ted Estes. Ah well, they're both awesome.
Good guy, real shame 9.5 never made light of day.

Big Pat fan. Anyone know if he's working on a new game. JJP? Hope Dialed In wasn't a 'one off'

Buried in a load of dialed in and rollercoaster tycoon cabs in the Nevada desert.

Actually not true - I’m having dinner with him next week in Chicago! I’ll ask him what he’s doing and how much we all think Addams and TW suck here in the UK LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't know whether you will get an honest answer @Neil McRae , but I would find it interesting to know how the R&D spend (be that in $ or man-days) in pinball has varied over time.

Having produced a series of fabulous games - Banzai, Earthshaker, Whirly, Funhouse, TAF, TZ - Pat went off the boil after TZ, but why ?? Roadshow had the shots but crap music and iffy theme, then it really went downhill for years until Dialed-in came out.

Is this one of your 'Nick Lane' is playing pinball with us tonight jokes? Surely you're not really having dinner with the great man himself? How? Why? Too many questions.........

Last edited:
As is NGG, one of my favourite Lawlor games, great fun and very challenging.

Will most likely be as confused as us over TW:hmm:.

Sorry typo TZ of course !

NGG is not bad also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just for interest, here’s all the Lawlor designed games in order of Pinside rating:

1. Twilight Zone 8.735
2. Dialed In 8.608
3. The Addams Family 8.575
4. Funhouse 8.222
5. Whirlwind 8.087
6. No Good Gofers 8.039
7. Road Show 7.950
8. Ripley’s Believe It Or Not 7.948
9. Family Guy 7.911
10. Safecracker 7.791
11. Banzai Run 7.752
12. Earth Shaker 7.750
13. Shrek 7.507
14. Nascar 7.362
15. Monopoly 7.260
16. CSI 7.218
17. Rollercoaster Tycoon 7.122
18. Grand Prix 6.934

Last edited:
I don’t get the lack of love for Roadshow. The country/hillbilly music is great for the theme, and as for the theme: why could be more American than a road trip across America.?
RS is great. Are you donating me your topper for episode 3 (and beyond!)? :p

@Monkeyboypaul

I think the problems with Roadshow are the music / stupid callouts / lame artwork

The layout, shots, gameplay are up there with the very best games of all time. I think it is every bit as good as Lawlor' s best in this regard.

But what makes a great game though, is when it all comes together.

The top games from every era tend to represent the full package - great gameplay, great look, great sound

Fathom is the top rated Bally SS game

Whirlwind is the top rated system 11

TAF is the top rated early wpc

MM is the top rated late wpc

There are plenty of good players - Shadow, Jonny Mnemonic, Dirty Harry, Fish Tales ... but they are all let down in other areas. Prices and ratings reflect this, but some folk love them nonetheless.

Is this one of your 'Nick Lane' is playing pinball with us tonight jokes? Surely you're not really having dinner with the great man himself? How? Why? To many questions.........

LOL - Nick Lane was at Funball Episode 1 :D I haz witness

Back
Top Bottom