What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Life is Precious

Colywobbles

Banned
Site Supporter
Alias
Billy Big B*llocks
Not a lot of people on here know but I lost a very dear and close friend last Christmas and as he had no family to speak of I was left do do all the arrangements for his funeral ect as he surprisingly put me down as next of kin.

Last week I handed the keys over to his house to the Soliciters for it to be auctioned and proceeds to look after his wife with late stage dimentia.
A very sad time indeed and end of an era.

Dave wasn’t into pinball but left me a lot of personal and prized possessions that in a way are similar to our pin collections that mean nothing once you gone but put things into perspective.

Today I had a call to inform me that another very close friend and mate of many years suddenly and unexpectedly passed away Xmas eve.

It kinda makes you forget what is really important in the grand scheme of things and just how precious life really is.

The older I get the more I appreciate life especially family and friends many of which I have been lucky to have made during my 30yrs in pinball.
So tonite I will raise a glass to to everyone past and present and next year vow to let the little things that annoy me go over my head.

I apologise if I’ve upset anyone on here or spoke out of turn as it was never my intention.

Finally I will try not get overly excited with the latest pin and feel it has to be in my life but instead try to enjoy what I have, Friends and Family being the top of the list.

Sorry if this comes across as a bit of a downer over the festivities but think these are the best times to reflect and feel blessed for what we have.

Have a great Christmas everyone and make sure you give your loved ones a kiss n cuddle each night and tell them how much you really appreciate and love them.

Feel free to raise a glass with me for the loved ones you have also lost and remember dearly.

Col

As always Col, well thought out and honest post. Said it you privately, but agree with the sentiments fully. Too short for the fussing, fighting and bitching. Too short to not do what makes you happy. I'll raise a glass tonight.

I lost my dear Mum just before last christmas to cancer. Although losing someone you love sucks hard in so many respects, the positives for me was that I got to tell her I loved her, write her a long letter that read to her personally (something that a few days later wouldn't have been possible) and given the circumstances of this year, was able to travel out to Australia to be with her. In a lot of ways, I was incredibly lucky and fortunate. Life is short, people are all that matter in the end, and the legacy you leave behind comes from the love you make and the goodness you create while you're here.

On a more pinballey note Col - huge thanks for the etched acrylic and the LED housing you sent out, especially during such a challenging time. Going to put together a bigger post on it all once the board and controller work is done. massive thanks and respect. 🤘

I know where your coming from with this I got a phone call on Christmas Eve to tell me one of my friends and all round gentleman had died he was only 49 years old got diagnosed a couple of months back that he had a rare form of pancreatic cancer and there was nothing they could do but still came as a shock so I raised a drink to him on Christmas night,puts everything into perspective with life.

Today’s the 2 year anniversary of my best pal Graham passing away at age 60. Raising a glass tonight. He got diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis only a few months earlier. nasty disease. I managed to take him on a tour of the highlands of Scotland as he’d always wanted to go. it was a lovely trip that i’ll never forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally I will try not get overly excited with the latest pin and feel it has to be in my life but instead try to enjoy what I have, Friends and Family being the top of the list.
Sure, enjoy what you have but I feel the message is find enjoyment anywhere you can and revel in that feeling if it makes you happy, no matter what others say.
Then find people who share your interest and enjoy it all together. Let the fun spread.

I know exactly what you mean, in 2008 at the age of 39 I was diagnosed with Hodgkin Lymphoma.
Stage 2b with a 4” tumour in my chest and others around my chest/neck.
I asked what were the odds and given 50/50 chance to live, I remember thinking if I was my dog I would have been put down!
With 4 kids and a wife it was a mind *uck.
6 months of chemo and 3 weeks of daily radiotherapy and I’m still here, you can’t keep a good dog down!!!

Anyway I’m still here but with a totally different attitude hence the pin room build a f it attitude etc

Live life people because you never know when the grim reaper will be calling and I saw him but that’s another story😱

Happy new year😁

Col, I'm with you on this. Definitely raising a glass tonight and many others, having recently lost an aunt and uncle within two weeks of each other, leaving a cousin without parents and two grandchildren behind.

We don't know each other (other than purchasing one of your awesome Stern signs), but I agree with the sentiments above. Once the funeral is over and things return to something like normal, I will be making sure that my family know how much they mean to me.

My uncle loved whisky/whiskey so just the dilemma of whether to choose Irish or Scottish this evening.

Good health and stay safe all.

@Colywobbles and everyone else that has lost friends and loved ones, I’ve also been on the same journey this year, it’s ****, very **** 😢

My thoughts are with our absent friends and family members, a reminder to us, to take life with both hands and embrace it, make the most of it, time, the most precious commodity in the world.

Take care pin friends,

Chris.

Very sorry to hear that so many have lost friends and family, life is indeed cut too short too frequently.

One of my best friends died a little over a year ago. He was a fireman and was competing in a triathlon in Spain. He kissed his wife and kids goodbye on the beach and they wished him luck in the race. He drowned within sight of them all but due to the melee that is a triathlon nobody noticed. He was 45 and I'd known him since we were kids.

I often wonder what he'd have made of all this Covid malarkey.

@M4carp . . . . amazing story mate. We all need to hear a bit of that I think.

Absent friends & family 🥃 x

2020, it's been one to forget that's for sure. Sorry to hear of everyone elses's losses. Christmas always brings me to a low (lower) mood so I don't really feel like celebrating it, not because I'm a Humbug, although I probably am, it just reminds me of what I've lost. Bening single and alone over Xmas sucks, thankfully I have 1 parent left.

Good job there's online communities like this which stop you from feeling quite so alone.

I'm so sorry to hear of your losses Col. Mentally processing the passing of a loved one is never easy, but around Christmas time is always so much harder. Wishing you well and all the best mate. To all those wonderful people in our lives that are sadly no longer with us 🍺

Back
Top Bottom