What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LOTR resetting!

Monkeyboypaul

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul G
Hello,

I had an issue with LOTR over the weekend. A friend said it reset on him during a multiball - and for a game that's NEVER reset on me; i was a little surprised.

Then i watched it get into a 'restart loop' - where it couldn't really boot fully, with the playfield lights freezing up and the GI relay clicking every few seconds... so he moved on Iron Man instead :)

Checking PinballInfo and Pinside later, as you do, I found this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-lord-of-the-rings#post-1843356

It listed a few possible causes:

1) Power cord was loose and when I was stepping to do a switch test I was making the power cord come out of the wall just a bit. The power cord is fine.
2) Corrosion had snuck into the chip right under the batteries. This machine has NVRAM fitted, and i can't see any corrosion except for 2 or maybe 3 pins at CN1, the little ribbon cable connector at the bottom right.
3) The chip right under the batteries had become loose. They're not loose.
4) The switch in Balrog was making contact with one wire that has voltage to make the light work in Balrog so it was causing problems on restarting the game. It's possible this could be a problem, but has never happened til now.

Has anyone else ever had this reset issue before?

Those pins and the little CN1 cable probably need replacing anyway, and the Balrog may get taken out for some 'tidying up'.

IMG_1406.JPG

Cheers.

IMG_1407.JPGIMG_1408.JPGIMG_1409.JPG
(...ignoring my little red/blue + resistor audio hum hack)

Back
Top Bottom