What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Optimal Lighting

DRD

Registered
I know this is an old chestnut.

With my new pinshed under construction I am fortunate enough to have a blank page when it comes to lighting the thing. It will be about 4.8m by 4.8m

I was planning fluorescents down the middle of the room for maintenance/ cleaning matters. But these are obviously hopeless for gameplay

What is best for actual gameplay ? I do not like playing in the dark. Led worklights under the games work quite well but are a bit heath robinson

Is there a kind of lighting that works well mounted behind the games ? Dimmable would make sense

Has anyone found a good, neat and tidy way of doing this ?

Thanks

Don't get fluorescents David. Get LED flat panels. Brighter, quieter, cooler and use less power.

Reactions: DRD
Concealed up lights around the walls always seems a good option. If you search for the tread about all showing off their pin caves there are some pretty good examples. Can't remember who but one of the rooms is lit pinkish but you can change the colour to what type you like.

Concealed up lights around the walls always seems a good option. If you search for the tread about all showing off their pin caves there are some pretty good examples. Can't remember who but one of the rooms is lit pinkish but you can change the colour to what type you like.
My Stern Annexe has RGB lights on top of the flat LED panels. Lights up the apex roof really nicely.

@Matt Adams Did this I think....

Playing in the dark is the best by far. More of a challenge and the full benefit of the lightshows that these things produce.
I thought that too until recently, but had a few day time games on TZ and JD and found some ambient lighting helped, maybe just the widebodies lack light in the centre of the pf? Agreed the light show was diminished a bit but the concentration headache of squinting whilst trying to find the ball in the dark was gone! 6 of one half a dozen the other I guess...

Thanks for the suggestions

I am a bit traditional with lighting. Led has issues. Movement Activated pir sensors can be incompatible with led lights as they can have a 1000w spike on start up. Yes, i am sad enough to have actually had that conversation with the technical department of steinel uk today. Steinel makes external pir sensors that actually work 5 years after you installed them.

I put 18 led spots in my kitchen a year ago. I reckon that 4 have failed already. I put 6 fluorescent tubes in my workshop and garage 5 years ago, none have failed.

I think i will try to get something behind the pinball machines, will get my thinking cap on

Uplighters behind the machine with smart lights something like phillips hue. I have them and you can set all kinds of lighting. Other cheaper ones are available. Even work with alexa for amazon.

Back
Top Bottom