What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New UK pinball event - Daventry August 25th & 26th 2018

so each of the ten will have a spread of top to bottom players?

so each of the ten will have a spread of top to bottom players?

So effectively the seeding for this 'Open' comp has been takin place for the last 3 years - despite this only being advertised now?

I'm not sure what your point is? anyone who has asked me in the past has been informed, it's not a secret like you're making out. :hmm:

Actually I think Martin's old webpage may have stated it on there and I can ask him to state it once again.

Thinking of coming with my son for the weekend.

Clearly neither of us are going to do well but just wondering if you have to have a ranking to enter the competitions as I thought it might be interesting to have a go...

Was looking at getting the VIP so we can come and play for fun in the evenings, but will machines be available all weekend (outside of competition games) and how many competition games will we get if we don't progress (looks like nine games for each)?

Peter Blakemore already sacrificing much for Daventry by taking several machines and agreeing to organise 2 comps ,please appreciate it's an almost impossible task to arrange a format for the 2 UK comps to please everyone .

Guess I'll be unseeded then, as I've just asked to be removed from the IFPA rankings

Thinking of coming with my son for the weekend.

Clearly neither of us are going to do well but just wondering if you have to have a ranking to enter the competitions as I thought it might be interesting to have a go...

Was looking at getting the VIP so we can come and play for fun in the evenings, but will machines be available all weekend (outside of competition games) and how many competition games will we get if we don't progress (looks like nine games for each)?
Entry to comps is open to all.

I believe that VIP ticket will allow you to play the games in all sessions as well.

@Big Phil will be able to confirm

As with any knockout tournament, you want the best players (or teams) meeting at the latter stages, be it snooker, tennis, Judo, football, etc so seeding is done to try and keep the best apart in the early stages. It's perfectly normal and accepted sporting practice. The football world cup is a good example. It is also normal practice in pinball.

I am not trying to "write the rules myself" merely following best sporting practice. At the end of the day you still have to turn up and win enough of your games if you want to qualify regardless of who you play.

As with any knockout tournament, you want the best players (or teams) meeting at the latter stages, be it snooker, tennis, Judo, football, etc so seeding is done to try and keep the best apart in the early stages. It's perfectly normal and accepted sporting practice. The football world cup is a good example. It is also normal practice in pinball.

I am not trying to "write the rules myself" merely following best sporting practice. At the end of the day you still have to turn up and win enough of your games if you want to qualify regardless of who you play.
This is where I disagree the most.

"Best sporting practice" is surely that everyone has an equal opportunity.
What makes the UK cup so enjoyable, as well as the majority of all other PINBALL comps is the fact that anyone can play anyone in any round. The best player on the day will win whether they meet the second best player in the final or in the first round.

To then base the seeding on a ranking system that is flawed is also not "Best sporting practice".

That is the reason I have now withdrawn from the IFPA ranking. I am happy to face any player in any round. If I lose so be it, I don't want help in getting further in the tournament to gain pts, by being paired up against "lesser" players.

Anyway, this is a thread about the UK Pinfest, not the UK Open, which is only 1 of at least 6 comps being held over the weekend, as well as the vast majority of games being on free play on the main floor

I'm completely with Peter on this one. If you just want a knock-about fun comp with your mates, then feel free to organise that. If however you want a serious comp that follows internationally recognised standards, then some form of seeding should be expected.

Nothing forcing anyone to play in the open if a serious comp is not your thing.

Last edited:
"Best sporting practice" is surely that everyone has an equal opportunity.
What makes the UK cup so enjoyable, as well as the majority of all other PINBALL comps is the fact that anyone can play anyone in any round. The best player on the day will win whether they meet the second best player in the final or in the first round.

To then base the seeding on a ranking system that is flawed is also not "Best sporting practice".

That is the reason I have now withdrawn from the IFPA ranking. I am happy to face any player in any round. If I lose so be it, I don't want help in getting further in the tournament to gain pts, by being paired up against "lesser" players.

So with a different system, for example - one that picks players randomly, you'd accept that the best players could eliminate each other in the early rounds with some close matches, and the final could be the top seed completely crushing a much lower seeded player... and you think that would be preferable to having the crunch matches later in the tournament?

Just curious, because if the World Cup Final comes down to Brazil vs Saudi Arabia, and Brazil win 13-0... people would think it a farce.

Back
Top Bottom