What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moto G4 Phone - Thoughts/Recommended?

robotgreg

Site Supporter
Alias
Greg
Hi

So frustrated with my windows phone freezing and not letting me get messages or search the internet (and slow), aside form losing all my phone contacts! that decided to get a new phone. Don't want to spend a huge amount as don't tend to use apps or games, just use it for email, internet and pictures.

So did a bit of research online and within my price range (up to £200) Moto G4 phone looked good. So wondered if anyone's got one and can advise on how they find it. Or any other phone in this price range you would recommend? Ultimately looking for a phone which is reliable and straightforward more than anything else.

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers
Greg

Blackberry Priv. Leftfield I know. but it uses the android operating system so unlike its predecessors has proper apps. Has superb battery life. Huge screen. A proper blackberry keyboard too, or you can use it as a regular touch screen

I have had blackberries and Samsung galaxies for years. This is by far my favourite phone since I got a Motorola star tac in the late 90s

Hi Greg

It always was a business phone. I first got one in about 2004 and it was revolutionary as you could email with it and sync with your office email. It was always designed for emailing using a proper physical keyboard. When the iPhone and Samsung galaxies came out, Blackberry just fell off a cliff. In the end only businesses used it. It was crippled by an in-house operating system that became less and less relevant, so fewer and fewer apps were available. BBM messaging (blackberry in house encrypted) became irrelevant when WhatsApp and similar came out

The Priv was Blackberry's last roll of the dice with an in house designed and manufactured phone. They finally adopted Android as an operating system, so it is fully compatible with all the apps. It syncs with Microsoft office outlook etc. It has gorilla glass.

Blackberries are about as cool as herpes. Noone would dream of buying one now. But this one is a fabulous and overlooked phone. As such, the accessories like cases etc are dirt cheap too

There is nothing like having a proper physical keyboard on a phone when it comes to texting and emailing

My dad @carl lawrence has the moto g4 and mum has the moto g5, for what it is you can't go wrong especially if you don't need a smartphone with flagship top specs for example the oneplus 5 , samsung s8 etc. For the price it commands just take the bullet and go for it you won't go wrong.

To be honest anything is better than a windows phone in my opinion

I agree with DRD, I have a Priv it's been flawless and you can pick one up on eBay for around the £200 in great condition if you bide your time

For a lot of years now I have had a Samsung phone and about 2 years in , they always brake down and than only good for the bin :(
Now with this G4 after 2 years every is still working just like it has come out of the box ,unlike the Samsung ,the only thing I have just had to do is replace the glass at the back of the phone ,which cost about £3 from China ,fitted it myself and it tuck about 10 mins to do :thumbs: .l am a joiner fitting kitchens and 2nd fixer etc etc ,so I am in contact with building dust all day long and so is my phone!!

I agree with DRD, I have a Priv it's been flawless and you can pick one up on eBay for around the £200 in great condition if you bide your time

Just wondering if you moved to Blackberries after you won one at the Irish open years ago?

I never really liked them which is why there was one as a prize :p

The priv is head and shoulders above any previous model of BlackBerry.

It brings together the best of android (apps), the best of BlackBerry (keyboard) plus excellent battery life, screen size and metal phone construction

Just wondering if you moved to Blackberries after you won one at the Irish open years ago?

I only ended up with Windows phones cos I won a.Nokia at UK Cup in 2012 which was my first smart.phone and loved it. Latest model(635) .is the real rubbish one and only got an upgrade after previous one fell in the loo!!

I think so Ian! Have had one for a number of years because I like the physical keyboard

I picked up the Moto G5 in the Amazon Prime Day sale for £135. Current price is £160, and it was previously £180. Great phone for the money. My biggest complaint is that the alert light isn't programmed to flash when you have missed a call or text. Apparently all Moto G phones are like this. You can get an App for it but have to root your phone. I assumed all phones could do this and strange why they don't at least give you the option to enable it.

I'm selling my old Samsung S3 if that is any use. Only 3G though.

When I replaced my Windows 620 about a year ago, I nearly bought one of the new at the time Moto G phones, the reviews were good and I like that they're (almost?) stock Android.

In the end I bought a OnePlus 3 which is also very close to stock Android. I don't regret it, it's ridiculously good all round and bonkers fast, worth every penny. I couldn't do without it now, even the missus has one, I can't get her off it.

Just one thing in Android is to keep it up to date. Be very cautious on public wifi. I'd strongly avoid anything older than one year on Android - as it's got more holes in it than a Heighway business plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom