What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need some electrical help please

RudeDogg1

Registered
As some of you will know I have been messing around with some torch mods for a while for BSD. I had trouble with them working in attract but not when they were meant to and also interfering with other lights. The original maker added a resistor to stop the leds from frying. It was sugested I add a diode to it like on the original coffin lock lights. I did but now it wont light atall. I didnt have an exact match for the diode the original ones are IN4004 237 the closest i have are IN4004 423 dunno if that would be why it doesnt work? Also the diode is before the resistor would thjat cause it? I want to try and get them working before i go to the effort of modifying and resculpting the torches.

Anyone able to help? @myPinballs @lukewells

It doesn’t matter where the diode is in circuit. The diode part number is fine. Try reversing the diode. I cant picture what you’re implementing them, but if they worked to a degree before the diode was installed then the diode must be blocking. No damage will be caused by reversing the diode incorrectly so worth a try.

It doesn’t matter where the diode is in circuit. The diode part number is fine. Try reversing the diode. I cant picture what you’re implementing them, but if they worked to a degree before the diode was installed then the diode must be blocking. No damage will be caused by reversing the diode incorrectly so worth a try.

Thanks Andy I will have another look tomoz I've posted a couple pics so it makes abit more sense

So here are the flames which I have tried to wire the same way as the original coffin lock lights. Obviously the wiring will be tidied up this is just while I try to get them working

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20180225_3a434ef24e63d3cf3db0e85ed4887d8c.jpg

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20180225_3d8c04d4519aec007e9445789bcd8c55.jpg

Best way is to say think of the band in direction of travel - across the lights it's pointing to the red wire. Then on the mod you have red wire with band pointing back the way, rather than towards the light.

Are the mod lights leds? Then you don’t need a diode, as an led is a diode. If you install an extra diode it needs to be in the same polarity as the mod led.

have you tested the light mods with a battery to see if they actually light up?

I did and it worked before the diode was added which I assumed was normal because the original lock lights didn't work with a battery unless you connected it to the lamp holder tabs

remove the diode, then connect the red wire of your mod to one of the 2 points ive marked on the pic, and the black wire to the other point. i.e. one of your mods wires goes to the lug on the lamp holder with the two yellow wires; and, the other of your mods wires goes to the lug that has the diode connected to it (but doesn't have the red wire as well). Hope that makes sense. It should actually work even if you connected it to the lug with the diode and the red wire. I'd guess your red mod wire should go to the yellow wire and your black mod wire should go to the diode lug, but I may have got that the wrong way around. So try it one way, if it doesn't work, try it the other way. One of them will work.

diode.jpg

So abit of an update and more head scratching.

I reversed the diode and tested with a battery and it works. Then I plugged it into the connector for the old lock lights and it works in attract but not when you select the coffin lock lights in the test menu.

So then I attached it to the old lamp holders like Alan sugested and had the same results apart from the original lock lights lit in the menu but the new ones didn't.

So once again I'm stuck. Is the voltage from the attract mode different to when they light in game? Just wandered if the resistor the maker fitted so the machine don't burn the leds out was blocking the in game voltage? I don't have a clue about this stuff so I'm just guessing ha

and if you remove the old bulbs from the old lock light holders?

Made no difference, had a feeling it wouldn't as it's the same configuration I had when connecting it to the connector on its own. Worth a try tho I don't understand how 1 light mod can be such a pain in the ass [emoji24]

Back
Top Bottom