What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT Help with Windows Phone - Lost all Phone Numbers

robotgreg

Site Supporter
Alias
Greg
Hi

I'm really struggling with my phone and wondering if anyone who knows more can help:

Problem is my son set up lots of email accounts on the phone and I deleted them as didn't want them there but in doing so also I also accidentally deleted the original microsoft account that was used to originally set up the phone and where all my phone contacts are stored. So I can still see these phone contacts on this microsoft account using the pc but by deleting the account from the phone it's deleted all the phone numbers!!!

So I thought add the original account back on the phone and all will be OK but it's not syncd the numbers across and maybe because there is still one of my son's accounts on my phone. I believe the phone thinks this is the primary account now and therefore will not let me remove it even though it let me remove the original primary account I set up last year!

So I've gone into my son's account on the pc and removed the link to the phone on his account and repeated the same on the account through the phone itself but the account still shows up on the phone.

Looking through advice it seems to suggest I then need to reset the phone but assuming it means a factory reset I lose all my message history etc which I'm not willing to do. Have taken battery out for soft reset but no joy.

At worst I can manually add the phone contacts back in but would rather be able to import them back but seems that I can't until I remove my son's account which isn't critical for me but does seem to be critical to the process of getting the numbers back.

So wondering if anyone knows how to get the phone numbers back please. Will be at Swavesey if easier to do with the phone there! Appreciate any help.

Suffice to say won't be getting a windows phone again as not the only problem I've had and similarly won't be letting my son set up random accounts on it any more!

Cheers
Greg

Can you not reset the phone to factory and reapply M$ account?
Apparently, you will need to be on wifi when your default the phone and put your m$ account back on or it won't restore contacts etc.
Talking to work mate who is in Spain at mo and the only other user of a Windies phone i know

Do a backup of your messages before you reset just incase it hasnt backed up your messages by default

Last edited:
You should be able to back the messages etc up to cloud storage to do the wipe
Do you know if your contacts are stored? Exchange Online? Outlook.com (old Hotmail)? GMail?

The naming around Microsoft Accounts is a confusing mess
A Microsoft Personal Account (known as a live account back in the day) is used for the consumer services - Xbox Live, Outlook.com, OneDrive Consumer, Skype Consumer, and is different from a Microsoft Account (Work/School) which is used for Office365, SharePoint Online, OneDrive For Business, Skype For Business and other stuff that is based off Azure AD.
If you have a Office365 account your contacts, mail and calendaring items are stored there so re-adding that will repopulate the phone, but this is different from adding a 'Microsoft Accout' it's an Office365 (Exchange) account

Thanks for replies. Factory reset will lose all message and phone history. Will try to find out how to backup first. Was on wifi when added accuont back but no joy.

The accounts I'm referring to are live accounts. Not got other types. Contacts are stored in the original live account but just not transferring back to phone.

Cheers
Greg

Greg,

Yes the factory reset will wipe the messages (along with everything else)!but restoring your phone after wiping it will bring back your message trails etc.

Be aware that when you back up before resetting the phone it will be backing up to your sons account that is now the primary, not that this will necessarily be a problem.

My work mate has confirmed that his messages got restored when he restored his phone after wiping it to factory.

Good luck with your quest :cool:

Back
Top Bottom