What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My eyes ! My eyes ! LED horror shows

Sgt GrizZ

Registered
Ex PinballInfo Admin . MIA Brighton Hove beach
Alias
Ive
Just posted For Sale on the Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1434815296767544/

'full LED upgrade' :eek:

Apologies if it's someone on here ... but f*ck me that lighting is truly horrific :eek: Was the guy who did it blind ?Maybe it was for use in a circus ? People should require a licence before being let loose with LEDs.

24774930_10155271624963940_7434377216451733119_n.jpg 24852360_10155271625073940_640325733959090067_n.jpg

Unless it's part of the game, then coloured GI sucks (e.g. Black Rose, Space Station at certain times.) Coloured lamps behind translites are even worse.

All that "upgrade" and you wouldn't even be able to see the ball.

I think colour GI can look nice if done subtly to tie in with the playfield around it, but that is just an assault on the eyes

Unless it's part of the game, then coloured GI sucks (e.g. Black Rose, Space Station at certain times.) Coloured lamps behind translites are even worse.

All that "upgrade" and you wouldn't even be able to see the ball.
Coloured GI is a test of artistic taste for sure. I've seen it work wonders when applied well but it causes just as much pain as it doesn't. One example is TNT Amusements - sometimes creates eyesores but every now and again they nail it.

Example: their use of purple on the Whodunnit is great but that green should have been left at home.

Last edited:
I like leds if done well but not a fan of over using coloured leds in the back box. The odd one or 2 behind key parts of translight is fine. Like I have flickering flame Ines behind the tourches in bsd translight

The big problem for me with coloured LEDs in GI and behind translites are that it bleeds to all the surrounding areas and doesn't just highlight the areas you want. I thought I'd give it a go on my T2 to make the eyes more red but it didn't even work well there. Nice bright white LEDs in an appropriate shade for the game all the way for me. 90% of the time that means Comet Opmax or Twin 2835 Sunlights but futuristic games with darker coloured playfields like T2 look great with the harsher natural white. I like to see the ball and the details in the original artwork. That Indy 500 above is the pinball lighting equivalent of taking a piece of fine art and then scribbling all over it with wax crayons.

The big problem for me with coloured LEDs in GI and behind translites are that it bleeds to all the surrounding areas and doesn't just highlight the areas you want. I thought I'd give it a go on my T2 to make the eyes more red but it didn't even work well there. Nice bright white LEDs in an appropriate shade for the game all the way for me. 90% of the time that means Comet Opmax or Twin 2835 Sunlights but futuristic games with darker coloured playfields like T2 look great with the harsher natural white. I like to see the ball and the details in the original artwork. That Indy 500 above is the pinball lighting equivalent of taking a piece of fine art and then scribbling all over it with wax crayons.
I just put some flexible super brights in so the eyes lit up. Looked great

I posted that on Pinside yesterday in case I caused offence over here, what an eyesore, its hard to even see what machine it is. I love the way the seller describes it as an "LED upgrade" :rofl:

Mate ... we gave up worrying about causing offence the day you drove a dumper truck over a machine :rofl: .....

That looks great. I'm having trouble seeing my Walking Dead with it's standard ultra bright white LED's. Thinking about installing the actual sun.

We've come along way since the "blinding" lamps on Flash

The dome lights on F14 are still the best in pinball

Back
Top Bottom