What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Heighway Owner

Others have said that they received Alien pins with boards that were stamped Pinball Brothers.

If they have been savvy they will have transferred the IP / goods out a long time ago and sold or licensed them back to Heighway as a separate entity. I'd be surprised if they had left it this late in the day to asset strip the company.
Maybe, but they can't just transfer assets of value out to a different legal entity - well they can, but it's an avenue of challenge by any creditors who want to pursue their money. Im certainly not saying this has happened in this case, but if I was a Creditor to Heighway Pinball Ltd, Id be asking the question for sure.

So today I got some random friend request on Facebook from someone I don't know talking about Andy Heighway threatening him with legal action and I'm like 'WTF'? How does he even know my name or my past with Andy? Then I log into Pinside and then here and see the absolute **** storm and notice that I'm still being named dropped by Andy.

First thing, a massive, massive thank you to everyone who donated to Daves GoFundMe, if Andy wants to paint a picture of a 'toxic UK pinball community' then how does it explain the massive outpouring of support for someone who clearly deserves it.

Second, Well done Dave for everything, it's been a **** couple of years for you and you've done extordinarily well to cope with it. I'm proud to call you my friend and I'm sure there's a silver lining in this for you.

Third, I find it almost comical that over 5 years later I'm *still* getting blamed by Andy for his ****ups. Hey Andy, if you are reading this, **** you. If you want to sue me, then ****ing sue me. I said that 5 years ago and I'm saying it again now.

I haven't been following this but its clear from the interview he's a bull****ter.

One thing im confused about? Dave didn't want a contract cos it would affect his benefits. But why is there a gofundme page? Is it being declared to the DWP?

Was it Daves choice to work unsalaried? If not why didn't you just tell him to bugger off years ago?

I might have spectacularly missed the point here and apologies if so but I can't figure out what exactly happened?
The DWP will dropkick you for any reason at all, including the reason 'we feel like it' and 'we have secret targets to meet' (though that's a different gripe than applies here.) Therefore when your housing arrangements are not handled correctly they will stop them regardless of your work arrangements.

And when your 'employer' isn't man enough to pay what you are owed, you end up with absolutely **** all at the end of it, no benefits, no salary and no 'contract' payment - and until it ends, you're living arrangements are effectively being held over your head to make you keep on working for them.

There's a reason people have been talking about the Modern Slavery Act.

The unbearable ****ing irony of all of this is that Dave is being ridiculously and unfairly punished by the system for doing exactly what they want every benefit recipient to do in the first place... get off them and sustain themselves. But that's what happens when you distort the benefits system because you're worried about scrounger boogeymen.

Last edited:
I did my very best and understand that I fell short of most people’s expectations

The problem was that most people's expectations were that your would balls it up, especially those people who actually had the misfortune to have direct dealings with you.

Maybe, but they can't just transfer assets of value out to a different legal entity - well they can, but it's an avenue of challenge by any creditors who want to pursue their money. Im certainly not saying this has happened in this case, but if I was a Creditor to Heighway Pinball Ltd, Id be asking the question for sure.
Not late in the day, no, but the suggestion is that they asset stripped Heighway months ago, possibly shortly after they took over. With that amount of distance it might be harder to prove fraudulent intent vs simply a company that has run out of money.

Not late in the day, no, but the suggestion is that they asset stripped Heighway months ago, possibly shortly after they took over. With that amount of distance it might be harder to prove fraudulent intent vs simply a company that has run out of money.
The preparation in advance doesn't keep Heighway out of the clear, strictly speaking, as such a move would be suicidal and against the better interests of the company, opening him up to charges of negligence or personal liability for debts. Of course, the trick is to raise the difficulty of such claims to a point where it is unlikely - and expensive - to make those charges stick.

I've found some of Dave's earlier posts which shed some light on the situation.

So if you refused shares in the company why are you being chased for any of it's losses?

Deffo going 'no win no fee' on that one.

Good luck with that one. They don't take on any case, only ones they think they have a good probability of winning. If any one gets one here just point them to this thread, pinside and pinball news. and I'm sure they'll run a mile in no time. If not, our collective £/$ will be enough I'm sure to tie them up in knots for a long period of time which these people certainly do not like.

In fact, as most are so sickened by this whole fiasco, we could start a campaign/fund to go after the Heighway man himself? I've not lost any money personally but love this hobby and happy to help any way I can.

To be honest I think the investors at Heighway Pinball did very well to keep the company afloat for as long as they did. When I left the company it was touch and go whether it would close at any point. Creditors were owed hundreds of thousands of pounds and the staff were working hard to complete games as far as they could in the absence of missing components due to no money available to pay for them. I felt bad because I recommended a small local company to manufacture parts for the Alien machine and later found out there was no intention of paying the bill. Luckily the bill was paid just before court action ensued. The inherited debt must have been huge though and when I popped into the factory at Christmas it was clear games were being shipped but far too much money was being pumped in to clear the backlog of debt.

I followed the company with interest after leaving and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. In the right hands from the start I think there was great potential for it to be extremely profitable. With staff wages being delayed and the office phones ringing off the hook from people demanding their money, I felt I had to leave before it was ultimately shut down. The staff at Heighway were a great team and very committed to delivering the product but sadly the company lacked the correct direction until it was too late. Sorry folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm informed by Roger that while they didn't manage to clear the whole deposit backlog they inherited, they made sure every customer order they got after they took over, they've honoured.

I'm informed by Roger that while they didn't manage to clear the whole deposit backlog they inherited, they made sure every customer order they got after they took over, they've honoured.

A local friend of mine ordered an Alien and a FT kit about 6 months ago through the Austrian distributor. He received them a month or two ago. He ended up with a deal on the FT, the distributor gave him a full machine with some proto parts on it with a discount.

I'm not sure when the distributors ordered the machines, but I don't think they were distributors at day one.

I look forward to playing them both, but I'm expecting a cold chill up my arms when I touch those flipper buttons.

After reading this thread as I do every few days. It is amazing on how much stuff is getting dug up from other 'ex' contractors and employees. So I am going to stick my opinions in too.

I worked in the early days after Ewan left, and I must say Ewan only worked on Circe to my knowledge. I dont think he had anything to do with Full Throttle or Alien. So how the hell can he be blamed apart from the fact he successfully got money out of Andrew? Ewan should be given a medal.

Let's blame Phil Palmer who bought one of the Heighway Full Throttles only to take f all on site due to continual problems!

The early days of FT we had **** hardware. Money and time got wasted on daft ideas that would never work. I expressed this to Andrew and I was ignored or told to 'make it work'.

Romain got on board just before I quit. He was very clever but sadly nothing was given time to test properly.

Back then the investors put lots of money in - I actually feel sorry for them as they have lost hundreds of thousands of pounds.

The first factory was taken on way too early in my opinion. But Andrew wanted his name in big letters over the door.

I told him to stop telling the pinball world delivery dates - and 'you will see the proto working at this show' as if you dont deliver - you look a twat. It is better to keep quiet then go 'LOOK WHAT WE DID' - that would gain more respect in this community. You dont see JJP and Stern releasing white wood photos.

I signed an NDA between myself and 'Heighway Pinball' who no longer exist. I do have a photograph done from my phone of the document I signed as Andrew did not supply a copy despite me asking many of times.

Redline (the rock band) who supplied music for Full Throttle did not get paid for months after agreed. In fact Ade the lead guitarist has lost his £1000 he put down on a Full Throttle as a deposit. He asked for this back when the company was taken over but it has not been paid. I was getting texts and emails from my pals asking me when they would get paid. OH - they also got no royalties per game either. Got in touch with the licensing guy the other day of the Redline music and I do not think another Full Throttle can be made with Redline's music on without new payment / contract.

Ian Richardson did the art for Full Throttle - another mate of mine. He draws for Marvel/2000AD and other comic books. He is a world class artist. It took him MONTHS to get his money, and by the end of it - he signed away all of his future 'rights/royalties' just to get his measly £1,000 owing. Oh and most his artwork is on the game still! It was not completely re-drawn!

Luckily - I quit after final payment for my work was given - and I asked for zero credit on Full Throttle. Which I am happy about.

In the early days AH had great passion for the game, but was impossible to work with. Dave S got talked to like something you trod in, and everything he has posted I will also confirm to being true. I was offered a full time job with the company on the books at the factory - which I declined as I would of had to relocate my music studio to the company address - as well as rent a flat or live in a B&B and go home at weekends with only £30 a day in my pocket. Let me think on that one.... On jacking in - I was also told I didn't seem to care about the company as I refused to sit in to 2am skype conversations with the USA part of the company. I have no idea if people like Brian have been paid. At that point - I quit pinball, and only recently got back into it......

If you have a Heighway pinball - then who the hell will build spares ?? The node boards are crap. Use mini/micro USB connectors right next to VUKs that crack the solder on the boards... The only good things are the coils. I would be shocked if more than 200 Heighway Pinballs exist. So what is the point in doing repro boards? Why not make WPC CPU boards that will sell bucket loads. Stuff will fail as it is made with the cheapest components. if your Heighway Pinball works - then get it sold quickly to someone you do not like.

If anyone wants to sue me for my post on here - then you are more than welcome but everything on this post is true in my opinion. I was shocked to see the Pinball News interview, and it still made AH look crap - even as he had the final call on what was released.

Pick holder, what was your job for the company

I will let you know if you sign an NDA.

I didnt really have a job title but I worked on audio, electronics, mechanical stuff, wiring and put ideas into designs.

At that time it was myself, Andrew and Dave S working on a dining room table in a house in Wales that smelt of cat ****.

I worked in the early days after Ewan left, and I must say Ewan only worked on Circe to my knowledge. I dont think he had anything to do with Full Throttle or Alien.

That's right, I was brought in right at the start when Andy was still living at the house with the pool. It's true what Dave was saying, the annex wasn't even remotely close to being livable. Apologies if this is rehashing old ground so skip this message if this all sounds familiar but I feel I may as well tell my story as everyone else is doing it. I have the dubious honour of being the 'first paid employee' of HP.

Back in 2011 I did a presentation on FreeWPC at the UK Pinball Party, which was some software I was working on with Dominic Clifton and headed up by Brian Dominy. Brian had written the huge majority of it and me and Dom were working on code for TZ and Corvette respectivally. A couple of months after that I moved abroad.

Then in June 2012 I got contacted by Andy asking him if I wanted to join his company to help create Circe, I would be bringing to the table my 8 years experience as a pinball tech and my software experience of FreeWPC, which the Circe prototype used. This was quite exciting for me and a dream job, so I hopped onto a plane (Andy paid half my fare, roughly £300 IIRC) and came to work for him in Rhymney. For the first couple of months I was staying at the house with me, Dave, Andy, his then girlfriend and the constant stink of cat ****.

It stunk of cat **** because Andy lived near a busy road and I don't think he would ever let his cats out of the house. Consequently the whole place stunk of cat ****.

In any case, it rapidly became clear that Andy had no ****ing idea what he was doing, both in terms of managing people and in technical terms. As an example of his lack of technical knowledge, I have this email I sent to one of colleagues in early July 2012:

One thing that came up when chatting to Andy tonight was the subject
of flippers. I think he was expecting to use 'Gottlieb' style with
50V EOS switches to switch to the holding voltage. I explained the
problems with this approach (high voltage wearing down the contacts,
the need for maintenance) and how Data East/WPC handle it (digitally
controlled switching). Personally I feel that we should be doing it
the solid state way, I take it this would be your preferred method
also?

This was on the eve of him going to go speak to a board manufacturer, on his own. A lot of money was wasted because Andy refused to listen to his technical advisers and had no ****ing clue how a pinball machine worked internally.

At the end of July 2012 I remember having a massive argument with him and walking off the job. This was primarily due to him refusing to sort out a contract as up until this point I had been working without one. When I asked him to get one sorted, he gave me a boatload of excuses, saying he'll have to get one written up by his lawyer, that it would cost him hundreds of pounds of money to do so. I flat out refused to work for him unless we both had signed contracts and he took this as some kind of insult. If you want to see an example of Andys narcissistic behaviour, here's an excerpt from an email I received from him after I left:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
26/07/2012

Hi Ewan,

To be honest, I am still shell-shocked by what happened yesterday and in particular, by the things you said to me.
The problem is, that you have made it very difficult to come back from this position. If you go to ANY company in the land, and say to the boss:
1. You have NO confidence in him or his ability to deliver a product
2. He is living in a big house with a pool so he can afford to pay more wages
3. He should start selling his assets if he is serious about building a business
Well, I think you know the answer to what 99% of bosses would say or do.

Also, you do not know my relationship with Dave so to suggest that I am using him or abusing him is, quite frankly, untrue. Dave and I may butt heads, but we have been friends for 2.5 years and know each other very well.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But even then it was clear to me that he was a serial bull****ter and the way he was treated Dave was bordering on criminal. So I left and refused to come back until he paid me for the work I had already done and presented me with a contract we could both sign. The amusing part of this was that he had an NDA ready for me to sign and constantly badgered me to sign it, but couldn't find the time to get a contract written up.

To his credit, it took him about a week after I left for him to pay the ~£500 he owed me but it took him another couple of weeks to get a contract written up, which was amusing seeing as it didn't even cover 2 sides of A4 paper. IIRC it was for around £11k / year, although he first tried getting me on a zero hours contract and offering me shares, which I declined.

Once he had a contract ready for me to sign, I started working for him again, which would have been just before the UK Pinball Party in August 2012. I was expected to babysit the prototype machine for the event and generally help out, but Andy was expecting me to pay my own travel costs and accommodation. This to me was unacceptable and Andy could not understand why I would deserve to be reimbursed for my expenses. Again this was indicative of the fact Andy had no clue about managing people and just expected people to do things for him 'for free'. Andy did eventually agree to reimburse me but IIRC it took a couple of weeks of me pestering him for it. Bear in mind this figure would have been around £200, considering how much money he had just raked in it shouldn't have been a problem.

Constantly trying to manipulate people out of what they were owed by him seems to be his forte, he'll try every trick in the book to make it seem like it's your fault he owes you money and that you don't deserve it.

In any case, it was pretty clear to both of us that my continued employment with him wasn't going to work. He wasn't listening to my technical advice and his general attitude was that unless you said 'Yes boss, that's a great idea' then you weren't any use to him. I remember him saying at one point that 'A business is not a democracy', whilst that may be strictly true, it's indicative of his lack of ability to listen to what more knowledgeable people are telling him. I have plenty of other stories along these lines but I'm starting to ramble here, so I'll start to wrap it up.

In early September I stopped working for him and moved back home, which was a mutual agreement between me and Andy. I had one weeks notice written into my contract, I asked him at the time if he required me to work my notice period and he said no. I have written evidence of this which came in handy later. When I received my final paycheck I noticed that he had failed to pay me my notice period. When I asked for this, he went bat**** mental and flat out refused to pay it, as he couldn't understand why I should be paid for work I haven't done. This was highly indicative to me that he had no clue how to run a business and never had people working for him before. I ended up taking him to an industrial tribunal to recover those funds, 3 days before we were due to go to the tribunal he finally relented and paid me 75% of it.

All things considered, I got off lightly. All I had lost was a good job in another country that I had left to work for him, my reputation in the UK pinball community and about 6 months of my life.

Just checked my records and need to clarify a few things. The expenses I was owed from the UKPP was around £130, which roughly broke down to £50 for the train ticket, £50 for the hotel room, £10 for a takeaway and £20 for a taxi to and from my hotel, as he hadn't managed to secure a place for me at the event hotel.

So how the hell can he be blamed apart from the fact he successfully got money out of Andrew?

The main reasons why Andy is still ****ed off with me is that I remained friends with Dave after I left and I would talk to him on a semi-regular basis. I was hearing about some of the things that were happening to Dave and trying to give him advice on what to do. Andy knew about this and was furious that he couldn't manipulate Dave to his liking. For years I've been wanting to tell people about Daves experience but it wasn't my place to do so. In hindsight, maybe I should have spoken up earlier, but as I recently said, it wouldn't have been fair to Dave as it was his story to tell.

Also me popping up on various forums from time to time and stating the facts about my experiences and the Hydrofoil venture also didn't exactly get me into his good books.

At the end of the day, Andy has no one else to blame for his failures except himself.

Unfortunately, by this point I have very few current feelings on the matter beyond raw anxiety and imposter syndrome.

Those who know some of my side of the story, feel free to speak up on my behalf and I can yay or nay. Ask me questions and I'll do my best. I'm not in a terribly good mental position yet to process it all over again, but the floodgates have burst and there is no stopping it now anyway.

Sorry to hear that. If you register with a local GP he can help you access professional support

Sorry to hear that. If you register with a local GP he can help you access professional support

Tried that, multiple times. Every time I had to move I'd slip between the cracks in the system and have to start again from scratch with the same months-long wait. To this day I still can't believe I'd found a region with even less-resourced mental health services than Northern Ireland was.

And Ewan is right. Many was the time when if I raised a particular grievance, particularly to do with work rights and ownership, Andrew would hit back with 'what has that **** Meadows been telling you' - like I was incapable of forming opinions or researching rights on my own. This would inevitably be followed by a tirade on how underhanded / untrustworthy / unemployable (tick one) he thought Ewan was, how could I be friends with somebody trying to sabotage and bring down the company, and / or demands to know what I'd been telling him.

To continued from Ewans post - basically this continued after he left.

A conversation would go:
AH: We need to build this.
Me: It wont work....
AH: Here are the drawings.
Me: It wont work, it is not possible using the parts you want to use.
AH: Let's try it - build it.
Me: Okay.
(Two days of forking about)
Me: It doesnt work
AH: What if we do this.
Me: It still wont work.
AH: Let's try it
(another day of time wasting)....
Me: I told you it wouldnt work.
AH: You are the technical person, why not?

Some ideas simply could be described as terrible and a lot of the time impossible or impractical.

I was told we would test the flipper mechs for a million flips. So I did a sketch on a bit of paper on how this could be done with a ball on a loop. I worked out it would do a flip every 10 seconds on average. This would take nearly 4 months running 24/7. IF the machine didnt break down, or need coils changing or anything else. This idea was sheleved as we did not have 4 months to perfect a design. I still dont know why Bally/Williams mechs were not used.

A good manager LISTENS to people they EMPLOY to give them ADVICE.

Can anyone see a pattern?

Aye, nothing worse than having to deal with someone you know knows far less about a technical subject than you do, but is senior and therefore, ultimately, you can't do jack **** except leave. Worse still is when these people dictate timelines to you based on absolutely no first hand experience. They wouldn't take their car into a garage and tell the mechanics there how long it would take to change a clutch, but for some reason when it's their business they feel like they can.

This kind of attitude is not particularly unique in small business circles, sadly. It ends up making everyone who works under them feel dejected and frustrated - because it's a toxic combination of feeling like your boss is suspicious of your answers, timelines, etc and just thinks you're being lazy, and not being respected in your field. Most employees, even low level ones, want to feel like their opinion matters.. if you're just made to feel like a cog in a machine, or worse - untrustworthy, then that's usually terminal.

Never really understood why they didn't use Bally/Williams mech's either instead of bespoke, would have cut months off the R&D. But then again money can't be "spent" on R&D if your going down that route.

Having also re-read the interview on Pinball News. I would advise Dave S on here (and off here!) to stay well clear of that man.

It is fine if he wants to go online and moan about people. But when people come up on forums and have a say against him, then the words slander and sue get thrown around an awful lot.

I do not think a court case would get any money out of him, as I bet his assets are in different peoples names currently. I have no proof of this. It is a guess but I bet you I am right.

On the subject of 'The Pinball Brothers' taking over Heighway Pinball - was it just to get the Alien/Queen license - I doubt it. I do not think they knew how bad the business was run. Those guys also put so much money in over the years. Okay, they can probably afford it. I did say on this forum many times to GET YOUR MONEY BACK. I sadly keep seeing that people have lost money, and if you are 'lucky' enough to get an Alien or Full throttle. Treat it with kid gloves as WHEN it fails. It will be a paper weight. Saying that at this moment in time I would guy a Full throttle or Alien for £1000 if it was offered an would throw in a PROC and attempt to re-write the game.

Circe and Full Throttle are good playing games, nice shots. Dave is a great designer. If he was in america I am sure he would get work from Stern or JJP. He really is so into pinball design. I also would bet he did a lot more in Alien than is let on too ;)

Aye, nothing worse than having to deal with someone you know knows far less about a technical subject than you do, but is senior and therefore, ultimately, you can't do jack **** except leave. Worse still is when these people dictate timelines to you based on absolutely no first hand experience. They wouldn't take their car into a garage and tell the mechanics there how long it would take to change a clutch, but for some reason when it's their business they feel like they can.

This kind of attitude is not particularly unique in small business circles, sadly. It ends up making everyone who works under them feel dejected and frustrated - because it's a toxic combination of feeling like your boss is suspicious of your answers, timelines, etc and just thinks you're being lazy, and not being respected in your field. Most employees, even low level ones, want to feel like their opinion matters.. if you're just made to feel like a cog in a machine, or worse - untrustworthy, then that's usually terminal.
The kicker is that not only is the self-importance business owner attitude there - but it is backed up with an abusive disregard for other people.

Horror story material boss.

Back
Top Bottom