What's new

Number of Balls? Discuss?

AlanJ

Site Supporter
Alias
Alan
I'm on 3 for when friends come around, otherwise games last too long.

On my own, I prefer 5 so that I have a better change at achieving something in the game, especially the deeper ones. (Yes I'm crap)

Tried 10 ball games, it doesn't add much to a 5 ball game score to be honest as I find I waste em. I also find it brings about a poor pinball habit. I.e. get used to doing things that lose a ball and keep on doing it as no real penalty.

I'm considering installing coin-mechs and actually paying for games to make it super real - all proceeds to the kids and/or charity.

3 for me. Never deviate from that. When I play a 4 or 5 ball game it just doesn’t feel right.
Plus that’s the factory setting so I just leave it

I prefer to have it set up as it would be if operated. I prefer it that way even if it's tougher to finish the modes/table. I think the table loses a bit for me if I've done the final/wizard mode - I like the challenge being there :)

Three for me too, but I like to have two extra balls winnable at fairly low scores - if a game goes well I get five balls to really enjoy it.

Always 3, with extra balls as replay awards, the replay score is set really high though, a real incentive to play better. Baywatch is 4 ball, coz it's evil.

I play in line with the league .4 ball .no extras.

Most competition play has no extra balls.

Always 3 balls with extras but when I first got into pinball and I bought my Shadow I upped it to 5 balls as I couldn’t get a game which lasted more than a couple of minutes. In contrast I managed to get to the final battle wizard mode on ball 1 a few years later which is when I decided to sell it. :)

I would never in a million years dream of deviating from 3 balls. Except after a year of getting my ass handed to me by RFM I've lamented and gone to 5 balls. Might drop it back to 4. The playfield is so short and fast sometimes you blink and you miss it..

Always 3 with default extra ball settings.
5 on an EM (if I had one).

3 for me. I think you slack off a bit mentally if you have 5. I've upped some of my Pins to 5 when I know I am selling them to see if I can get further in to the game, but it never seems to make much difference. My 3 ball Aerosmith GC high score is far higher than anything I have managed with 5 balls.

I think having extra balls on/off is an important factor, if they are on, you could try and focus on getting more, and end up with way more balls than 4 on a good game. I understand it is game dependent too, as some games are a lot easier to get extra balls.

I play normally with extra balls off on certain games
Like TWD - other games leave them on. As pinburgh comes up though turn Extra balls off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Used to be 3 but now on 4 to match comp. Not sure why.
Nobody picked you on the idea of adding a coin mechanism and paying for the game. I like the concept.
A month back or so I played a game on site for the first time in years. Completely different feeling to pay for the game. More pressure. Sweaty palms. Faster heart beat.
In a word, my youth back and I liked it.

Very interesting reading through everyones preferences. My EM games are on 5 balls and everything else is on 3 with extra balls. Totally agree with the location game comment. Definately more exciting trying to get the most gameplay for your £££

3 balls with EB on.

I don't get playing with 4 balls and no EB as makes you miss key shots in certain games that are just fun.

Couldn't imagine playing AFM and not having one of the best EB call outs of all time.

FT - trying to backhand the small target etc etc.

If I wanted to practice and get good I would set up games on 2 balls as per that article in another thread.

I believe this happened as there was a debate on whether to use 3 or 5.
So they compromised on 4.
A long time ago now but for the league we decided on 4 as we thought you'd normally get 3 balls and with the chance to earn one or more extra balls so as a compromise allowed 4 balls but no extras to ensure games where people didn't get loads of extras. Five was never an option:)

Factory default - 3. Anything else is just not cricket. You can't benchmark how good you are if you change the parameters (IMHO). Wizard modes are based on standard play. If you get to the wizard mode on say 10 balls, you haven't really got there if you know what I mean.

3 balls on modern games (factory setting inc extra balls) 5 balls on older ss like Centaur .

Back
Top Bottom