What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noisy moving buck on Big Buck Hunter

JMP

Site Supporter
The moving buck was noisy (vibration type noise when moving) so purchased a couple of new nylon wear pads that fit under the buck and no change.... are they all like this? Will post up a video if needed.

It's not so noticeable when playing and volume up but sure it shouldn't be like this. Have checked and cleaned the track above, below and within the gap, no obstructions either. Motor housing is nice and tight too...

Any BBH owners or maybe @pinballmania able to help? Thanks.

We have had two bbh one was a bit noisy ...we used a light silicone grease on the main thread part ...kept an eye on this once a month as it was on site. (Checked for build up,, drying out, and an even distribution) The second one we had was the same, but that had a shaker motor that activated with the buck moving! (Amongst other things!) so no one gave a dam! As that machine was as noisy as hell!! But one thing we can say is the buck never stopped working on either of them. Hope this helps....

I was gonna say a little spray of silicone spray wouldn't go amiss.

Mine was noisy too. I managed to quiet it down a bit by moving the motor assembly slightly away from the playfield using washers.

I think it's a bad design as the threaded shaft is only attached at one end, if it was fixed both ends you would be able to align it more permanently.

But as said above, stick a shaker in and you hardly notice it.

Thanks all, sounds like the noise isn't unusual then...

I put some WD40 where the thread rod goes into the motor but didn't change anything. Will try it along the rod too, thanks Chris.

I'll get some light silicone grease, did you put this the full length of the rod that the white nylon block moves along?

I'd thought about washers under motor as noticed noise seems to be from there as well as the buck. Presume you used rubber washers like Stern put under bulb holders?

Cheers.

I would use plus gas rather than wd40 if you are looking to lubricate.

WD40 is a water displacement spray
Plus Gas is really a penetrating spray to ease dismantling etc but I find it a great lubricant. Saying that I haven't used it on a pin, would advise using the straw supplied with it as otherwise it goes everywhere

Lubricating made no difference on mine.

Wayne did advise me that the threaded rod really needed removing and straightening out but it had already left here by then.

Putting (metal or rubber can't see it makes any difference) washers under the motor assembly made the buck assembly tighter against the rod reducing the vibration, but too tight and it would slow the buck movement and affect it's sensitivity to shots.

Typical Stern cost cutting, all it really needed was a bracket and bearing at the other end.

Lubricating made no difference on mine.

Wayne did advise me that the threaded rod really needed removing and straightening out but it had already left here by then.

Putting (metal or rubber can't see it makes any difference) washers under the motor assembly made the buck assembly tighter against the rod reducing the vibration, but too tight and it would slow the buck movement and affect it's sensitivity to shots.

Interesting, can see the logic there... Have ordered silicone grease and 2mm rubber penny washers to try anyway. Thanks.

Is the noise coming from above or below the playfield?
Below the playfield there's little you can do, the reason why the screw/thread is only fixed at one end is because if there is any distortion or bending of the screw it would bind up completely. It's not a cost cutting measure.
It could well be the 'ski' the buck sits on above the playfield which is sticking as it moves creating the juddering action as it moves along the thread and catches the playfield. It needs to be perfectly horizontal as it moves, so ensure any spacers/washers that may have been added keep it horizontal.

It's always going to be a noisy mech, just as long as it doesn't damage the playfield you may have to live with it

Cheers Wayne. Hard to say where noise coming from..... playfield is good and now new nylon pads under the buck. Screw/thread looks straight to me too. Realising now I'll never eliminate it, but going to try the grease and rubber mountings under motor see what happens.

I can always turn the volume up.... Yee-haw...!

Just to update, re-greasing the rod helped a bit but putting rubber washers under the motor just made the buck too tight to the playfield. Given up now and just ignoring it, thanks all for help.

@Mooseman take note. Now with new legs, all working and looking tip top. ;)

I'd like a look at one of these mechanisms some day. I have spent quite a bit of time in Product Development looking at reducing leadscrew noise in electric prosthetic limbs.

Reactions: DRD
Back
Top Bottom