What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete NERG: Circus and Aerobatics minor issues sorted - read on to see how

Biff

Site Supporter
Alias
****a
So. Aerobatics ball some times would stick behind the spinner on the right exit. Thought it was the new rubbers atfirst. Nope. there is a little cam shaped plastic end cap that slots into the spinner spindle, so that when the spinner spins it flicks the leaf contact incrementing the score. It can go on either pointing up, or pointing down. When the ball was getting stuck it was moving the spinner to try and pass underneath it (at slow speed) which moved the spindle and cam clockwise. With the cam pointing at the top, it moved into the contact almost straight away and was at maximum opposing force of the contact when the ball was not quite half way through. This meant there was just enough strength in that poxy bloody leaf contact to stop the ball half in and half out. So i moved the plastic cam so it was 180 degrees out, pointing down with the spinner in a neutral position, so when the ball came through the cam would make contact with the switch after most of the ball passed underneath the spinner - clever tw@t. Not really, school boy error i should have done that to begin with when i t took it apart to re rubber it... I also had to adjust the contact so it provided minimum resistance.

The second issue was Circus freezing up with a bunch of score reals stuck on. This turned out to be the gear box had jammed, of the union between the motor and the gear box not sure realy as i freed it off before removing the cover. I striped this down as below, and found a thin shim had bust in half, a spacer for the spring loaded centrifugal clutch probably, and assumption is that when it fell apart bits of it jammed in the cogs or between the lamination of the rotor and the stator - not a lot of clearance.

So i took it apart as far as i could, de-soldered and removed it from the switch stack, washed it in isopropyl alcohol, took a quick swig, went blind for 10 minutes, then brushed out all the gunk. Let it dry, important that or will get a Fireball out of the deal... Once cleaned up, free from crap added a bit of lube to the metal on metal bits, then re-soldered the wires, bit of heat shrink and refitted. Hopefully that will be the end of that - just not sure where the worn out shim came from, nor how important it was...

Any way, Both are now ready to go to Pinfest...

1689109648566.png

1689109675427.png

1689109599716.png

1689109711201.png

Is that what Circus was doing last year at Pinfest, dont know if anyone mentioned it but was in the Classic comp wasnt it and had to be turned off a few times and left to cool down, hopefully thinking of the right machine.

Is that what Circus was doing last year at Pinfest, dont know if anyone mentioned it but was in the Classic comp wasnt it and had to be turned off a few times and left to cool down, hopefully thinking of the right machine.
No, i think they said it was jumping players, I couldn’t get it to do it when I looked at it. And it has never done it since. Depending on Ball number, someone could have pressed the start button again which would move it onto the p2. possible, but just don’t know as wasn’t enough information evidence looked fine when I checked it out. Circus has been in loads of events in the past, as well as meets round mine, it never missed a beat before. Doesn’t mean it didn’t then though 😁. What happened at NERG is a bit like a crash on your PC but no reset…
Ctrl alt kick wouldn’t work neither

No, i think they said it was jumping players, I couldn’t get it to do it when I looked at it. And it has never done it since. Depending on Ball number, someone could have pressed the start button again which would move it onto the p2. possible, but just don’t know as wasn’t enough information evidence looked fine when I checked it out. Circus has been in loads of events in the past, as well as meets round mine, it never missed a beat before. Doesn’t mean it didn’t then though 😁. What happened at NERG is a bit like a crash on your PC but no reset…
Ctrl alt kick wouldn’t work neither

It wasnt jumping players when I saw it, it was making an awful sound like something was stuck so it was turned off and left for a bit to cool down and then worked ok again for a while, assuming that was the one that was in the classics comp. Pretty sure I remember setting it up with David Dutton in the room.

That's not waht i was told. Could well have been the same thing, yes.

Back
Top Bottom