What's new

New deacals

Moorey

Site Supporter
If a cabinet is good but just has faded decals is there any good reason why not to apply new ones directly on top of the old ones after giving it a clean to remove all polishes.

You may loose money and/or desirability on it depending on the pin. Faded original often preferred over repro decals.

This will only get more and more the case as less unfettled originals survive down the line

IMO

Decals seem to amplify any imperfections in the cabinet, it would have to be VERY good condition not to show anything from below.

Perhaps Radcals might be suitable? they are a bit thicker and don't require removal of the side rails.

And if it’s not aligned EXACTLY over the old ones, the art underneath shows through if they’re a light colour decal

Don't shortcut application of decals.

Sand down to bare wood and repair any dings, dents or missing corners.

Prime the wood ideally with a putty paint then, black paint along the edges. Then and only then should you apply new decals.

Otherwise leave it as is.

A cabinet done right will add value, despite what others may say.

It depends who's buying and as we've seen recently blingged up pins often struggle to sell at the value you perceive to have made it by all the renovations.

In comparison, original unmodded examples will sell instantly.

But it's OK to have differing opinions and both be perfectly valid

Machines that have been fully refurbished to a high standard are very desirable. I sold one recently and I didn't even get as far as putting up a for sale post as people had been sending messages many month's beforehand expressing their interest and it sold to straight away to the first person that had messaged.

I’ve had quite a few badly re decaled pins over the years and TBH I would have been happier with the original silkscreened cab regardless of fade.
If you are intending to fully refurb a pin to the highest of standards I’d advise getting someone else to do that job for you if you’ve never attempted it before or maybe get Rad Decals

I think it’s more if they have huge contrast like Taxi and the likes according to there bumph.
But yep preparing the cab when spending so much should just be a matter of course and not for the feint hearted as its a craft in itself.

Radcals will show the original art through. Paint black at least.
radcals are think plastic. You wont see thru them!
With radcals you must get the corners of the cabinet perfect first

But for goodness sake. Dont stick decals on top of old ones unless you want to throw money down the drain!

radcals are think plastic. You wont see thru them!
With radcals you must get the corners of the cabinet perfect first

But for goodness sake. Dont stick decals on top of old ones unless you want to throw money down the drain!
You most definitely see through them, have them on my TZ and on an IJ, both needed black paint to give them an even appearance. They are trivial to apply otherwise though. Much, much better than foil ones. They will cover minor imperfections.

Back
Top Bottom