What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My last action hero

johnrw

Registered
Hi all,

This is my second owned pin I bought it off @chris b in January not many pictures as I get carried away and forget to take many!
Used to play LAH many years ago when it first came out and I still like it. This one is a keeper for me.
Not so much of a project machine as it was working apart from a problem with the ball trough. I initially replaced some of the trough switches as they were intermittent when tested.
This seemed to cure the fault for a while then it started playing up again. It thought one or two balls were missing randomly. It turned out to be a couple of faults one was that there was a groove worn in the start of the trough where the ball lands from the playfield and sometimes the ball would stick in it. Smoothed out the groove with a dremel then finished of with a file.

upload_2018-3-8_12-54-34.jpeg

Second problem was this:

upload_2018-3-8_12-55-33.jpeg

There was a crack in top plate that loaded the ball so welded this up and this cured all the problems.

upload_2018-3-8_12-56-12.jpeg

I then went through the electronics not too much needed here. Replaced tired electrolytic capacitors, fuse holders, a few connectors that had got hot and few other bits and bobs. Burned a new Eprom with latest software and added a super capacitor instead of batteries.

upload_2018-3-8_12-57-5.jpeg

Then I moved onto the playfield re-sleeved all coils and stripped flippers no wear in them, fitted new EOS switches again not much to do.
I replaced a few switches springs etc here and there.
Now stripped playfield. Its in good condition only wear is around the out holes the rest of it is really nice looks brilliant after a T-cut and polish.

upload_2018-3-8_12-58-23.jpeg

I painted Crane and yellow wire guide with RAL1016 Enamel paint which is very close to the original colour.

Next the drop targets these have obviously had some hammer over the years and been repaired several times.

upload_2018-3-8_13-0-41.jpeg

I have a 3D printer so I printed some new ones and so far they work really well. Also printed and laminated some new decals for them.

upload_2018-3-8_13-1-25.jpeg

upload_2018-3-8_13-1-47.jpeg

Next I filled the worn bits in out holes with epoxy wood filler.
upload_2018-3-8_13-9-17.jpeg

Re-assembled, fitted new rubbers and set everything up including Crane which was much easier than I expected.

upload_2018-3-8_13-12-54.jpeg

Fitted the eyeball targets that Chris kindly supplied with the machine, fitted new slingshot plastics and added a couple of spot lamps on the slingshots to light up the centre of the playfield.

upload_2018-3-8_13-13-47.jpeg

I replaced speakers in top with better quality ones they have tweeters in the centre so 3D printed some spacers to accommodate them and fitted a new Subwoofer in cabinet.

upload_2018-3-8_13-16-4.jpeg

upload_2018-3-8_13-15-1.jpeg

upload_2018-3-8_13-16-49.jpeg

upload_2018-3-8_13-17-22.jpeg

Also added a bit of sound proofing in cabinet. It does not make a massive difference but does quieten it down a bit.

upload_2018-3-8_13-26-38.jpeg

A few cosmetic bits on the outside but not much to do Chris had the legs powder coated and the cabinet is in good condition only bit I really want to clean up is the police lights topper.

Its all back together and plays really well. I enjoy playing this a lot and so does my wife.

Playboy got to go now so I can get a new project!!

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-8_13-14-38.jpeg
    upload_2018-3-8_13-14-38.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 18
Great write up and the machine has come up fantastic. Can't say I've played LAH but you can't fall off when the better half enjoys the same games.
Me and Jan have one thing in common. Twd kicks both our @rses.

Nice work, that looks lovely! Love the use of 3d-printing. LAH is on my list, hope to get one as nice as this one day.

Cheers,

Johnny

Back
Top Bottom