What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NIB

wayne g

Registered
Out of curiosity what apart from new Sterns is available?

The recent Popeye convo's got me thinking about who has what where tucked away?

Do any distributors still have any old but NIB stuff tucked away in store rooms collecting dust? if so why? because no-one wants it or because the owner in waiting for the perfect time to sell?

smile-1.png

When I was living out in Vancouver I actually went to John's shop a few times and played some pin. He showed me his NIB Black Knight, very cool to see that, think he sold it for $6K in the end.

I seem to remember a NIB Fish Tales surfacing recently.

Better factor in some money for new boards due to battery acid damage though....

oh, not looking to buy just idle curiosity as to whats out there?

i was told by someone working in op's recently that he knows of two NIB MM that his boss keeps hidden away amongst many other gems.

I TiltAlot' date=' post: 1678869 said:
I seem to remember a NIB Fish Tales surfacing recently.

Better factor in some money for new boards due to battery acid damage though....

Well if the rumours about remakes are true he needs to sell them now or he'll lose out!

i cant see him losing (if it's true).

they sell reproduction cars such e-type jags, and AC cobra's etc but people still want originals and are prepared to pay the dollar for them.

this can be said of many things of high value....hell i like tiffany lamps but cant afford a real one cicra 1890 - 1920....there are those however who can.

also take into account the cost price of them back in the day....

the story i heard is he has a pallet rack full of various machines tucked away saving for his retirement fund.he has his earners that do well but his creme is simply stored for the day he needs to offload them and retire when he sells the business.

like i said...if it's true...

the young an i was chatting to did seem quite genuine and knew a lot obout pins when i played a very tidy TOM in an arcade near me.

he also told me that andrew lloyd webber is a collector and has loads at his main home. he said he knew this as the company he works for services them all.

Late last year (I think?) a fair few of the 'A-list' Bally/Williams titles appeared on eBay US, all from one seller. IIRC, they were $20k BIN. Think there may have been a NGG or something for $16k. Can't remember if any actually sold, but goes to show they are out there - but as others have said, the odds of the batteries leaking and damaging the boards make them slightly less attractive than they initially sound.

I do agree that any NIB MM will still be worth a great deal even if this rumoured remake does go ahead. Collectors are collectors and the original will always be worth a premium. I mean, the proto CV ringmaster design causes balls to get stuck, but they fetch a higher price than the production run. Similarly, an original BBB would fetch a much higher price than the remake, despite being pretty identical. The value of an original run MM may drop slightly, but not significantly.

Edit: Just had a quick look, and found a thread on RGP about the NIBs on eBay last year.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec....609c88272?lnk=gst&q=NIB+ebay#6f1afaa609c88272

We'll see, but I reckon a nib mm for 5k will put paid to routed 14 year old mm's selling for 6k

i wasn't personally not talking about routed jonathan?

there are people out there who IMO would pay stupid money for a NIB MM,CC. there are also those out there that that would be sad enough to leave it sealed just to say they have one stashed away.

:confused:

wayne g' date=' post: 1678929 said:

there are people out there who IMO would pay stupid money for a NIB MM,CC. there are also those out there that that would be sad enough to leave it sealed just to say they have one stashed away.

Possibly but you would have to think a nib mm from 1997 is going to be a pretty rare thing. Bear in mind these didn't acquire their reputation until years after they were released. I spoke to someone recently who got his mm for 700 quid 10 years ago!

i know what your saying but i think you'd be supprised.im into motorbikes and it's and the same with them.

every now and then someone pulls a NIB rabbit out of the that that ends up in someones prized collection for silly money.

often these 'rabbits ' were tucked away in error and then forgotten about for a few years....then when the owner remembers that they have said rabbit the wait for the perfect moment/price to sell it.

a mate of mine did this with a Yamaha OW01 for those that know their sportsbikes...he made a fortune from a collector who now has this bike in a heated garage/showroom at his house.

it's the same with gauge steam trains and many other cokllectors items.

wayne g' date=' post: 1678929 said:

That, for me, is the most tragic aspect of collectors.

Whether rare or not, an object should be used for it's intended purpose (playing not routing).

It is like old Ferrari's, Jag's etc. Do you want to see one on a pedestal or with a skilled driver drifting it around a race track ?

Andrew Stockdale' date=' post: 1678972 said:
That, for me, is the most tragic aspect of collectors.

Whether rare or not, an object should be used for it's intended purpose (playing not routing).

It is like old Ferrari's, Jag's etc. Do you want to see one on a pedestal or with a skilled driver drifting it around a race track ?

i totally aggree andrew....

:(i hate the thought of things sat alone not being played with or driven once ina while.

There will always be a market for NIB stuff at mega silly money. Imo, a NIB original MM would go for a lot more than a remade version of it. That could be due to the bally name being used due to licensing restrictions by wms.

Thing about cars and bikes is that you never truly know the owners connection to them (unless you know them personally). I have an old celica gt4 that i bought when i was 21. Currently worth sod all, sat on my drive looking very sorry for itself, but the memories and experiences i had whilst using it will always be treasured. For that reason alone, i plan on spending a large amount of money that i will probably never get back in order to restore it to its former glory. Maybe in another 10 years it will be worth something, but its value means nothing to me anymore. Similar things could be said of pin collectors with certain pins that struck a chord with them at some point in their lives....

Bikes have the same (sometimes more) general appeal as cars, and i believe its all down to how truly awesome good ones make you feel. I am no road bike afficionado, but have entered many trial and motorcross events as a teenager as well as owned many of the available used bikes of that era (yamaha TY's - all models, bultaco 350, yz125-250's, suzuki rm250) Many of these bikes are now considered highly collectable and some of them go for a fortune!

Yeah but my point was, when was the last time you saw a NIB MM on ebay in the UK? Never!

All the ones in the UK are used examples, most of which were routed, with the usual wear and tear, slight insert lifting, scrapes on the sideart etc.

Now lets say JJP re release MM, I would wager most people would want a nice new, out of the box MM for £4500, rather than one from 1997 for £5800.

A re release can only bring the price of the current batch of MMs down.

It wasn't bolded, don't know if it's something to do with chrome but every now and again it fudges up my posts

wayne g' date=' post: 1678950 said:
i know what your saying but i think you'd be supprised.im into motorbikes and it's and the same with them.

every now and then someone pulls a NIB rabbit out of the that that ends up in someones prized collection for silly money.

often these 'rabbits ' were tucked away in error and then forgotten about for a few years....then when the owner remembers that they have said rabbit the wait for the perfect moment/price to sell it.

a mate of mine did this with a Yamaha OW01 for those that know their sportsbikes...he made a fortune from a collector who now has this bike in a heated garage/showroom at his house.

it's the same with gauge steam trains and many other cokllectors items.

Yup, check this out

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290601488893?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Now check this out as I wrote the article and it's my bike in the pic (I have two of these, used to have 3 at one point)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSXR750RK_GSXR750RR

Someone somewhere will end up paying top dollar as it's the same old story, mega ltd supply and large demand for these ageing classics.

lovely bikes!

that OWO1 that my mate had was still in the crate from japan when he sold it.

it went for 'silly silly money' apparently but he wouldn't let on how much....the git

biggrin-1.png

I will shift one soon and buy some trophy titles instead I think, already have way too many bikes (did that for a living for a few years also hence the collection, used to restore to concourse and make custom parts etc, loads of mither that's why I don't restore pinballs, been there done that with bikes although I could start up if I get the urge) pinball machines are safer, don't require taxing, insuring or MOT'ing, can be used in all weather etc etc seems like a better hobby in a lot of ways.

totally aggree mate.

i had a minor problem parking my old CBR600 a few years ago.

85mph,a thirty metre drag with the bike on top of me and a car on top of the bike,a kerb and finally a lamp post to be precise.:eek:

one knee replacement,one broken sternum,2 broken fingers and a 55 pint blood transfusion later tend to make one reflect on how dangerous bikes can be..lol

(to be fair i was doing just under 40 and the hit and run driver who slammed my bike from behind probably made my ride dangerous)

rolleyes-1.gif

the basket never even phoned an ambulance for me either and a luckily a passing motorist spotted me about 25 mins after it happened.

:mad:

on the other hand i have never had an electric shock from any of my bikes.

tongue-1.png

This is the same old familiar story that most of us bikers have, I nearly got killed when I was 19, I was on a 350 powervalve doing about 70 overtaking a car when the driver decided to turn right without checking his mirrors or indicating (lost holidaymaker making an emergency manoeuvre), I was airborne for 90 feet (according to a witness) before I hit the deck, it was carnage
sad-1.png
but a valuable lesson in life
wink-1.png
, Russ has a few tales to tell also and Stan was into fast bikes ... funny how we all ended up into pinball, there must be some common thread between bike mechanics and pinball mechanics which draws us in.

No interest in the Harley Davidson pin though
biggrin-1.png

I still have and regularly ride my 17 year old Triumph trophy. I have a great pic of Steve Ritchie sat on it when he was over for the show a few years back
smile-1.png

Yes, I also used to be a biker, I was into the 1970's RD & XS Yamahas, and started off on a FS1E. Used to love doing all my own servicing on the bikes.

I haven't got room now for any bikes in my garage now, as it's full of pinball machines...
rolleyes-1.gif

[attachment=214:XR600R2.jpg]
wayne g' date=' post: 1679272 said:
i cant bloody afford to run a sportsbike anymore.

having said that my last back tyre lasted 800 miles.

:oops:

OT or is it ON-Topic?? I don't bother that much with the “loose life or license†machines either although I have a few, one of my restorations was a 1986 XR (always wanted one as a kid), restored it to new condition about 8 years ago and I use that regularly, it had been off road from new by it’s previous owner and was totally trashed when I got it (even the frame was dinged), these are harder to restore than pins in a lot of ways, plastics and a lot of spares are non-existent, I scoured the planet for parts to get this one back to immaculate and fabricated some custom parts for it to take the SM wheels (notice rear drum brake on this machine) back wheel is a one off, front brake calliper set-up was also custom made, bike was stripped to fine pieces and every nut and bolt replaced or cleaned, everything polished, painted and rebuilt. It will never see rain or mud again. I could do a pinball to the same standard but can’t be ****d at this stage in life.

There is a notion that pin heads are geeks, don’t think I look a geek when I go down the road on this classic (probably the nicest example in the UK)

Back
Top Bottom