What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Over Zealous Credit Dot

Andypc

Site Supporter
My Theatre of Magic seem to be over zealous with the credit dot. I know it's all working fine, but it reports certain switches as not working. Test them in test menu or hit them in the next game and the credit dot clears. I get this quite a bit with the vanish lock as I can go a few games with hitting it. Get the credit dot, so then next game I make sure I hit the vanish lock and the credit dot clears. Is there a setting to adjust how quickly it reports a problem?

Don't think there's any way around it, it's quite common. My Getaway is at the girlfriends house and every time I go there there's a credit dot, usually for 74 top lock or the gear shifter.

I seem to recall numbers like 90 balls, 30 balls or 30 games played before the game will assume a switch is bad. Nor sure which of those is right.

Does that sound about right or is the dot reappearing more often than that?

I seem to recall numbers like 90 balls, 30 balls or 30 games played before the game will assume a switch is bad. Nor sure which of those is right.

Does that sound about right or is the dot reappearing more often than that?
30 balls rings a bell.

If it's 30 balls then that's 10 games at most, possibly less with 4 balls that ToM has I think? So not a huge number of games played before the software thinks a switch is bad because it hasn't been hit in that time.

Just found a post on pinside which said it's 30 balls for an inactive switch credit dot, if you're sure it's more often than that then yes, you probably have a dodgy switch or other issue.

Need more info really.. if it's happening in the middle of a game vs at power on, or whatever. If it's happening every other game then it's a switch problem, but if it's happening every ~10 games or so then more than likely its the inactive switch autofail. The fact it tests correctly and if you run a ball over it the dot goes makes me think its the latter.

I don't know enough about ToM to comment but how unusual/difficult is it to get the vanish lock in normal gameplay.

Wpc95 were known to have flaky cherry switches that dont work but after a few activatipns work again
According to IPDB ToM is WPC-S, WPC95 came after that I think. Not sure if that would mean the switches couldn't be flaky there too.

Speaking of Getaway, any still running the prototype software edition P-C show a fleeting error dot during play. Apparently the even earlier editions sent every shot up the l/h ramp around the SuperCharger loop, and P-C still expects this to happen. So a ball making the ramp, and simply going around the u-bend and returning brings in a dot, which if called out on declares "Diverter Error". This can appear and disappear during a game, if the SuperCharger then operates while the dot exists

Last edited:
Need more info really.. if it's happening in the middle of a game vs at power on, or whatever. If it's happening every other game then it's a switch problem, but if it's happening every ~10 games or so then more than likely its the inactive switch autofail. The fact it tests correctly and if you run a ball over it the dot goes makes me think its the latter.

I don't know enough about ToM to comment but how unusual/difficult is it to get the vanish lock in normal gameplay.
Not that hard if you are going for it (a number of loops required). It's not one of the more obvious shots though I guess.

Back
Top Bottom