What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NVRAM....

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
Ok REALLY silly question to all you out there :D

Have NVRAM installed. Every time i fire up the switch i get told to put in the Date/Time....

Maybe i'm a little daft here... and i realise that it doesnt have an RTC, however i thought the idea of an NVRAM was that you didnt have to have any batteries... and therefore shouldnt get this error come up...

Or have i missed something here...

TAF... is in a Rottendog board, so didn't need to add the socket as already socketed...

The clock needs the ram powered all the time on most machines.
Having NVram will mean no clock.
You can get a plug in sram with built in lithium.
It's made by ST and called zeropower ram. They make various types.
Or go back to sram with a standard battery setup

I've not tried it but you probably could just add a battery with the NVram in.
It would give you the clock back .

The NVRAM that I use from MyPinballs lets time pass when the game is switched on, then freezes the game state when off, so the clocks keeps time only when it’s on - but still keeps the clock ‘set’.

Could be a possibility that the NVram is corrupted at the memory locations the clock uses.

Try a temp bat. Thats if they left all the diodes and battery holders in.

TAF... is in a Rottendog board, so didn't need to add the socket as already socketed...

I have an Nvram chip in my TAF clock stays ‘set’ but only counts up when the machine is powered, so if I turn it off when it says 12:00 it will still be 12:00 when I turn it on again

Original mpu board

Thanks all... thought i was going mad for a minute.. I'll have a play about with it and see what i can find :) Cheers!

Yes NVRAM is not working correctly for some reason - strange you don't get FACTORY SETTINGS RESTORED though...

Can you put batteries in that board? If so I'd try that and rule out the NVRAM.

If it wasn't working at all you'd expect "factory settings restored" every time you started, but as it's a Rottendog board anything is possible.

This is the first time it's been used... so no, it's never worked...

ANYWAY

Problem solved... there seems to have been a crappy soldier joint on the RD CPU board on the Socket i noticed when looking further.... Re-soldered and all now good :)
Didnt think that this was the correct operation :D

Thanks all for your assistance!

Back
Top Bottom