What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Congo Adventure: Phase 2

BogusJourney

Registered
I'll just start by once again thanking everybody here for their kindness, input, advice and support. Means the world!

I’m going to follow this one to see how it goes.
Phase 2 is dependant on Martin and the speed of his pickup and delivery times, I shall wait patiently.

It took 3 months for my Congo to arrive... but it arrived very safely. Good things come to those that wait, and you have waited 5yrs already....

LOTR only took 48hrs from request to delivery, so it really depends on Martin’s route and the availability of the seller/buyer for collection/drop-off.

Same here, Martin delivered a Pin to me a week after I bought it, and 1 or 2 days after he collected it from the seller, so it can vary. The main thing is it will arrive safe and sound.

Yes, John, I LOVE the film -- 95% in earnest, 5% ironically. Jerry Goldsmith's soaring score elevates a big pile of dumb into something sublime: A megomanical talking ape love triangle; same talking ape skydiving out of a plane while doped (and Goldsmith turns this into a moment of absurd majesty), the one time Laura Linney got to be a no-nonsense action hero and the only actor in the ensemble treating the material with deadly seriousness, all while hacking off killer gorilla limbs with lasers; a major secondary character who is only refered to by his name which is exclaimed/shouted/screamed depending on the degree of urgency in the situation; Bruce Campbell and John Hawkes cameos, both competing to see who can react more terrified of Stan Winston's terrifically mangy men in ape suits; Joe Don Baker screaming his head off; Ernie Hudson saying lines like "I am your great white hunter on this trip -- though I happen to be black" with sauve cool; every line out of Tim Curry's mouth as the greatest named character of any film, Herkermer Homolka, a Romanian philantrophist with many accents, none of them anywhere near Romania; iconic scenes like this one:

I could go on and on.

Last edited:
Currently reading the novel for what must be the third time. Somehow I've never bothered with the film. Love me some Crichton though.

So, everybody, it arrived! Martin was super helpful and set-up was mostly a breeze. After about twenty+ games I love it; the theme, the music, the layout, trick shots and tasks, though I have a TON of questions about gameplay, so anybody who owns this pin, do let yourself be known here.

Also, I see pics of other Congo machines online and none of them have added the two apes (a small and larger one) on the playing field. On mine the small one is already added and the ball is currently stuck behind it. Need to remove the glass to get it out but will need help to do so. Anyone with any pics of where they have positioned the apes, please post them here or advise.

Really weird walking into the back room and seeing that I actually own this now. I honestly thought it'd never happen and I'm in that phase where it feels really pleasurably surreal.

Thanks Bigbear, Martin and all of you here for the cheerleading in getting this. It already feels completely worth it.

I'm one of those people without a smartphone (we're out there), but pics to follow soon.

I own one, but not an expert. You should also check the Pinside Congo owners thread as someone did a useful diagram showing the modes.
No apes on mines - they will have been a previous owner’s artistic choice. If it’s a ball trap, my view would be to take it off!

Welcome to the club and congratulations! [emoji482]

Check out photos on IPDB for photos of what are generally stock machines.

Also if you don’t yet have a manual, it’s worth buying/downloading one just to read all gameplay modes and settings, and work out whether parts are genuine or additional etc. It’ll also come in handy for fault finding even if you’re not doing the work yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Paul. Seems the monkeys are MIA. Great site and good to see my machine in the top 40! Two spaces above The Big Lebowski -- has that only been released in the states? Been tracking that for the last couple of years and desperate to give it a go.

Got a manual, Ed but after a brief flip through, it's making my head hurt! (currently trying to get it on to free play -- at present I have to keep adding 30 credits then playing till it runs out). Hopefully, I'll get the hang of it soon.

Thanks, Paul. Seems the monkeys are MIA. Great site and good to see my machine in the top 40! Two spaces above The Big Lebowski -- has that only been released in the states? Been tracking that for the last couple of years and desperate to give it a go.

Got a manual, Ed but after a brief flip through, it's making my head hurt! (currently trying to get it on to free play -- at present I have to keep adding 30 credits then playing till it runs out). Hopefully, I'll get the hang of it soon.

Yeah it’s like trying to eat an elephant. Bite size chunks and you’ll get there. I’ve almost completely refurbished mine and still have many many pages I’m yet to read.

Hello, Bogus,

If this'll help, I'll list how to set Free Play;
  1. Open the door and briefly press the 'Enter' button (wait for any 'Test Report' to finish)
  2. Press Enter again to reach "Main Menu"
  3. Use + or - to select "Adjustment Menu" on the display, and press Enter to access this
  4. Use +/- to select "Pricing Adjustments" and press Enter
  5. Use +/- to scroll through to the adjustment "Free Play", which will have No showing
  6. Press Enter to allow a change ("No" will change from steady to flashing)
  7. Use +/- to select "Yes" and press Enter
  8. After adjustment, reverse out again using Escape

Brilliant, Jay, you star. Found it in the book just as I read your post, but you've put it more simply and now I know where to go if ever I need to find it again.

What I can\t find, is how to wipe the high scores on points and diamonds. Got 4 and a half million last night, my highest yet, and wish this was on the scoreboard to give me a target to beat.

Found loads of new shots last night, but had to concentrate on the playfield and missed a lot of the video telling me what I'd actually done.

Seems to me there might be two or more volcano shots as you don't always get 'ball locked' when you shoot it in. This is the shot I'm trying to perfect to unlock multiball as soon as possible. Any tips? I've discovered that in multiball, when you drop all balls but one (when you can better concentrate) you're getting 2x points (this might've been something to do with an earlier shot that gave me 'double points from Amy' or some such, but as I've only pulled it off once I can't be sure. Also seems I was getting jackpot every time I hit a ramp, though this might also be something I unlocked during multiball, but I can't be sure.

So far, so much fun!

I own one, but not an expert. You should also check the Pinside Congo owners thread as someone did a useful diagram showing the modes.

Can't find it Paul, got a link? I did find a 90-minute video, which I'm looking to dive into this week. Fantastic resource.

Pics are coming soon jsyjay, soon as a mate with a smart phone pops over.

I remember the feeling of having my first pin at home, good for you mate. A good exercise is to change the batteries say once a year, if you do this with the machine turned off it will help solve the high score issue as it will reset the game to factory settings, you can then set things like number of balls per game and freeplay and any other personal changes within the adjustments sections.

Thank you J. C. Not sure I want to reset to factory settings just yet, simply because of all the changes already made, but is this the ONLY way to re-set the scoreboard?

Thanks for the yearly advice on the batteries. Invaluable.

Just had my best game of 588 788 380 and 47 diamonds, though it could have been even better as I blew it in a couple of spots.

Back
Top Bottom