What's new

Leveling pinball machine (metal brackets blocking holes?)

Durzel

Registered
I'm fitting some black leg bolts to my TZ (big job I know) and at the same time I wanted to adjust the front legs because when it's on the ground the front of the machine is higher than the pins next to it, and the back is nearly at the end of the threads.

Anyway I've taken off the legs and found that there are protectors of a sort already fitted, and they block access to the to top screw holes on all 4 legs?

Did these things come with the machine from the factory? Does anyone know what combination of holes I should use front and back given that there are 3 available? (if I remove the metal brackets). Should those brackets be kept on? (I have leg protectors to go on anyway)

Thanks in advance.

1ACC2BA4-8092-4365-A0F6-5C4681FD0387.jpeg
9E216066-38EE-470F-B042-E15460CB0190.jpeg
37C63FBC-FD26-44BC-9621-F933A5130D61.jpeg

Last edited:
Those brackets are usually added to machines that have been redecalled, to prevent the legs causing ripples in the decals. TZ was screen printed from the factory. Stern put them on their recent 2011ish onwards games too, since moving from screen printing to decals.

Personally, I’d definitely leave those brackets on and use the bigger plastic coloured leg protectors.

My TZ also has 3 holes per leg (seems very common), and I can get a quick pic of the positioning for you tomorrow if that helps.

I've got some bigger leg protectors to go on, that was going to be part of the job.

I'm reluctant to take the metal brackets off simply because they're there and look like they're supposed to be (if that makes sense), but it does mean I can only use the bottom two holes all round which makes the pin higher than the 2 next to it (front lockbar is visibly higher in profile, rear legs are about 3cm left on the thread)

Thanks for the offer. Was really hoping to get this sorted today as it's the only time I have.

The legs should be bolted to the lower two holes. Have you got no more adjustment on the feet to lower them? Do you have the correct length leg 28 1/2” ?

Will go check leg length now. They were in the bottom two holes front and back, the top hole is inaccessible with the metal brackets in situ.

Fronts were wound in all the way (slightly higher on left due to slant of floor)

Almost certain my game uses the lower 2 holes at the rear and the top 2 holes at the front. You can unscrew the brackets and reposition them, just 2 screws each. I pre-drilled 2mm swallow pilot holes. I may be able to check later this afternoon.

Confirmed legs are 28.5"

Thanks @Monkeyboypaul that would be a great help to me :)

EDIT: No need to worry. It turns out the metal brackets on the inside of the machine don't have 3 thread holes anyway, so I can't use the top holes on the front anyway. Never mind.

Thanks @Monkeyboypaul and @pinballmania for your help.

Last edited:
Apparently during development they used legs with three bolts to support the extra weight.

I would leave the protectors on but put them in the correct place (bottom holes). I have these protectors on a few of my wms/bally pins, they do a better job than the plastic protectors, the plastic alone won't prevent the wrinkling.

Back
Top Bottom