What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress New Pinroom

MartinY

Registered
I've started on my new Pinroom build, well actually first on a new garage build followed by the conversion of the old garage to the Pinroom.

Progress so far (new garage):
First couple of days on dig-out, hardcore and framing for the pour.
Then the pour:
20180722_123829.jpg
4 days later, the garage build starts - by lunchtime:
IMG-20180726-WA0000.jpg

Then end of the day:
20180726_192354.jpg

Day 3 the garage is up, roofed, tiled, doors on, drainpipes up and a day of adding and moving around soil (3 truckloads!) and digging for the duct / conduit across to the old garage for power and CAT 6):
IMG-20180815-WA0003~2.jpg

Garage is 10mx6m with an extra 1m on the right for a log store.

Now to seal the floor and move all of my crap over from the old garage to the new. This will be the actual new Pinroom:
20180702_193918.jpg

It's 10m x 6m with room for 17 pinball machines (I think). I'll have a small room to house the boiler in one corner and the dogs kennel comes in from the outside on another corner taking up space for at least 2 pins.

Sparky quotes are in, just need to find a good builder for do the internals!! Hopefully done by end of September / early October. Will post pics of the interior when that starts. Needs to be ready for the Funball Four in November, so a little tight on time but I'm not panicking just yet!

Hopefully most of the internals will be done in a couple of weeks ready for plastering. It's a brick structure with a lofted roof. Back wall is single skinned, but the front and one side are double with the wall connecting to the house 3 or 4 bricks deep.

Wooden frame going in with an air gap all around (timber battens attached to floor and ceiling and studs against those). 90mm Celotex in between the studs, with 50mm on top then plasterboard. 100mm Celotex on the floor then wooden floating floor which I'll carpet. Rockwool in the loft.

Putting in a recessed ceiling (around the sides) with LED strip lights running on a dream controller. A couple of big central heating rads (the boiler is actually in that room so it's easy) running a heating zone just for the pinroom with Nest. I'll worry about air con after the winter.

Hopefully have caught most things but it's a bit of a learning experience...

Last edited:
Wow! What an awesome size garage! Nice 911 too. Big car fan myself!

Dunc
Cheers - hopefully will be good when done. And I've driven the 911 about 3 times in the last 4 years which is a horrendous sin. I'm going to service it then sell it on I think. Doesn't go well with dogs (kids not so bad though)!

Nice job man!!!! was the new garage a kit by the look of it ?

Cheers

kev

Nice job man!!!! was the new garage a kit by the look of it ?

Cheers

kev
No, custom built. My next door neighbour has quite a few businesses but one of them is a company that makes stables. They still do quite a few stables but also garages, garden offices etc. He's also doing the internals for my new pinroom. They cut it all offsite though and simply assemble when they get here.

Last 2 "pre" shots...

6c0944ac8cb6c0176764714e404e21ba.jpgf9ac94d3e4bb6f80f7cb5c5570f53f13.jpg
The kennel in the corner of the first picture goes to a run outside. But I'm having it removed and building another one outside - room for an extra pin!

Day 5 of internal work (part way through at the time of the picture). Studs up, loft insulated with 300mm of rockwool, ceiling plasterboarded and 90mm of celotex in between the studs. Tomorrow, 50mm covering celotex to be applied, floor celotex and flooring then plasterboards for the walls. Should be warm enough!

Radiator tails and piping in back to boiler.

First fit electrics in for plugs, outside lights and cable run to new garage. Hdmi wiring for 4x4 matrix, tvs and projector plus speaker cabling in.

It's going to be tight to be 100% finished for the funball 4 but there will be a room, machines and cake. dcec05f0758bbec79b1ba82525e98156.jpg9d793776b9203503be83a0afce608312.jpg

Stuff piling up ready to go in...
966827aa713356595b858b283d3ecae8.jpg

proper job and nice speakers bud !!!!
Thanks fella - they sounded pretty good in the reference room and it's a relatively large room to fill soundwise hence the meaty fronts. Haven't bought the receiver yet so if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations that would be fab!

Thanks fella - they sounded pretty good in the reference room and it's a relatively large room to fill soundwise hence the meaty fronts. Haven't bought the receiver yet so if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations that would be fab!
If its volume for a large room the Roksan K3 (caspian a bit better) is great https://www.vickershifi.com/products/rokk3a/roksan-k3-integrated-amplifier

I have a hybrid valve/power transistor amp ( http://www.pathosacoustics.com/product-en/amplificatori-non-inpol-2-en/amplificatori-inpol-9-en.html )which is great musically but does not have the same power as the Roksan

Drew

Just realised you are looking for a surround amp/ receiver, sorry about that, I would go either Yamaha or onkyo

Arr you going to be listening to music whilst playing pinball? I just cant do it. Maybe I'm a freak?????

Yeah I have the cabling for speakers but didn’t put them in. Got a Sonos box in there as it was left over from something else and I don’t use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Arr you going to be listening to music whilst playing pinball? I just cant do it. Maybe I'm a freak?????

Once you hit that flow or "zone" which music can take you to, it's surreal, give it a go.

So music in the room: yes, not sure that I'll listen too much when playing, but it's all part of the party atmosphere. I have the games room next door with music so it will be sync'd through. So, also a bit of a dance floor in there for party nights (even when pinball won't be played!). Disco ball in the centre with pinspots (I had to get WAF approval somehow...). Also will put a projector in there so a possibility for bean bags and teenager hangout a little way away from the parents (when the kids get a little bit older).

And yes, a receiver not an amp but I am still on the fence a little on that point. Agree with Onkyo and Yamaha (I have surround amps with Sony, Onkyo and Denon in other rooms). But which model for these speakers?

I suspect there will be no music during pinball meets!

Disco room!!!

Plasterboard on the walls and floorboards to go before final internals (final fix electrics, carpet, plastering & painting and light wells). 9e688ab29f3e5a1b9ffff7f4641aa715.jpgb0a845d33de46b9232b42ba021f2a3f7.jpg

Dood
What/how are you putting the floor down? Those pictures don’t show any supports? Just insulation?

Cheers
Neil

Arr the floating floor method ! As @Neil McRae spotted!! Unfortunately you will need timber surports in between the insolation only where heavy items , like stairs, beds , kitchen units , doorways, large cupboard and yes pinball machine ,just in them areas,as these type of floors will Crush down about 1/2 to 3/4 in high traffic areas and where heavy items are situated !!
Looking impressive buddy!!

Hmmm, now you've worried me. Yes, 22mm interlocking floorboards going down. They've 100% assured me that the weight distribution will be fine! Might be interesting....

Back
Top Bottom