What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Net Neutrality popup

kevlar

Site Supporter
Alias
Kevin Donovan
Today I've started getting this net neutrality popup on my laptop, phone and ipad. Not sure I've had it from this site but I've definitely had it from pinside. I think I'm right in saying we have a few network/internet wizards on this site, anyone care to explain what its all about? I'm assuming the popup itself isn't anything to worry about?

IMG_0977.png

Last edited:
At the moment, all internet traffic is treated equally* . That is to say, your ISP gives no preference to internet traffic you request from Netflix, or Amazon, or any other site. US lawmakers would like to change this, and allow ISPs to charge service providers (such as Amazon, Netflix etc) so that they can preferentially give (eg) Netflix traffic a speed boost, at the detriment to other network traffic.

If the law passes it means that (for example) Netflix will pay TalkTalk £x a month to ensure that Netflix customers get fantastic service... at the detriment to other services.. unless those other services also pay some £.

The end result is a horrible price war between service providers, for which the cost will ultimately be passed down to consumers.

Just had the same on pinside. No other sites yet. Very worrying indeed but not as much as the thread "Just killed Popeye" gulp!

Thanks Wizcat, so I assume its safe to fill in and return the popup? at first I thought it was malware.

This is one reason why there are demonstrations outside G20 conferences. Corporate organisations squeezing each other and everyone else for more cash.
We are all being ****ed over.
End of rant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's what happens when you vote for nutcases like Trump and Corbyn!

Back
Top Bottom