What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MET vs. Maiden - which is your favourite? (as of Dec 2018)

MET vs. Maiden - which is currently your favourite? (as of Dec 2018)

• MET

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Maiden

Votes: 33 61.1%

• Total voters

Monkeyboypaul

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul G
Love Metallica... Pro & Premium. Not for the music (doesn't offend me, suits the game style): like the toys, gameplay, lights/sounds, arts, rules, dots etc...

Have played Maiden (at Tilt) where i couldn't really hear it and the flippers felt a bit weak - maybe just well played - but i really enjoyed that too. Didn't get chance to look at the screen much!

Begs the question:

Which game do you prefer based on the experience TODAY?

Pro vs. Pro, or Prem vs. Prem?

Poll is just for fun, reasoning in the comments if you want.

Met's code was recently updated. Maiden seems to be very mature, but still WIP.

I'm not a NIB man, mainly because they're expensive, but also like to wait for a game to be 'done'. I may be tempted by Maiden in the new year though!

There is roughly a 5 yr gap between these games.

Last edited:
I’ve owned both pro’s, sold both recently with the hope of buying premiums in the future.

Iron Maiden has awesome rules, that felt complete even before the latest updates.
Having 4 flippers is a huge bonus. Not a huge Maiden fan so the music does grate after a while. The large LCD is no game changer, personally think it would have been just as good with a Stern dmd, (or rather a Color DMD).

Metallica also has great rules, but not as easy to learn as Maiden. The music is better, and I’m not a big Metallica fan either but more so now than before I bought the pin! Metallica has more flow ( mainly because the difficult shot through the pop bumpers kills the flow on Maiden). My Met also had better lightshow however that was modded, kept stock leds in IMDN.

Both games are amongst Stern’s very best, hard to chose which is better, I think Met edges it for me with longer lastability but I could change my mind if I ever get to own premiums.

Always a good question, the extras never add up to the price difference I agree.

But I can't sleep at night knowing I've only owned the economy version. Could you imagine TZ without the clock and gumball machine?

Also forgot to mention the plastics on Iron Maiden look cheap, but I'm obviously in the minority as I'm the only one voting for Met so far :D.

Got and love both, both pros. Both upgraded heavily, look forward to playing when I’ve recovered from my stroke. Looking to add another AC/DC to the mix.

I've only really played on MET at @MartinY s though but it's a cracker.

IMDN is an ultimate pin for me though, so have to say that takes it for me currently.

Love both games.

Found MET a bit grindy on old code, to get to CIU.

Hear it's a lot better now.

Love MET call outs by the band. Love CIU modes.

IM - scoring is more progressive, dynamic. The LCD is pretty decent. Personally not bothered about premium as the additional mechs can be a pita.

So, Maiden for me.

And I'll say it anyway. KISS on the new code is better than both:p Using playfield multipliers, the size of the jackpots can be insanely high. But, I know KISS is like Popeye to some;)

I maybe swayed to part with my Im Le for a drop more than that price. but its the best game on the market so far Munster catching my eye though

I voted maiden, mainly for the 4 flipper layout, very cleverly done. MET has plenty of toys which I like, IMDN actually has none, but the layout, rules and 4 flippers cancels that out for me. @mark9 is right about IMDN plastics, they look very cheap and colourless, almost like repro's . The left ramp shot is tight on IMDN but the the flow around the loop off the upper right flipper is awesome when you get that going for multiple loop jackpots.

IMDN for me. MET I struggle to be interested in and need to force myself to play it. music on both sucks :D

I voted maiden, mainly for the 4 flipper layout, very cleverly done. MET has plenty of toys which I like, IMDN actually has none, but the layout, rules and 4 flippers cancels that out for me. @mark9 is right about IMDN plastics, they look very cheap and colourless, almost like repro's . The left ramp shot is tight on IMDN but the the flow around the loop off the upper right flipper is awesome when you get that going for multiple loop jackpots.

The loop feels like Shadow or Stern Star Trek.

Still can’t get over how the flipper layout is reminiscent of TZ... and for the record I really like TZ.

It feels like I need an Iron Maiden in 2019 sometime. And I’ll keep Metallica too :thumbs:

I don’t mind the music on either, but don’t own an album from either band. My musical interest is very broad...

Last edited:
Both absolutely superb. I'm still in love with my Iron Maiden though. Just doesn't get old. Pretty much my favourite pin of all time

I played IMDN a few times at Pinfest, and quite enjoyed it. I don't like Iron Maidens music (which thankfully i couldn't hear over the noise of all the other machines)
I do love the Metallica pinball though and the music, which is why i bought one. The audio in the game is a big thing for me that can really make or break a game

Have owned a Met Prem, and now have an IMdn Pro.

IMdn wins hands down, not because Met is bad, but because IMdn is that good.

It manages to get the balance between being suitable for an expert player as well as a newbie. As you get deeper into IMdn it doesn't feel like 'chopping wood', there's always something different to shoot for; this is Met's biggest failing lighting the CIU modes becomes a bit of a drag.

The modes are easier achieved, shorter and have a purpose of completing (Soul Shards) rather than just points on Imdn than Met

The wizard modes on IMdn are also much more enjoyable and 'different' than on Met:
Cyborg MB vs Lady of Justice or Blackened or Fuel
2 Minutes to Madness vs Seek and Destroy
Run to the Hills vs End of the Line

Have owned a Met Prem, and now have an IMdn Pro.

IMdn wins hands down, not because Met is bad, but because IMdn is that good.

It manages to get the balance between being suitable for an expert player as well as a newbie. As you get deeper into IMdn it doesn't feel like 'chopping wood', there's always something different to shoot for; this is Met's biggest failing lighting the CIU modes becomes a bit of a drag.

The modes are easier achieved, shorter and have a purpose of completing (Soul Shards) rather than just points on Imdn than Met

The wizard modes on IMdn are also much more enjoyable and 'different' than on Met:
Cyborg MB vs Lady of Justice or Blackened or Fuel
2 Minutes to Madness vs Seek and Destroy
Run to the Hills vs End of the Line

Thanks Wayne - that's intriguing, and i value your opinion from the more serious player perceptive (that's a compliment ;)).

I think i might be flogging a couple of games in 2019 and going for a Pro... maybe LOTR and Congo... not sure yet.

Also as well as being two great games with iconic soundtracks, they’re both super responsive to modding :)

Work in progress:

Metallica
11CB9E0E-8DD6-44E8-AC8A-B8085BC00A83.jpeg
60A24196-CA9C-4902-BC64-A1D7B7DDF5E1.jpeg
Iron maiden
AF91F84F-C95C-45FE-9AD2-54E5ECE5FDFE.jpegD34D50F3-2ABC-4223-9FD1-32AE849DE4C9.jpeg

Last edited:
Also as well as being two great games with iconic soundtracks, they’re both super responsive to modding :)

Work in progress:

Metallica
View attachment 76075
View attachment 76078
Iron maiden
View attachment 76076View attachment 76077

Is that a Pro with the Premium translite @Spadge?

Leaning heavily towards the Pro sometime in 2019 on this one... unlike Met’s hammer, which seems pretty reliable, I don’t want to be faffing about with Maiden’s Premium toys all the time just to be able to play it. I appreciate they’re cool, better, fully featured game as designed, but I don’t have the time nor patience these days!

Meanwhile, the results so far:
FF4247CC-269E-4EFE-86B4-878BF587922D.jpeg

I strongly advise those who want IMDN to go for the Pro.

The captive ball and mummy sarcophagus mech are utter ****e. Honestly, Blue Peter and a bunch of 7 year olds could do better with fairy liquid bottles and sticky back plastic.

IMDN is the better game. I recently had my first decent game of MET ever at SWL with a score of just under 200M (normally I score 2m!). MET is a good game but as WWJ says it never ever feels like you are chopping wood on IMDN. OK apart from Power Ramps, where its more like Power Posts! You can't compare either of these to AC-DC as its simply not in the same league.

Back
Top Bottom