What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightly Backups

Nedreud

Registered
Hi @Paul,

Sure you're the right guy to mention this to, but most nights I end up being unable to use the site sometime between around 00:30 and 01:00 due to nightly backups running.

As pinballinfo.com is a primarily UK-focused pinball forum would it be possible to move the back-up time into a later slot, say 03:00, when there are likely to be very few users?

Or am I the only saddo still up playing on their iPad in bed? ;)

Regards,

Peter

Changed :) Have been meaning to change for a while since it has caught me out a few times also... :)

Backups happen once a day at the moment, plus the hosts backup every night. I'll find out what time the host backs up, and move our one 12 hours away... need something doing some time during the day to be honest...

Cheers
Paul

Changed :) Have been meaning to change for a while since it has caught me out a few times also... :)

Backups happen once a day at the moment, plus the hosts backup every night. I'll find out what time the host backs up, and move our one 12 hours away... need something doing some time during the day to be honest...

Cheers
Paul

Do we really need to backup every 12 hours though ? surely there isnt anything critical on the site that needs to be backed up that frequently ?

I mean if say the host backs up at 4am surely you are not suggesting you have a backup running at 4pm ? the inconvience of the backup would far outweight the usefullness of the 12 hour backup IMO

Not trying to tell you how to run the site(which you seem to do very well by the way. cheers), just my 2ps worth

Cheers
Ian

No worries Ian :)

The only reason I said about that is that lots of people moaned last time there was an issue. The host restored the last backup, however with over 100 posts / 150 registered users visiting every day, there was a fair bit lost, so just trying to mitigate a little.

Saying that we have been on our own box (thanks to our hosts) for the last year now, and havent had too many issues (it's due to come to an end soon, so will have to negotiate something, since the box is well over-specced for what we need :) !)

Saying that we have been on our own box (thanks to our hosts) for the last year now, and havent had too many issues (it's due to come to an end soon, so will have to negotiate something, since the box is well over-specced for what we need :) !)
Thanks, @Paul. Very minor niggle in the grand scheme of things, but hopefully it was a simple thing to change.

Regarding the box, I'm sure if it's a cost thing I'm sure there are plenty of folks who make a donation. This site is top quality. I use it more than anything else! I'm happy to be a "subscriber" which reminds me that I need to cough up to become a "Site Supporter 2015" ;)

Ok I know this is a minor problem but is the time of the nightly backup Changable ?

During the summer months it kicks in around 01:30 which is fine (for me anyhow) BT during the winter its at 00:30 every night and I always am in mid browse.

I can't be the only one that is a saddo sitting up past 1 am every night ?

I know whatever time you set it to it might be an issue for someone but would 4am or something not be less of an issue for most uk users ?..

Don't mean to moan, just a small niggle

Cheers
Ian

Back
Top Bottom