What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New members - say hello right here : )

Loft room!

Good luck with that pins weigh about 250-300 lbs. Hope you've got lots of friends willing to give you a hand moving it into a loft.
Once had to put a Banzai Run in an attic in an old back to back house. A *%#*%#¥ Banzai Run ! They weigh more than Norfolk !

Hey!!!!!

Quick intro post. For those that don't know me, my name is James, i've been addicted to collecting retro amusement related stuff for about 7 years and been an arcade fan in all senses of the word for most of my life.

A lot of people already know me, i'm not new to the video game scene by any means, I love pinball but i'm just awful as a player. I can't see too well so I lose the ball and it gets quite frustrating on the newer games so i'm a huge fan of the older EM stuff and the early 80's games.

I don't own any pins yet - I almost owned a couple but passed at the last minute. It is something I want to get into and have a few of eventually. I just haven't found the right ones.

I own about 150 video games which a lot of you might have seen at Play Expo, in short I do it for the buzz of seeing the next generation of gamers get into the older games, I regret I never get much time at the shows to come over the to pin section and play - it's just the way that being at an event can be.

I'm a collector and repairer first and running a small business to keep a roof over their heads second.

I don't always remember people's name by their face until i've spent time with them but the kettle's always on in our tent at events so pop by.

Hope to learn plenty and participate as much as I can here as well as in the video scene.

:)

Welcome to the forum James, thats a hell of a lot of vids

If you've watched much Simpsons you'll know the parody of: "A cab is a lot like a beer, you have one, then you want another and another and then another..."

It's all my Mrs' fault, she bought me my first cab and the rest is a bit of a blur!

If you've watched much Simpsons you'll know the parody of: "A cab is a lot like a beer, you have one, then you want another and another and then another..."

It's all my Mrs' fault, she bought me my first cab and the rest is a bit of a blur!
Lucky you with your wife causing your problem mine just gives me problems!

Welcome.

Welcome to the forum James :thumbs: Your other post about getting games from the US has re-inspried me to hunt down my grail vid, Outrun :D Wanted ads to appear on here and UKVAC shortly.

welcome James, i've met you at a couple of shows briefly and always been impressed by seeing you run about like a blue ****d fly the whole time helping other folk out on the vids side. you seemed to be pretty much at the epicentre of the UK vids scene. i hope you get a pinball in soon, and look forward to watching the addiction grow. as a first pin, if money weren't an option, which of these would you pick: a 1960s or 70s EM like Fireball; a 1980s early solid state game like Gorgar; a peak-popularity Bally Williams 90s title like Creech; or a recent Stern game like Pirates of the Caribbean?

welcome James, i've met you at a couple of shows briefly and always been impressed by seeing you run about like a blue ****d fly the whole time helping other folk out on the vids side. you seemed to be pretty much at the epicentre of the UK vids scene. i hope you get a pinball in soon, and look forward to watching the addiction grow. as a first pin, if money weren't an option, which of these would you pick: a 1960s or 70s EM like Fireball; a 1980s early solid state game like Gorgar; a peak-popularity Bally Williams 90s title like Creech; or a recent Stern game like Pirates of the Caribbean?

Thanks and yes it is a bit of a task keeping 100+ games running. I'm incredibly grateful to the other guys that join the team on the big shows, they're proper troopers and i've taught them how to "fonz" cabs into operation as much as possible. You know all the little quirks of your own machines and know when it's a chip that wants pressing down or a wire thats worked loose.

Difficult question, for about a year I was lucky enough to have some of LukeWells' pins in my old "Lair 2" as he called it (ask JMP and a few others who've been about that - yes I was mad enough to rent a second apartment to put games in). I had a Blackout, Fireball, Centaur, one other I can't remember right this second and a Zaccaria Moon Flight.

I'd nagged Luke to get that one going - it was just so me from being about 4 or 5 years old standing on a stool playing that in a hotel games room on holiday just before the Space Invaders invasion happened.

So, as a personal pin, i'd love to buy a couple of 70's EMs definitely, hopefully with a decent printed manual or where there's a really good scan online so I can follow and learn to keep it going. I've become really fluent with PCB repair so keeping early 80's Williams style games going shouldn't be a problem either, fairly similar to vids just a different type of output to the playfield rather than a monitor.

Everybody wants an Adams Family or a Twilight Zone - i'd have those in a heartbeat for hire out as I know they'd do well. I hire to a few beer festivals and they're always asking for pins as well as video games. Price on those two scares me just a little bit so i'm building up into it like I did with video games, now I tend not to flinch at buying a vid at £1500+.

I'm not a fan personally of DMD games - mainly because I just struggle to follow the gameplay across a playfield and a screen - or maybe i've just never had time to spend on my own with one for long enough to learn all the rules and fully appreciate the game. I did enjoy playing the new Star Trek and TRON at JMP's house a couple of years ago.

Simpsons and Family Guy i'd have at home - I think the samples in them would keep me entertained for hours as well as the gameplay. Any game has to keep you entertained, that's its function. Although to me, a non-working game is more fun in many ways.

I think its a miracle that vids and pins that were designed 30+ years ago that the manufacturers never thought they'd be being used 3 years later let alone 30 survived after being taken off an operating arcade floor and then fell into our hands to be loved and looked after and if our kids take up our enthusiasm for them when they get older then they'll survive even longer.

I'm building for my future, everything I do now is to allow me to keep an amount of vids and hopefully some pins when I retire, when I can spend as much time as I want on them. Some guys say they can't see that far and don't think they'd be interested in another 10 years - I say, sell me your stuff, i'll look after it, someone will want it.

Hi guys,

My name is Dominik and some of you might probably know me from other forums... I'm an enthusiast but also a freshman because I only started a year ago ;) so I still have to learn a lot. I thought I'd introduce myself shortly before posting some "ads"

I'm 37, from Germany and was ever addicted to all kinds of electronics, mostly computers. So I started my VPin in mid 2015, but didn't finish my own project since then.

Now I'm trying to create and develop some nice mods and replacements for all kinds of pinballs.

Mostly I sell DMDs which are driven by PIN2DMD firmware created by lucky1 and steve45

Newest "child" is a version specially designed by/for me creating a dmd for SEGA 192x64.
But there will be some other mods in the near future! [emoji5]

Greetings,
Dom

Back
Top Bottom