What's new

Moving a pin down the stairs

Gonzo

Registered
Alias
Kris
Hi folks.

I'm collecting a widebody tomorrow and have been instructed that I have to get it down a flight of stairs.

There are two of us but I'm concerned about the weight.

Now bearing in mind you're replying to a complete idiot who's technical knowledge is limited to removing the glass . . . . .

What's the easiest and quickest way to reduce the weight and are there any instructions for doing so please?

Clearly the playfield must be significant but many bolts and wires make it seem daunting.

Thanks in advance

I’ve moved one up and down stairs before on my own

Same sort of process though, tombstoned and head folded and strapped to body coin door open creating a good handle (hands holding either side of hole)Stand two steps up and tilt pin slightly towards you and haul it up one step, then move up a step yourself and repeat. Sitting here I’m thinking leaving the front legs on and use them as handles might work well??

Obviously bringing down the stairs is much easier but basically the same method. I did contemplate just sliding it down the stairs with me in front stopping it shooting down and out through the door, but chickened out and did it slowly one step at a time in the end

Easier still with two people, one in front one behind. One in front stopping it tipping over (not much use at lifting as cab gets in the way) guy behind/above walking it down the steps one at a time. Communication of what each of you is doing is crucial also as it’s easy to panic and think the other one has given up/fallen etc. Obviously much easier if the stairs are carpeted

Last edited:
I’ve never had to do this, but removing the backbox would probably help with the weight and width. Detach all internals backbox cables and then undo the hinges.

I’ve moved one up and down stairs before on my own

Same sort of process though, tombstoned and head folded and strapped to body coin door open creating a good handle (hands holding either side of hole)Stand two steps up and tilt pin slightly towards you and haul it up one step, then move up a step yourself and repeat. Sitting here I’m thinking leaving the front legs on and use them as handles might work well??

Scares the bejesus out of you the first few steps but becomes fairly easy after. Best stop after every 5 or so steps for a rest

Actually Ian, leaving the front legs on to go down the stairs is a top idea.
Cheers mate because I'd rather not start taking it to bits.

With 2 of you you'll be OK. Step at a time on a sack barrow is fine. 1 holding it back at the top the other pushing back a little at the front. I've only done it once and that was at the stairs at Flip B'ham and it was alright really.

With 2 of you you'll be OK. Step at a time on a sack barrow is fine. 1 holding it back at the top the other pushing back a little at the front. I've only done it once and that was at the stairs at Flip B'ham and it was alright really.

Cheers mate

Yeah just thinking we (Keith and myself) removed about 12 machines from our failed attempt at a pin club last year. Down a flight of stairs on a sack trolley one step at a time. Got them all out in a few hours,

I’d prefer a harder wheel trolley than a soft (pneumatic tyre) type, it can bounce about a bit as you drop a step, let it settle before doing the next step

Best way is to pay some other cūnt to do it.

Failing that either

1 get a stair climbing sack Barrow with an electric mechanism in it

2 backbox off to reduce weight, webbing to act as a sling, lower down on a rope. You stay out of the danger zone by remaining above the machine

Straight flight of stairs is easy with two of you.
Remove the balls or make sure they are all locked in the trough.
Fold the head down and strap it with padding as the strap always becomes a handle at some point.
Take the legs off and carry it down.

If the stairs have a bend in them like mine you may need to take the head off and upright the machine to get round.

Also, doors. Depending on location, I'm speaking from London here, anything that's not an EM machine won't fit through an original 1920 to 1970 32" single door unless you twist the machine 90 degrees along the playfield axis, something always gets caught.

The only way I know to reduce the weight without much work is to remove the head, take the legs off, take out the playfield and as an extra step remove the transformer.

As a side note, trollies are great if you are on your own, but that's precisely why they came about so companies could put one delivery guy in a van instead of two. The stress on the back of using a trolley on stairs is stupid when we all must have a friend or neighbor who could help. Thankfully I have a Viking wife.

Good luck.

Its twisty landings that cause issues. Humping down a straight set of stairs is just about manpower

Taking head off and playfield out is best way if you have the know how

Its twisty landings that cause issues. Humping down a straight set of stairs is just about manpower

Taking head off and playfield out is best way if you have the know how

I'm afraid I don't.

That being said my mate is a cage fighter and always telling me how fit he is so I guess it's time to find put.

Thanks to everyone as always for their sage pearls of wisdom.

Took a STTNG down 3 flights of stairs tombstoned, mate was at bottom of trolley steadying and taking weight as the house had marble stairs and very expensive wallpaper.
Was in Weybridge and the owner and Ebay agent was watching, took our time but still a bit of a nightmare as the trolley was a cheap one and a bit bendy let’s say.
Best advice is get a decent trolley as that will make a big difference with moving it easily.
The reason I built a pin room in the garage as my pins were upstairs before😖

I have 4 flights of stairs to negotiate with almost impossible turns as well. If I can do it absolutely anybody can! My best advice willl be to take the backbox off (I have to otherwise it's impossible to get round the corners on the stairs) but the less weight the better. Label all the connectors, take tonnes of pictures and your spine will thank you for it afterwards.

Strap the machine to your hand truck and its always handy if you can get someone at the bottom just for a bit of a push and to provide a cushion for your precious machine if it does happen to fall!

If I have help I take it a step at a time, count to 3 on each step and on 3 I will pull while my glamorous assistant pushes... This way your both in time with eachother, neither of you strain yourselves and it's not overly that difficult. I take a small break after each flight and usually cry a bit about why I partake in such a rediculous hobby....

If I don't have any help the crying, swearing and complaining increases dramatically.... But its is still possible 😂

I just realised you said you're moving the machine downstairs..... Take the backbox off and you'll be absolutely fine mate, just take your time and make sure you and your helper both have good footing before lowering the machine down each step

Last edited:
That was really bloody hard. In the end I had to take the top off ...... the thought of putting the wires back in place fills me with terror.

Dirty machine, pretty much unused for 12 years but finally I am the proud owner of one of my 3 favourite pinballs.

Attachments

• 15726211435034867148074742129565.jpg
    15726211435034867148074742129565.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 36
That was really bloody hard. In the end I had to take the top off ...... the thought of putting the wires back in place fills me with terror.

Dirty machine, pretty much unused for 12 years but finally I am the proud owner of one of my 3 favourite pinballs.
Enjoy, will need lots of TLC

I do this all the time. It's really not so bad with two of you. Obviously removing the back box lightens the load but is a pain in the **** especially on older games

PinSound in STTNG sounds amazing, which reminds me they now do a shaker motor which should be good in this one.

the thought of putting the wires back in place fills me with terror.
Provided that nothing was burnt, damaged or bodged with 'choc-blocs' or similar, then it shouldn't be too bad. The connector housings are keyed with blank plugs, which match missing pins on the circuit board connector headers. I see you have a manual, that should have an 'Interconnection' chart, listing each pcb connector and what if anything is attached, with wire colours. It may not be totally accurate, though (as a recent query about Black Rose showed). Don't forget the earth braid for the back box, in fact I'd make it one of the first things re-connected.

Also, don't worry if something doesn't work the first time you power-up the machine. I once delivered a Star Trek Next Gen to someone who'd bought it in a charity auction, and it was to go upstairs in their house. Anticipating this, I went along there with the despatch foreman, and we separated the back box to manage the stairs. On completion (as I thought) the flippers didn't work - I'd missed the 12v/ground connector for the opto-coupler boards on the buttons.

Last edited:
Provided that nothing was burnt, damaged or bodged with 'choc-blocs' or similar, then it shouldn't be too bad. The connector housings are keyed with blank plugs, which match missing pins on the circuit board connector headers. I see you have a manual, that should have an 'Interconnection' chart, listing each pcb connector and what if anything is attached, with wire colours. It may not be totally accurate, though (as a recent query about Black Rose showed). Don't forget the earth braid for the back box, in fact I'd make it one of the first things re-connected.

Thanks Jay, that's kind of you mate.

I’ve done this many times and once a NGG on the top floor of a 3 storey townhouse with a kind spiral staircase.
I’ve never once found it easy especially as I’m 10st dripping wet!
But if you can find a monster friend with as he calls himself “retard Strength” his words BTW it helps a lot.
Either way it’s a 2 sets of hands deal due to the nature of the beast and it’s surroundings.
So the only easy way I know of is for you to watch 2 burly mates man handle the fecking thing out and buy em a few beers FTW

Good luck in your endeavour it’s well worth the effort

I’ve done this many times and once a NGG on the top floor of a 3 storey townhouse with a kind spiral staircase.
I’ve never once found it easy especially as I’m 10st dripping wet!
But if you can find a monster friend with as he calls himself “retard Strength” his words BTW it helps a lot.
Either way it’s a 2 sets of hands deal due to the nature of the beast and it’s surroundings.
So the only easy way I know of is for you to watch 2 burly mates man handle the fecking thing out and buy em a few beers FTW

Good luck in your endeavour it’s well worth the effort

Thanks mate, we managed it earlier today.

Back
Top Bottom