What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Operation Thunder flipper problem

paddythegreek

Site Supporter
Alias
Ken
This Gottlieb malarky is all new to me so can anyone send me a pic of the r/h lower flipper coil please.
I need to see if its wired up correctly and the diode orientation is right. Its taking the fuse straight out as soon as the start button is pressed. Awaiting a manual

Hi, paddy,

While I can't help with a picture, won't comparison with the left side help?. The main power feed would be a different colour, and the return wire, but the principle would be the same. A flipper unit has those similarities to any solenoid, but with additional switching, and (for 'conventional' high-current types) no direct electronic involvement in the return circuit

As a guide, tie-back diodes have their cathode (banded end) facing the power supply - it/they would conduct as almost a short circuit if facing the other way. I've always supposed that the band on the component symbolises the 'bar' of the schematic symbol, without the 'arrow' from the other end to show the direction the diode will conduct

If the coil is a series-wound type, where the junction between the two windings is on the central terminal, then the EoS switch should by-pass the thinner secondary/Hold winding when closed

If a parallel-wound coil is used, which I think may be the case if Operation Thunder has a capacitor added to the EoS switch, then the closed switch should complete the primary/Power circuit, so that opening it leaves the Hold winding to, err, hold

In Williams practice, anyway, a parallel coil has both windings begin at the supply end, with the primary ending at the centre tag and the secondary running right across to the far side

Last edited:
Guy installed a brand new coil and he's taken out the diode. The eos is not a Gottlieb one, its a mongrel job and basically bu**ered.
The cam that opens the eos has the little roller missing so it hardly opens the afore mentioned crap eos.
I'm in conversation with Andy re getting the correct bits to hopefully sort it. Thanks for you post on this

Back
Top Bottom