What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Main fuse blow

domlouis

Registered
Hi
So I sold my sm to a guy on here by the name of Conrad.
He came to collect today. The game was working fine.
He took it away. Put it back up. Had a few hours play and all was fine. Next time he came back to it and turned it on. All lights on the game went out and it looks like the main fuse has blown (the one on/near the transformer).
In my limited experience, it is rather unusual for the main fuse to blow. What could cause this???
Thanks
Dom

A short in the input filter. BUT sometimes slow blow fuses just give up due to age because they lose their ability to pass surge currents. Replace the fuse and if it doesn't blow then there's probably nothing to worry about.

Hi Dom. Many thanks for opening the thread. The pin is great... not your fault the fuse blew.
Andy, thank you for your reply. I really want to try and get it working again tomorrow before my kids go nuts! The broken fuse is an 8A 250V glass slow-blow. Would these ones from Maplin be suitable: https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/8a-time-delay-ceramic-20mm-fuse-10-pack-pc91y? I'm assuming that time-delay is the same as slow-blow? And that it's ok to use ceramic instead of glass?
Thanks
Conrad

Should be a 5a slow blow. Time delay are similar and can be used. I think 20mm is used, just check the length.

Whenever you move a pinball machine you run the risk that something happens. Fuses. Bulbs. Some connector block moves slightly. Or an old solder splat from a careless Repair years ago gets unseated. This little landmine then causes a short somewhere.

Fuse wire is fragile. The vibrations of the car journey could very well have caused this.

The damned things are like halogen light bulbs. If a bulb blows in your house and you need to scavenge a halogen bulb from elsewhere as a temp fix, there is a fair chance that you will kill the working bulb.

I've had 2 line input goes bad in the last 3 months... early sign will be electrics tripping on first switch on. Once the main fuse starts to blow inside the cab, its as Andy said a shorted out line input filter.

If I remember correctly had this same fuse blow when I first bought my IJ4 off Nick M ,a good few years ago !
I put in a new fuse in it and that was the end of that problem :)
as Andy says , fuses do give up the ghost :)

Back
Top Bottom