What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh FFS DESW Color DMD

Andy B

Site Supporter
Anyone that’s been reading my Data East Star Wars shop log will know I’ve put a lot of time and effort in to getting it to look quiet nice and I’m on the last leg and on my last legs!

I just received Color DMD today. Instructions say put the power tap in to CN6 of Power Supply Board. 15 pins. Keyed, so it will only go in one way. Only the key’s in the wrong fluffing pin. It’s pin 2 of the power tap but pin 4 of CN6 of power supply. Anyone had similar issues?

There’s no wiring diagram with the Color DMD so I don’t know if it’s safe to just remove the key. The tracks from pins to power tap connector seem to be coming from pin 4 (which is the key on power supply), pin 8 which is 5 volts and pin 13 which is GND on power supply.

I really wanted to hook the thing up tonight but looks like I’ll have to wait until I can get in touch with Pinball Palace who I got it from tomorrow unless someone on here, has come across the same issue and can advise.

Cheers

Andy

Believe so. It’s labelled as the power tap for Sega/Stern and has 15 pins it’s just the key’s in the wrong place.

I’d wait until you get a reply from Randy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Neil - didn’t even think to look on Color DMD shop page - was too busy reading the support page!

Looks like they sent me the wrong connector. It is an LED display - according to their support page, the latest Chroma Rev A2.

I have a Sega/Stern power tap but looks like I need that Data East one they have on their site.

Will wait for response from Randy or else contact Ponball Palace tomorrow.

Cheers

Andy

Yep, Randy confirms incorrect connector sent - Data East one needed as the Sega/Stern one only used on Sega Apollo 13.

Yeah I thought so - hopefully they have one local.

Remember to crank the brightness up. A little on the LED - it will look fantastic!

Yep, be gutted if I have to wait another couple of weeks to get this project completed if have to get one from US!

:thumbs:

I had pretty much the same issue with a colour LCD DMD on my A13.

The installation instructions said to fit the power tap board at J6, but on A13 its J16. Then found the power tap board was keyed to the incorrect pin. I spoke with Sean at colordmd (UK) he advised the A13 is different and a new power tap connector would be send direct to me from the States, after a week I was getting impatient of waiting so I replaced the header pins on the power tap board and keyed it to suit my A13.

I got the pins from RS, code 535-5923, and replaced all the header pins as they were slightly different height to the originals.

Love the colour display, don't like so much that the display is much taller than the original DMD and to open the light panel in the backbox you first need to open the display panel as the display sticks up about 20mm more than the light panel! All irrelevant when playing though.

Regards,

Chris.

Last edited:

The installation instructions said to fit the power tap board at J6, but on A13 its J16. Then found the power tap board was keyed to the incorrect pin. I spoke with Sean at colordmd (UK) he advised the A13 is different and a new power tap connector would be send direct to me from the States, after a week I was getting impatient of waiting so I replaced the header pins on the power tap board and keyed it to suit my A13.

I got the pins from RS, code 535-5923, and replaced all the header pins as they were slightly different height to the originals.

Love the colour display, don't like so much that the display is much taller than the original DMD and to open the light panel in the backbox you first need to open the display panel as the display sticks up about 20mm more than the light panel! All irrelevant when playing though.

Regards,

Chris.

Hmm that’s strange on my Apollo XIII I was able to make the ColorDMD work without any big modification and it was straight out of the box?

Neil

Hi Neil,

Mine would of worked straight from the box if the correct power tap board had been sent, but same as Andy is experiencing with his DE Star Wars kit, the incorrect version of power tap board had been sent with my kit.

Chris.

Hmm that’s strange on my Apollo XIII I was able to make the ColorDMD work without any big modification and it was straight out of the box?

Neil
When I bought one at TPF the guys asked me what machine - I said Stern Star Trek Pro - they went off and found the right connector and slipped that into the box, so I suspect they add the right cables when you order and specify the machine. (Btw, I haven't tried to fit it yet!!!!)

It’s a 3 minute job on Star Trek and so worth it on that pin!

Rang Sean at Pinball Palace - have to send the wrong one back and he’ll send me out the correct one. Didn’t think to ask if he had one in stock but he never said he didn’t so hopefully be able to finish the job early next week but gutted that I can’t call it done already - particularly when I took today off work to do the last few bits ☹️

Regards,

Chris.

I Don’t have the cahoonas to do any modifications to the power tap mate I’ll just have to bide my time and hope PP have the right one in stock ☹️

id get on the blower to Sean and tell him to get it sent out now, offer him a deposit he can refund via PayPal. It’s his cockup!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom