What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New (Redesigned) Boards

Which Boards would you like to see re-made???

• Bally/Williams WPC89 Power Driver

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Bally/Williams WPC89 Sound

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Bally/Williams WPC89 DMD Driver

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • WPC Opto Boards (3/7/10/16)

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • System 11 A/B/C MPU

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • System 11 Single Display (eg. Elvira)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • System 11 Double Display (eg. Whirlwind)

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • System 11 Quad Display (eg. F-14)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bally/Williams WPC-95 Power Driver board

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Bally/Williams WPC-95 AV board

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
Fantastic! How many hours spent on that one board inc testing :D
Conservatively, around 9-10 hours build time. Takes around 30 mins to test every single solenoid. Testing is something that as far as i am concerned will always happen - nothing will ever leave here without being fully tested, either in a machine or on a test fixture (if 11B then it will be physically tested in a machine before despatch).

How about producing sound cards with improved components, amps etc..

Deffo doable. I dont build anything using unknown sourced components, and always look to known brands where i can. Example is the JJP Capacitors. I can get cheaper ones, but i wont since it compromises quality - the ones i replace with are better than the originals.

Sometimes though you have no option since parts just arent available. However in the case of the Sys11 boards as an example, 99% of components are sourced from reputable suppliers (Mouser/Digikey/RS etc). When it comes to things like PIA's and 6802 processers your options are somewhat limited, so i will take what i can get, however in those cases everything is tested before using it (the 6802's and 6821's I used were all tested prior to use - just as well since i bought a number of PIA's and two were faulty!).

With regards to older Audio boards (WPC89 for example) it would be a waste to upgrade caps to say audio grade Nichicon, since the source material isnt good enough quality to warrant the extra cost. Saying that though, it doesnt mean that you can use cheap rubbish though.
Pinsound have the market sown up with respect to audio upgrades though...

Unfortunately pinsound boards are only compatible with a couple of system 11 pins.. we upgrade these machines with the best LED’s and speakers however the sound boards are average at best. I think there is a market for producing the best quality sound using original roms..

Unfortunately pinsound boards are only compatible with a couple of system 11 pins.. we upgrade these machines with the best LED’s and speakers however the sound boards are average at best. I think there is a market for producing the best quality sound using original roms..
Yah Pinsound have been saying for a long time support would be coming for many games, early DE (Robocop) and also certain SAM games such as Family Guy which has an awesome audio package but the fidelity sucks. David Thiel has discussed the poor audio quality issues of this era Stern in interviews.

@Paul
What is redesigned about the sys11 board out of interest bud

The board is not a redesign per-say but predominantly a reproduction (My bad). The Rottendog boards are a redesign in that all the drive circuits use MOSFETs and have a complete different logic for incorporating blanking.

These boards are essentially a reproduction with some modifications and (what I consider) improvements.

- The daughter boards implement successive features that Williams REMOVED during the life cycle of the board (11 -> 11A -> 11B -> 11C).
- The sound/speech section is split between digital and analog. The digital section is on the main board. The analog section is on the daughter board. The daughterboard is only needed for 11/11A/11B.
- The amplifier is on a daughter board and only needed for Sys11.
- The digit display is on a daughter board and only needed for Sys11.
- The OST (OSL daughter board) is a chargeable added feature. See here for a demo of this (This is a stand alone version demonstrated - which i will also make available - however it is a piggyback board option on Victor's Sys11 Boards) :

- The OEM board uses SRC (resistor and capacitor networks). These are no longer available. Instead this board uses resistor networks and discrete capacitors.
- The solenoid drive circuits are identical to the OEM circuit.
- The switch matrix circuits are identical to the OEM circuit.
- The lamp row drive is identical to the OEM circuit. The lamp column drive can be identical but also supports the use of MOSFETs to remove the heat dissipating 27 Ohm @ 5W resistors (This is the option i build these with). It's possible to use a TIP107 (instead of a TIP42) to reduce the current required into the base but a MOSFET is just a better solution to reduce the heat dissipation.
- There is an LED indicating 18V (lamp matrix) power.
- There are LEDs indicating the coin door (MEMPROT) state and the flipper ground relay enable state.
- The display drive circuits are identical with ONE exception. The OEM circuit uses a 74154 4:16 decoder. This IC is a DIPW-24 and no longer available as DIPW-24. It is however available as SOIC-24 and using that would require a small adapter board. If you look at the RD MPU9211 you will see that it uses such an adapter. The SMT IC is mounted on the other side of the board which is why you can't see the IC. The circuit was changed to use 2x 74138 3:8 decoders cascaded together to produce the same 4:16 decoder result. The 74HCT138 (or 74LS138) is readily available as DIPN-16.

The way this works is that the base board will work as-is on a Sys11C system. System 11B needs an added piggyback DAC. System 11A also needs an added piggyback DAC (configuted diffrerently to the Sys11B one). System 11 needs the same DAC as the Sys11a, but also a Diagnostic Digit Display daughter board and a CPU Amplifier TDA2002 daughter board). The OSL piggyback is available as a chargeable add-on piggyback board.

As i've said before these will be custom built to requirements, and therefore have a leadtime of 2-3 weeks, however they are using through hole and are generally regarded in the USA as superior replacements to the RD boards. As a clue, Victor has a waiting list tens long just for these, let alone other boards. they will also be fully tested - either on my system 11 test rig or in the case of Sys11B in a real machine.

I may of missed it in your system 11 explanations, Victor mentioned an extra for the special solenoids particularly on Big Guns. "Big Guns uses the special solenoid playfield switches and there are two options that help with potential problems related to this" do you know what he means about this @Paul ?

Last edited:
I may of missed it in your system 11 explanations, Victor mentioned an extra for the special solenoids particularly on Big Guns. "Big Guns uses the special solenoid playfield switches and there are two options that help with potential problems related to this" do you know what he means about this @Paul ?
I asked Victor directly, since that makes more sense. here is his reply....

Special solenoids are not specific to Big Guns. All WMS3-9 and early WMS11 machines have special solenoids. This part of the system is problematic. A lot of boards got destroyed from locked on SST/SSD problems. That's what the One Shot Trigger board is for. It's designed to prevent these kinds of failures causing board damage.

-
-

The fuse board is a hardware solution. The OST is a software solution. Watch the videos. If that doesn't convince you then nothing will.

I will be selling the one shot Trigger board (the one in the second video) if anyone is interested, once the boards arrive.... few weeks probably. I Believe that this will work on the original boards to protect those.

I'll only be announcing boards available once i have them in my hands. But i do have a decent amount coming. The art (and what i will probably get wrong) is the quantities required. This will come over a few months.

Last edited:
Sys11_Bigguns.jpg

On the replacement Sys11 boards the oneshot is available as a piggyback board as shown above circled in Blue. As per the video, it is also available as an add-on which connects to the inputs and outputs...

1714071158472.png

(Two different - One using KK connectors, the other using Modular RJ45). Both will work for Real machines - probably easier to use the modular ones as it makes things tidier :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom