What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lethal Weapon 3 Restore

Andypc

Site Supporter
I am in the middle of restoring the Lethal Weapon 3 I picked up. This is the first one I am doing myself. So far so good :) I managed to find a post on Pinside with the colour details.

Valspar
Base 4 94101
4008-10C
102-24 113-8.5 105-0.125

As my local B&Q do Valspar paints I managed to get a tester made up and it's a pretty good match. The problem is I need it made up in a spray paint and they all use RAL colours and I can find no way of converting the Valspar colour details to RAL?

Any idea's or does anyone know a good spray paint colour match?

There might not be an exact colour match as there are several colour standard used.

If you have a colour of paint you are happy with, then you could always get a custom colour paint made up

I have the custom colour made up in a tester and it is a good match. Just need to find out how I can get the colour 4008-10c made up in a spray can or converted to a RAL code so I can get it made up.

Last edited:
Thinners and a compressor?
Any recommendations on a reasonably priced compressor as I don't currently have one? Was hoping to get the colour made up in a can as they are less than a tenner if you have the right colour code.

Halfords offered a rattle can for a touch up paint recently not sure of Ral or colour matching but might be worth a try? Hopefully this helps?

My B&Q say they can make the paint up as a pot or as a rattle can..

If you have got the paint mix from them surely they should be able to put it in a can for you?.

Yesterday, I ended up taking the backbox to a professional colour matching service and left it with them for 24 hours to do an exact match.

https://www.carcolourservices.co.uk

I collected the paint and the backbox today and spent most of the day doing preparation and painting. Unfortunately the match is terrible :-(

Does anyone have any spare Lethal Weapon 3 backbox decals?

20180901_193619 (2).jpg
I was going to blend the lines the with 1500 wet and dry and then lacquer, but didn't when I saw have far off the colour match was!!!
20180901_175240.jpg

Wow and ouch, I feel your pain. You would have thought they would have done a test dab before letting you take it away.

If decals don't come up have you got enough paint left to give another coat if you could mix it to match, it looks the right tone just a bit dark?

Ah you went that way in the end. I would complain as it's a shocking example.

Decals here as an option if nothing else comes up....
https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/lethal-weapon-3-pinball-cabinet-decals-blue/

The compressor I'm using is this...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ParkerBran...236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=50l+compressor

It's often under £100 and the pump puts out about 9.4 CFM tested. At 2 bar with euro fittings on the spray gun it seems ok. Ran the gun continuously for over 10mins today without issue.

That’s miles out. I don’t think they put any effort not matching that for you.. time to bang on some counters mate

I ordered a set of decals and unfortunately the colour match on the blue was some way off. So yesterday I was back to the original plan of trying to save the original side art and blend in the blue. I went back to the original Valspar colour code 4008-10C Base C (Aladdin's Wish) which was by far the best match to the original colour where it had not faded. After painting I clear coated the sides to protect them. I am pleased with the result given the challenges I had.
20180926_125613.jpg
20180926_125647.jpg
Picture Before:-
20180818_173448.jpg

Last edited:
I have repaired and painted the back corners and back of the base.
20180902_120635.jpg
I had the gun polished and have reinstalled it along with the painted, lockdown mech and coin door (Before and After Pics).
Before (23)b.jpg
20180907_234741.jpg

Last edited:
Just unwrapped the legs after getting them powder coated. They did a great job, but can anyone spot the problem. WTF!!!
20181010_190547.jpg

Stick it on - it'll be fine, you may just start TILT'ing as much as I do....

If it makes you feel any better there must be someone else out there thinking exactly the same thing.

DE moved from 28.5" to 30.5" legs at machine GnR when the bolt holes were moved up the cabinet to accommodate. So you probably have 3 long wrong and 1 short right. But you know that:)

My first ever restore that I have done myself is finally complete. Huge thanks to @vib_ribbon for his help and @pinballmania and @replicas for their help with parts.
I am pleased with the results for a first attempt and it plays really well.
Quick reminder of how bad it was.
Before (33)a.jpg
So whats been done.
Backbox a cabinet repaired and painted
New DMD
New DMD power board
Main power board reflowed by vib-ribbon
New connectors to replace burnt ones
Ramp spot welded
Wire ramps chromed
Mirrored plastic and DMD Perspex made by https://in-storedisplays.co.uk/
Lockdown bar powder coated
New Comet LED's
New plastics
New stickers
New rubbers
New Stand up targets
New Bumper Skirts and Ring & Rods
New Knocker and various coil brackets.
Two New switches.
Used my spare set of legs, due to size mismatch!
New topper lamp
NOS translite

Would probably have been cheaper to buy one that was already done, but I have learnt lots from the experience.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom