What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northern Lights Pinball Show 2018 - 27th,28th Oct. Pinball machine pledge thread.

I thought that this was a really well organised show.

Yes, Blackpool has some absolutely appalling sights. Yes the Norbreck was tired and a bit grotty. But it did not matter at all. The venue was just the right size for all the games. The sound system in the main hall was fantastic, even Genesis sounded good on the Friday night.

The Pinball Through the Ages worked really well, as did putting the owners' names on the machines. A few folk hunted me down to talk about my Paragon and the playfield protector I had put on it, so I think that the Pinball nerds would have benefitted from it.

First time for us at Blackpool and really enjoyed it - busy but you could get on machines and there was a few I played for the first time. So well organised and could not believe that the event finished at 6 and we had our van packed with 11 pins and my shoes by 7.15 pm and all I did was hold the Alllan key [emoji3] . Got back to Scotland by 11.15 pm and just wanted to thank NLP and all the support crew for looking after us and making us drink and laugh . PS - Colin being smug that his blu tac was required on several occasions .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stream was a good idea - I'm sure I saw a girl coining up the World Poker Tour.

Great show guys. Thanks to Chris and the gang for open heart surgery on the DESW that embarrassed me by having a cardiac arrest twice!

Great time had by me and my lad though.

Agree that Norbeck Castle hotel is a great venue for the show but it is without doubt the worst hotel I have stayed in in my life and I’ve slept in a few s*** holes in my time. First night I had to sleep fully clothed with my coat on the room was that cold.

What a fun show to be a part of once again. Whilst I don't think the Norbreck has seen a coat of paint for probably 30 years+ and resembled more a prison from the outside, it didn't detract from how good the event was. The exhibition area and ballroom were still in decent shape and more than big enough for everything there. Loads of different things to do and see as usual for a Play Expo event.

Huge thanks to all the pin loaners and all those who helped organise and run the event, hopefully a great amount was raised for our charity.

Highlights for me was Batman 66, the lock in rave party, £2.50 for a beer and also winning the high score comp on the Sunday, first time for everything I guess! :rofl:

Great to see the likes of @DanLewell, @kevlar, @newdos, @DRD and Mr Oddball Machine himself @ronsplooter, that woodrail machine was great fun!

Also big thanks to @Kelauce and @bethamari (lovely people btw) for sorting a payment I've been owed for many weeks by someone else who will remain nameless but who I'm none too happy with, you know who you are!

The only blip was the over eager security tosser who's mission it was to try and annoy everyone as much as possible over the whole weekend, what an utter jobs worth.

Here's to the next one.

I had a great weekend thanks to you guys

Massive thanks to the pin loaners. It's an incredible effort to go through, but hopefully you understand just how much it's appreciated, not just by everyone on the team, or even everyone at the show, but by the whole community. Please get in touch privately if you think there is more we could do to make you feel appreciated or have any suggestions in that area.

Thanks also to everyone that came along. I had a number of really positive comments from those I spoke to, and that really means a lot. Many also went above the call of duty by donating to our charity either from overpaying for stuff, or donating money from sold items or prizes won and so on. Really generous and very appreciated

Speaking of which, the helpers that rattled charity buckets or donated their time helping more generally. Superb effort

Hard to mention all the little things that make you realise just what a fantastic community we've all built around this hobby. I think everyone involved deserves a little pat on the back. Doing good things feels good, and long may it continue.

.. and on that note it was good to make some small progress on some future plans too. Plans that leave me personally optimistic that as a team we might have bigger and better things to bring to the community further down the line.

Fingers crossed :thumbs:

show seems to fly by even the extended lock in which was brillaint.

lucklly we were pre warned of the new parking charges at "Colditz" castle but was easy enough to find a space down the road by our favorite chippy

great to see some rare machines . Paragon has gone up from "nice to have" to "need to get one". it kept kickin our asses every time and is such a "looker" as well

thanks from Courtney for the positive comments on Star Trek 25th . She put a massive effort into resurrecting this machine from scrap in less than a few weeks so that the Trekkies could enjoy it the previous weekend and pin fans the week after.

Awesome show, still trying to regain use of my leg muscles from days of play and dealing with a full van of pins...

It was my first time bringing a machine - though I was obsessively over-checking and looking after it at first I'm pleased as hell that F14 didn't let me down for its first time being hammered since I took ownership + began restoring. 350+ games over two weekends according to audits! Not bad at all for a game as stupidly hard as that!

I'm guaranteed to forget names so I won't do anyone a disservice by leaving them off of a list, but MASSIVE thanks to everyone and all of the crew there for being absolutely top people and for going beyond all over the place - and for letting me shoulder-surf various fix-jobs that happened as I love that stuff, but I'm sure I just got in the way more often than not!

And just to add when I handed them he was extremely grateful, one of the highs of the show.
That and a random guy at the end of the show asked if I was one of the Northern Lights Pinball organisers.I said yes, and he responded by shaking my hand,and saying very sincerely, that these shows are so much better when NLP are there.Needless to say I was chuffed,proud and it cheered me up no end?

Last edited:
Finally got round to setting up WPT again.
It had 390 plays over the weekend, more than at any other show it's ever been to. It also had the lowest average score of just over 10mil, the highest score all weekend was just 37mil.
I must remember when taking a machine to a show, to change the settings to easy and return the outlane posts to factory or easier.

It had 390 plays over the weekend, more than at any other show it's ever been to. It also had the lowest average score of just over 10mil, the highest score all weekend was just 37mil.
I must remember when taking a machine to a show, to change the settings to easy and return the outlane posts to factory or easier.
F14 amused me similarly with the audits. Halfway through Saturday I decided to at least install the Easy preset and to artificially increase the 3rd ball insurance timer, but it didn't help much:
  • 400+ games over the two days
  • Average ball time: 24 seconds
  • 74% of those games got the insurance extra ball
  • Multiball only obtained seven times, and I'm sure I was about 4 of those
  • Excluding me, only a single score above a million
My game's an evil bastard

Any coins? I'm sure I saw a girl coining up a WPT on the stream.

There was another WPT there which was on coin play for a high-score competition (winner takes 50% of pot, charity gets the other 50%)

I'm not sure if that lady hadn't realised that the other 50+ games were on freeplay, or whether she was determined to get that prize money!

What some people will do to protect there high scores. Sheesh :p

What some people will do to protect there high scores. Sheesh :p
:rofl:I reset all high scores and audits before any show, was just surprised that only 1 set of initials went up - and even they were 'AAAAA'

I did spend most of my time over the weekend playing Spectrum to try and get to 1 mil, on 1 game got over 940k on first ball and still flunked it. Managed to get my initials up on a few others though :cool:

Any coins? I'm sure I saw a girl coining up a WPT on the stream.
I did find a £2 coin in there when I unpacked :)

Back
Top Bottom