What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need some electrical help please

IS the machine working on normal bulbs or has it been modified to work with LEDs?

The lamps you are trying to connect your mod lights to are matrixed lights, i.e. they re controlled on a row/column matrix and the circuits will be using logic chips and transistors to control when each light turns on or off. Might not work with LED's unless modified to do so?

do one mod light at a time. red wire onto yellow wire and black wire onto red wire. i can tell from your pic how those black wires are wired up but it should be one each to each lamp holder and nothing connecting them together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do one mod light at a time. red wire onto yellow wire and black wire onto red wire. i can tell from your pic how those black wires are wired up but it should be one each to each lamp holder and nothing connecting them together

sorry typo i Can’t tell

That isn't how the original yellow wires are connected tho it goes 1 yellow on one tab with the other end on the other tab that has 1 yellow going to it then that single yellow goes to the single pin. Which is why I've done the black wire the same apart from I've added a extra black to act as the yellow that bridges both so I didn't have to remove the crimp

I don't think swapping the red with the yellow would work because the leds have a + & - so will only work one way and as there are 2 red wires and pins and only 1 yellow in a pin that to me suggests the red is the + obviously I could be totally wrong

i’d remove all the changes you have made and start again prove that the original lights work as expected. then take one of your mod lights and separate it from the other one completely then wire the red mod wire onto the yellow lamp wire and the black mod wire onto the red lamp socket wire test it. if it works. do the other mod light to the other lamp socket

Not convinced yellow is positive because if I attach the + from the battery to the yellow and the - to the red they don't work + to red and they do

Ha looks like we have sorted it weird how the battery would light them both ways around. I'm gonna fit an extra long wire to them so I can test it in game before committing to resculpting the torch handles. Cheers for your help

Right guys i was hoping some of the tech gurus may be able to help me on this. Had ago on my machine tonight and noticed my torch mod seems to be effecting other lights and ghosting some others.

Seems to be activating groups of lights at the same time to even in the test menu. Only does it when the torches are connected. The mod is connected exactly the same as the old lock lights via the original connector. Would the resistor connected to each torch (to protect the leds) cause this? I don't really want to try flogging any until I can sort whatever it is.

@myPinballs @lukewells @pinballmania any ideas guys or anyone?

Sounds like you've missed some diodes if you are connecting to an original connector. Remember the lamps are a matrix not individual. Can you confirm what lamp positions you are wanting to connect to, trigger from? Did you remove some original lamps when connecting your new 'mod'?

Sounds like you've missed some diodes if you are connecting to an original connector. Remember the lamps are a matrix not individual. Can you confirm what lamp positions you are wanting to connect to, trigger from? Did you remove some original lamps when connecting your new 'mod'?

Hi @myPinballs , all I have removed is the 2 coffin lock lights and plugged the torches into the same connector. I didn't think a diode was needed if using a led? There are 3 leds in each torch

Hi @myPinballs , all I have removed is the 2 coffin lock lights and plugged the torches into the same connector. I didn't think a diode was needed if using a led? There are 3 leds in each torch

As you may be aware, I’ve done something similar. I have my ‘lock lights’ inside the coffin mod. They shine up from inside through the mod each side of drac’s head. Creates a nice red glow around his head.
Anyway, I removed the tombstone assembly but kept the wiring assembly intact. As far as I remember, there was a diode thingy (very technical) in the wiring loom, which I left there.
Have you checked that you have one in the circuit ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes that's because of the use of incandescent bulbs there is one on every lamp holder

You cannot remove lamp holders that contain diodes, or separate looms that contain diodes unless you recreate the diode locations to the row and column wires. The diode is for the matrix itself not the type of lamp

Your issues mentioned are a direct result of removing diodes/missing diodes/failed diodes

I would just make sure you still have the appropriate 1N4001 (i use 1N4007 these days) diodes in place for the matrix regardless of whether you use an led lamp or led etc.

You cannot remove lamp holders that contain diodes, or separate looms that contain diodes unless you recreate the diode locations to the row and column wires. The diode is for the matrix itself not the type of lamp

Your issues mentioned are a direct result of removing diodes/missing diodes/failed diodes

I would just make sure you still have the appropriate 1N4001 (i use 1N4007 these days) diodes in place for the matrix regardless of whether you use an led lamp or led etc.

Cheers I will try that

Back
Top Bottom