What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mr Pinball Australia

ski

Registered
Hi all, has anyone used Mr Pinball for cabinet dacals in the past ? And if so, are they good prints ? Thanks in advance for any advice.

You can always check on aussiearcade or aussiepinball websites to see if other people have used them.
Regards
Clive

Reactions: ski
My scared stiff decals from oz look superb, not fitted yet though

I got a set of RFM decals from them. Wasn't impressed at all, thought the print and finish were poor quality, and the adhesive wasn't particularly good either. This is one of the reasons why I've started producing my own decals.

Cheeky plug coming..... You can use 10pinballinfo for a 10% discount at the checkout: http://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop-cat/pinball-cabinet-decals/

I got a set of RFM decals from them. Wasn't impressed at all, thought the print and finish were poor quality, and the adhesive wasn't particularly good either. This is one of the reasons why I've started producing my own decals.

Cheeky plug coming..... You can use 10pinballinfo for a 10% discount at the checkout: http://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop-cat/pinball-cabinet-decals/
Arrgh ! Now I want to do my Party Zone too o_O

Pete would you be able to bring a set of decals to nlp so i can have a look at them and a chat i do a fair few cabs it would be great to find a local with great quality decals other than have to buy from planetary or mr pinball
and i would never even think about the ones from east europe they are not worth a ****

Pete would you be able to bring a set of decals to nlp so i can have a look at them and a chat i do a fair few cabs it would be great to find a local with great quality decals other than have to buy from planetary or mr pinball
and i would never even think about the ones from east europe they are not worth a ****
+1

Pete would you be able to bring a set of decals to nlp so i can have a look at them

I'll see about getting there, but for now here's a few photos of a recent print:

c7.staticflickr.com_9_8504_29428523350_7679263dc8_b.jpg

c3.staticflickr.com_9_8416_29428528930_6bd6e34ae3_b.jpg

c5.staticflickr.com_9_8277_29428496300_44db1c07f1_b.jpg

As you can see these are not printed directly from scans. No crappy photoshop jobs. All of the artwork is completely redrawn from scratch, in vector format, to get the highest resolution print possible.

For the print material, we've dropped 3M and gone with a more industrial strength film - Orajet by Orafol: http://www.orafol.com/gp/europe/en/...lvent-based-product-details/items/orajet-3164

Set it with a hot air gun and those decals should never peel!

Set it with a hot air gun and those decals should never peel!

Interesting choice. I have some orajet and perviously some 3m - the orajet has been kept flat and has wrinkles in the backing paper - previously the 3m was perfect ( i have none left at the moment)....

Interested if you could explain how to "set with a hot air gun" please - might help get rid of any wrinkles that come from the backing to the print itself... :)

Interesting choice. I have some orajet and perviously some 3m - the orajet has been kept flat and has wrinkles in the backing paper - previously the 3m was perfect ( i have none left at the moment)....

Interested if you could explain how to "set with a hot air gun" please - might help get rid of any wrinkles that come from the backing to the print itself... :)

The Orajet stuff is actually really hard to crease, this is what I like about it. If you get creases then it's just the backing paper. When you peel that off to apply the decals, the creases should be gone.

You don't have to set them with a hot air gun, but it makes them more permanent. This is how they apply Orajet on trucks and planes. I would use a rubber roller and gently heat the decals, obviously don't burn them.

I never heard a bad report about Mr Pinball decals during my 5 years or so working in the Melbourne pinball scene. His customer service isn't exactly great, but the decals are top notch, as close to original you'll ever get. I wouldn't be surprised if those RFM decals were actually originals from back in the day, hence the glue issues. I know he did have a lot of NOS RFM parts kicking around his warehouse. Did you complain to him? What sort of response did you get?

Literally the only negative thing I ever heard about his repro decals was that one of the pieces of 'sweat' from the fishermans brow was missing on his FT repro artwork, which subsequently got fixed after it was pointed out.

No the RFM decals I had were not original. They came in a matt finish, the originals are gloss. The blacks weren't a clean perfect black (like in my photos for LAH above), they were like little speckles of different colours to make a black - I'll see if i've got any photos of this to show you. The coin door should not be a full size decal either, it should only be a small strip that goes below the door. They were a bit too thick also and I kept getting bubbles even after the decals had been set for weeks.

Had the same issue with PPS decals too. It's all just vastly over priced rubbish in my opinion but people fall for the "NextGen3000++" marketing hype.

Each to their own, but I like quality stuff.

Back
Top Bottom