What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New UK pinball event - Daventry August 25th & 26th 2018

Please let's not turn into Pinside.

If it makes anyone happy, I have no opinion on the subject of comp rules. It's just a bit of fun. If I train hard (queue the rocky music), put in hours of dedication, watch Bowin and Elwin all day long and improve sooooo much I'm regarded as one of the best in the world............. I'll still never be able to leave my job and make a living out of it.

It's just pinball. I love it but it's a 'ball in a box'.

Can't wait for Daventry - will be epic. You can still change the format to my 'drinking pinball comp' if it makes everyone happy...............

Please let's not turn into Pinside.

If it makes anyone happy, I have no opinion on the subject of comp rules. It's just a bit of fun. If I train hard (queue the rocky music), put in hours of dedication, watch Bowin and Elwin all day long and improve sooooo much I'm regarded as one of the best in the world............. I'll still never be able to leave my job and make a living out of it.

It's just pinball. I love it but it's a 'ball in a box'.

Can't wait for Daventry - will be epic. You can still change the format to my 'drinking pinball comp' if it makes everyone happy...............

Agreed. Every mention of competition/tournement/world rankings on here seems to end in a bun fight these days. It hardly encourages people to get involved does it ?? :rolleyes:

Yes. Match play. Best of 3. Winner downs a pint. Move to the next pairing. The 'good' players will invariably get pi**ed quicker making them worse and evening up the field. Will turn into one great cr*p Shoot. Goes hand in hand with Beer + Pinball + Fun + Laughs (could possibly add on + sick). Won't prove a damn thing about who is the better players but will be one hell of a laugh.

Yes. Match play. Best of 3. Winner downs a pint. Move to the next pairing. The 'good' players will invariably get pi**ed quicker making them worse and evening up the field. Will turn into one great cr*p Shoot. Goes hand in hand with Beer + Pinball + Fun + Laughs (could possibly add on + sick). Won't prove a damn thing about who is the better players but will be one hell of a laugh.

Hotel booked, so put me and Josh down for this too :)

I'm assuming you have to be capable of at least launching the ball on the final game to 'win'?!

That's a bit of me :p

HI,

Planning to attend the event with all my parts …. www.onestoppinball.co.uk

If any one wants to pre order so that I def have the stock drop me a mail or have a bulk order for anything.

Also I will be ordering some stock from US in the next couple of weeks so its here for August if there is any specific parts you need that will fit in a flat rate box ( 13" x 15" x 14 " ) then I can add it to my order.

Looking forward to event and catching up with everyone.

Mel

I don't go to many tournaments but imho seeding comes down to a basic trade-off, you can either

1. Seed them, which supports regular players who systematically turn up to events by rewarding them with points and improving their chances of winning. As these players may well own a few of the machines required to make any event happen, looking after them is important. However the points hunters are going to more and more European tournaments these days which queers the pitch a bit. Regardless, seeding sees weaker players more likely to be used as cannon fodder.

2. Don't seed them, which encourages new folk into the hobby by giving nobodies a better chance of progressing in tournaments.

I can't see a clear winner here between these two choices, but on balance I think unseeded is the way to go as the active uk pinball population would benefit from growing. And to my mind, growing it is more important than over-professionalising it with points and prize money. Which is why my own ukcs event is unseeded and has zero prize money.

And regardless of how much Jennifer Aniston you throw at this (and now for the science bit) unseeded John Gray, who still does not even own a machine, knocked out Paul Jongma (the previous year's winner) in the last 32 at the last proper UK open in Wales which was his first ever tournament.

Have you punted this out to the European guys ?

These tournaments will probably have enough points in them to attract some of our EU friends

Does anyone have an old mailing list ?

On the point of parts etc. will there be any "Show Offers" going on? I may well get myself the backbox LED kits for SS, and 5 flipper rebuild kits for the two machines I have... Should the price be right. Anyone have any experience of this? Or is it just, you save on the postage, which in a way is a good deal too :)

Have you punted this out to the European guys ?

These tournaments will probably have enough points in them to attract some of our EU friends

Does anyone have an old mailing list ?

It's a bad time for a few of the regulars, I've had apologies from the French and Dutch contingents. Still we have had entries from Germany and Holland for the event so it has attracted a few.

Ok I’ve booked into the tournaments (god only knows why as I’m crap) and have booked vip tickets.

Flights and hire car booked for Friday, just need to book a couple of nights in the hotel now.
Am I reading it right that is £65 per room per night not per person per night ?

Calling hotel tomorrow to book twin room if any left

Was hoping to bring a few machines but a hire van and then £400ish for the ferry makes it unfeasible really ?

Ian

Seems exceptionally reasonable to me..

We could be there mid afternoon if needed to help set up etc?
Otherwise we might call into tilt to see what all the fuss is about ?

Back
Top Bottom