What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No keys help please

M4carp

Site Supporter
Alias
Lostcause
I’m picking up a STTNG on Wednesday in really nice condition but the current owners have lost the keys. Is there any quick/clean way without drilling to open Coin door?
It’s in a VERY nice house on 3rd floor (luckily very wide staircase) so can’t be drilling. Coin door is in mint condition and would like it to stay that way.
Don’t like the idea of balls flying everywhere when I tip it so any idea’s or tips much appreciated. Thanks.

so can’t be drilling. .

Without drilling... liquid nitrogen and a hammer and chisel...?

Honestly, drilling out a lock isn't such a big deal - I would be doing that over balls smashing up plastics every single day of the week.

some locks have a code on them - like 'H95' or 'A35' - indicating which fairly common key they need to open. the keys are usually also labelled.

Last edited:
Well I’ve tried the nail file lock picking on mine with no success, might try putting a screw driver in and turning might be lucky.
Otherwise it’s bring some keys with me or tip it up carefully if I can’t open.
This is not the type of house you want to be drilling locks in, would probably give the owner a bit of stress with the cream/white carpet?
Think I’m even going to buy a roll of floor protector to make sure the sack truck don’t dirty the floor up, dont think me and my son would be able to carry that down 3 floors easily.
On a brighter note my table lift turned up today?

The balls wont fall out of sttng due to the wire form
Screw driver in the lock and turn if you are lucky
Screw driver down the side of coin door and break back of lock most likely you will damage coin door a bit
Drill lock out

I've drilled locks out a few times when Martin decided that if he brought the keys with him his van would be over weight :). It's easy enough, just cover the floor first and you don't need a huge drill, just one larger than the bolt thread diameter, so probably about 6mm...ish

Think I will be drilling it out when I get it back then if the balls are safe enough, also my mate an ex power lifter champion (with a sore back) from the eighties who lives not far from machine has just offered to help which saves my son getting up at 4am to come to London with me. Getting old ain’t fun!
Also cutting it fine with my van as the sump has rusted so bad it’s leaking, new sump turned up today and being fitted tomorrow. Fingers crossed as I have to pick machine up Wednesday.

Tried the nail clipper trick without success, must be in the wrist action. Must ask my wife to try?

Why not drill with the vacuum nozzle held just below the work - that makes little/no mess if any (as long as the vacuum operator remembers to switch it on :oops:)

Do you have a key that will fit in? With a bit of movement up and down and turning you can normally pick them this way.

Why not drill with the vacuum nozzle held just below the work - that makes little/no mess if any (as long as the vacuum operator remembers to switch it on :oops:)
I would but they just want the machine out with no fuss or messing especially as I am paying quite a bit less than they wanted.

Do you have a key that will fit in? With a bit of movement up and down and turning you can normally pick them this way.
I’ve been trying that with my own machines and not having any luck.

Ok this won't help now, but buy a lock picking kit off ebay. With a little practise you can open 95% of locks. Even yale ones

Drilling and replacing the lock is best option in my view if attempts with other keys fails. It's cheap to buy new locks. Better than damaging a nice coin door!

Ask whether the backbox key has been lost as well. You might need other tools to get into it.

Ask whether the backbox key has been lost as well. You might need other tools to get into it.
I’m hoping it’s inside the coin door otherwise isn’t it just the case of undoing the security bolts on the lock plate? Not done it before though.

A small HSS drill bit straight through the centre of the lock. Then step up a size about 6mm? Something like that. Sometimes the vibration and snatching of the drill loosens the lock nut behind the lock and makes it go all sloppy making it easier. You can vacuum up the swarf once open, there's not usually too much anyway. Only took me 5 mins on one this week. As long as you're drill bits are sharp and your drill has some guts it's a breeze really.

Then you can get to the key on the back of the coin door and throw it as far away as your chucking arm will take it.

Then realise it's the same key as you need for the head. Start walking in the direction you just threw the key...

Back
Top Bottom