What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first pinball project

johnrw

Registered
Hi everyone,

Thought it was about time for an update!

Picked up my first pin on 16th December. Bought it as a project pin from Steve as electriccircusarcade

It’s a Playboy 35th Anniversary not my ideal choice but I was desperate to get hold of a project pin before the Christmas holidays so I would have some time to work on it.

I wanted a pin for 2 main reasons firstly to see if I still liked pinball been over 20 years since I played regularly and secondly to see if I liked working on them. I am an electronics engineer by trade but also do a lot of mechanical work.

Anyway the answer is yes to them both!

upload_2018-1-11_13-47-54.pngupload_2018-1-11_13-48-12.pngupload_2018-1-11_13-48-28.pngupload_2018-1-11_13-48-43.pngupload_2018-1-11_13-48-58.pngupload_2018-1-11_13-49-38.png

The machine was complete but not functioning and missing its display.

Here is a brief description of what I have done to date:

The machine had been stored somewhere damp at some point in its life it was very mouldy and all kickers and sling shots where seized solid.

upload_2018-1-11_13-50-23.pngupload_2018-1-11_13-50-37.pngupload_2018-1-11_13-50-51.pngupload_2018-1-11_13-51-6.png

Removed playfield and cleaned cabinet and top cabinet inside and out. Renewed and reworked earths and mains wiring.
upload_2018-1-11_13-51-32.png

Stripped down kickers slingshots pop bumpers and cleaned lubricated and reassembled them

Cleaned all contacts on switches, replaced most of micro-switches. Replaced bulbs.

Replaced burnt coil and measured then tested all other coils.

Checked all wiring and cleaned and tested all connectors.

Now I stripped most of the playfield and went about it cleaning it up. This is where it went wrong for me. The mylar on the bottom of the playing field had bubbled and lifted around the inserts so I decided to remove. Did some research and tried all different method, freezer spray, heat, solvents but it still lifted a lot of the artwork from the inserts.

Live and learn I guess in hindsight I may well have left the mylar in place if I had known but then again it was really raised in places. Any way fitted some decals and touched it up best I can.

upload_2018-1-11_13-52-8.pngupload_2018-1-11_13-52-20.pngupload_2018-1-11_13-52-33.png

Now I moved onto the top cabinet.

Replaced capacitors in PSU and sound board and fitted new Rottendog main MPU.

Original MPU was dead not even a clock signal from CPU so I removed it to tackle at a later date.

Fitted new X-Pin LED display.

A lot of the bulbs in the backlight did not work due to rotten wiring and corroded bulb holders. Replaced bulb holders and tidied wiring up.

upload_2018-1-11_13-52-59.pngupload_2018-1-11_13-53-10.pngupload_2018-1-11_13-53-24.pngupload_2018-1-11_13-53-39.pngupload_2018-1-11_13-53-54.png

After putting it all together most things worked apart from it always thought that one ball was missing even when they were all in place. This was an interesting fault as all the switches checked OK with a meter but the signal did not make it back to the MPU. After much checking it turned out to be a broken wire deep inside the main wiring loom. Interesting this as there were many marks all over the ball switch wiring where it had been back probed before. Renewed wire and tidied wiring.

Stripped and painted speaker section satin black.

Then it was just a matter of adjusting the switches and coils to get it to play nice.

upload_2018-1-11_13-54-25.pngupload_2018-1-11_13-54-37.pngupload_2018-1-11_13-54-51.png

Now that main control board.

There was some obvious battery damage on it which was my starting point replaced the main CPU socket and Eprom and Ram sockets. I now have clock signal but no blanking and on further investigation the data lines are being pulled. Lots more messing around and in the end it turned out to be 3 of the PIA’s that were dead. Bit unusual I think for 3 to be gone I this board must have a some kind of problem fed back from its original display. There were a few more parts drive transistors and a couple of logic IC’s but I know have another fully working MPU.

upload_2018-1-11_13-55-19.pngupload_2018-1-11_13-55-30.pngupload_2018-1-11_13-55-42.png

It plays really well now and to be honest that is as far as I want to go with it.

I am now looking to trade it in maybe with cash against another project machine something that will be a keeper now if possible.

Looking for something with a DMD and some toys.

Would really like a LAH but not sure how often they come up.

High resolution version of photo’s here.

https://postimg.org/gallery/25b4cv9rq/

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-11_13-7-2.png
    upload_2018-1-11_13-7-2.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 12
You've done well there!
I always feel it's a odd theme? Only would appeal to s few?
I can't see me trying to explain it to the wife.

You've done well there!
I always feel it's a odd theme? Only would appeal to s few?
I can't see me trying to explain it to the wife.
I completely agree very odd theme. Probably worst one I could have got lol Exactly wife likes pinball but not this !! Mainly becuase of all the ooooooooohhhhhhhhh aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhs and hhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm SHHHHHHOOOOOOT AGGGGAAAAIIIIIN!! type comments its comes out with lol

I completely agree very odd theme. Probably worst one I could have got lol Exactly wife likes pinball but not this !! Mainly becuase of all the ooooooooohhhhhhhhh aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhs and hhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm SHHHHHHOOOOOOT AGGGGAAAAIIIIIN!! type comments its comes out with lol

Try playing the pinball with her then?

When you bought your Playboy, for a couple hundred more you could have had the "Simpsons" :clap:instead
I planed on buying both as they share boards and parts ( I think ??)
same story, very damp, rust, mold, seized parts, burnt out CPU board, lifting mylar, broken plastics, etc
but then again it wasn't described as any different.
I wish i was as quick as you getting things done, I haven't even started on it yet, apart from squirting wood glue around every join, inside and out to make sure the cabinet stays together, mainly because theres a whole big lot to do, however I'm still incredibly happy to have it, always wanted a "DE Simpsons" , in 1990 it was considered the best machine ever, the year after TAF stole the title.
This will be a keeper for certain, so going to have to put some effort in and get it back to as tidy and working as possible. I prefer the original DE Simpsons to the new Stern Simpsons. Then again I don't like any Sterns or most DMD games either.

Last edited:
When you bought your Playboy, for a couple hundred more you could have had the "Simpsons" :clap:instead
I planed on buying both as they share boards and parts ( I think ??)
same story, very damp, rust, mold, seized parts, burnt out CPU board, lifting mylar, broken plastics, etc
but then again it wasn't described as any different.
I wish i was as quick as you getting things done, I haven't even started on it yet, apart from squirting wood glue around every join, inside and out to make sure the cabinet stays together, mainly because theres a whole big lot to do, however I'm still incredibly happy to have it, always wanted a "DE Simpsons" , in 1990 it was considered the best machine ever, the year after TAF stole the title.
This will be a keeper for certain, so going to have to put some effort in and get it back to as tidy and working as possible. I prefer the original DE Simpsons to the new Stern Simpsons. Then again I don't like any Sterns or most DMD games either.

I still have some bits and pieces left over from a scrapped de simpsons so give me a shout if you need any bits, I might just have them..

Back
Top Bottom