What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MET PREM - RGB fault, single insert

Monkeyboypaul

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul G
Looking for a sanity check on my Metallica Premium as 1 of the 6x RGB LED's has stopped behaving itself.

The RED has stopped working some of the time, but not all. I can't pin down the why or when, seems to not work for a bit in test but then start working work fine... Then I back to attract mode and it's not working again?!

Anyway...

The 6 RGB LED's are grouped into 3's via 2 plugs on the GRINDER driver board. I've swapped them over to see if the fault followed, but it didn't - which leaves me with either a blown LED or the wiring is bad. Talking about this on Pinside it seems these RGB LEDs can and do go bad, so I figured I'd try replacing one. It's 520-5333-00, but Pinball Heaven only do 520-5333-00B, so just wondered if anyone knows if they're interchangeable or not?

I've also asked Phil @ PH.

The more I look, the more I think they're totally interchangeable! Think it was the red wine fogging my brain earlier when I wrote this...

1703962942885.png

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 7.04.40 pm.png

vs

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 7.02.50 pm.png

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 7.03.08 pm.png

are you able to re-flow the solder on the pins of the RGB chip?, top photo, right side, red specifically.

Cheers - have you seen many Grinder board failures? Or just the RGB's?
I have seen more boards like 'the grinder board' fail on different games than the singular LED boards.

Also tried repairing a board out of Guardians (one of the big boards) - and found it was not the LEDs in that case. It was a controller chip.

Back
Top Bottom