What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Longer Available One for the StarWars fans £20k PRICE REDUCED

R

robertlucas1970

20170828_092904.jpg

I am testing the water to see if somebody would like to buy my R2 unit as I just dont get time to attend many events.
In the last few years I have only attended Play Expo and my local cinema, I would like to see him go to a new home where somebody has the time to attend many more events and not just keep him in the flight case which is where he is now.

Its very hard to price and all the people who are involved in making the parts as they do come from all over the word do not allow you to make a droid and sell for profit.

So with that in mind I am going to ask what the parts have cost over the 3 years of the build and that is £25000 !
This is not a wooden R2 unit, every part is made from Aluminium, it is also a 2-3-2 droid which means it can go from 3 legs to 2 legs, I believe there is one other in the UK and a handful in the US that can do this.

The latest upgrade I have done is to the main drive units, it now has brushless drives which means it will now drive on think carper with no problem, you could stand on the back and it will not slow down, these motors are pretty epic in the robotic world. They was designed for the "The Force Awakens" by Lee and Oliver, some time later Disney gave permission for them to share the design to us R2 builders
So this upgade alone with the very expensive motor controller will cost £2000
They are fitted with offroad tyres and vex omni wheels, also 4WD, these are the best drives you can get and because brushless they will rotate at the same RPM, this now means its very easy to drive in a straight line.
20171117_211818.jpg

20171217_173655.jpg

I will try and post some pictures of the parts so you can see that every part has been machined from aluminium and even the smallest parts cost a few hundred to things like the legs which cost £1000 which is just for the basic leg, you then have all the parts the go on the leg.

These are the 8 parts that go on a leg.
20150111_113228.jpg

The main frame is made in Texas, this is where it all started
20140808_213011.jpg

This is one the logics from the dome, all done with LEDs, but the light is still transmitted down some fibre optic, its done like this because the original R2 was done with fibre optics.
20140714_203542.jpg

IMG_20150708_175035.jpg
IMG_20150722_191521.jpg

Custom made flight case

20161211_194039.jpg

The control system is also custom made by sure robotics and is 2 tiny custom controllers so nobody can see who is in control

bundle-1-500x500.jpg

I could go on and on about this R2 unit, if anybody was serious about this its best you come take a look and only then you would appreciate how much work it takes to build something like this and the cost involved

You can not buy anything like this, the closest thing you could buy off the shelf is a Sideshow static statue which is made of fibreglass and resin, that will cost you £10k buy the time you add the shipping and custom charges on.

Many Thanks

It also has the periscope, this is made up of the lifter, the rotary and then the periscope itself, this cost £900

Did I mention every panel and door can open..............

Testing the 2-3-2 this looks very smooth and easy to do, but its the hardest part of the build and most people give up on it, R2 will try and fall over when on 2 legs, so you have to lock the ankles, timing and weight has to be correct, even the actuators had to be custom made as you cant buy a 3" actuator with feedback off the shelf.

Out of my price range, but still - seems ridiculously cheap considering how rare and desirable something like this would be to the mega bucks collectors in the US

Good luck, and huge thanks for bringing him along to the shows at Play Expo

Sweet Jesus and all things biblical ......
Oh my ****ing days I would give anything to own this :eek:
Can see how much time and effort has gone into this , it’s incredible.
If you still have this next year , which is unlikely I would take it a heartbeat :clap::clap::clap:

£25000 !
...this is not the droid I'm looking for :sad:

Seriously, it's an awesome job and worth every penny. I hope it goes to somebody that can continue the good work sharing it in public, it obviously brings a lot of joy wherever it trundles.

Thanks for all the nice comments.
R2 can drive all day as I also upgraded the power this year, he is now powered from 4 X 10 amp lipo batteries.

20180218_093431.jpg

Have you tried flogging it to ILM, Framestore or Double Negative?

No ILM has its own team, you would not believe that amount of red tape involved, if they didnt build their own droids they would need permission from every person involved making parts.
I am allowed to do charity events, but if money was to change hands I am meant to inform Disney.
Its all about the copyright, they allow us to make the droids and have even provided us with the sound files, but they do not want us making droids to sell for profit or doing events for profit.
This is why I am asking £25k as I can produce £25k of paypal invoices on parts, so if I do get asked questions I can provide evidence that I am not making any profit on the sale.

Ooh yeah, I can imagine there might be a lot of IP issues. Seems like something that would be a cool display piece for a production house. Good luck!

glws - TBH for the quality 25K is a bargain.

this was the best machine at play expo :)

Wow, may I say that looks fantastic..... :clap:
Out of my league at 25k but I can't say it's not worth it with all the work that was involved..... Must be a really gut-wrenching selling it..
I'll bet a rich American might snap it up or even a film studio??

Good luck with the sale....... :thumbs:

That is awesome. Would buy it in a heartbeat but the wife just asked me what I was looking at and that's when the dream ended:(

Still there's always the lottery, premium bonds etc :clap:

How many man hours have you put into it? Must have been a labour our of love.

That is awesome. Would buy it in a heartbeat but the wife just asked me what I was looking at and that's when the dream ended:(

Still there's always the lottery, premium bonds etc :clap:

How many man hours have you put into it? Must have been a labour our of love.

I used to spend around 4 hours every night and then more on a weekend, it took over my life for 3 years :)

Was wondering if somebody adopts R2 to actively use him (rather than park him in a foyer:tut:) what's involved in running & maintaining the little fella, kind of the Haynes manual?

Back
Top Bottom