What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LEDs ?

Lippy427

Registered
Hi,

Now I'm not normally a fan of LEDs (find they tend to be too harsh and/or flicker), but having said that I'm thinking about putting them on Spiderman. The reason being that some of the inserts don't appear to be particularly well lit (e.g. Venom, Doc Ock) and the SM's I've seen online with LEDs do seem to look rather good. I've had a look at some pinball wibesites that do the LED kits (cointaker, marco etc.) and they seem rather expensive. I notice that Pinball Heaven now stock LEDs and at 50p a pop they seem a lot cheaper than any of the kits I can see! So was wondering if anyone has had any experience of the kits or of the LEDs that Phil sells ?

Cheers

Geoff

http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/noflix-pinball-leds-c-22.html

I got mine here for my RFM. Despite them managing to miss a couple of LED's, and one being the wrong colour (didnt match the insert colour) they are great
smile-1.png
And cheapish too
smile-1.png

Thanks for the info.

I've just added a couple of LEDs to a PH order to see what they are like.

Paul, did you get the 'standard' or the 'Noflix PLUS' ?

There's a vid on their website (http://www.pinballcenter.eu/english/videos/noflix-plus/) comparing LEDs - but not sure what they're trying to show as even the PLUS ones are varying in intensity, or am I missing the point (there's no text with the vid).

hmm, the cointaker kits are $155 or $195 and that's before shipping and customs. Doesn't seem cheap to me or maybe my expectations are wrong.

Cheers

I got the "noflix" ones for my RFM. I'll take some video later tonight to show what they are like.

I would only recommend using them on the inserts tho. I did lots of investigative work, and ended up just doing the inserts and was glad i did. incandescents are still good for GI, since LED's tend to be very directional...

I guess this would be the one you wanted...

http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/spiderman-noflix-led-playfield-kit-p-561.html?language=english

Rather than the more expensive noflix plus ones.. As i say i'll go take some video in a bit when the kids are in bed...

Thanks for that guys - the Noflix look good, just need to decide whether the plus are worth the extra (don't suppose you managed to film your RFM Paul?)

Cheers

Lippy427' date=' post: 1679350 said:
Hi,

Now I'm not normally a fan of LEDs (find they tend to be too harsh and/or flicker), but having said that I'm thinking about putting them on Spiderman. The reason being that some of the inserts don't appear to be particularly well lit (e.g. Venom, Doc Ock)

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff - There's a reason they aren't bright and LEDs in the Sandman, Venom, Dock Ock or Green Goblin inserts on the feature "wheel" will mess up the effect!

Those four inserts are lit in a special way. When you complete any of the villains once, they light dimly, 2nd time more brightly and 3rd time as bright as the rest of the lamps, it's very clever programming. As an LED is only off or on, you will lose this effect

Lippy427' date=' post: 1679753 said:
Thanks for that guys - the Noflix look good, just need to decide whether the plus are worth the extra (don't suppose you managed to film your RFM Paul?)

Cheers

Sorry mate - distracted - Will take some Vid tonite...

Paul

Thanks for the info Nick. Hadn't fully appreciated what was happening there - had noticed that they were sometimes very dim, but hadn't linked the brightness to how far through the feature you were (thought that it was more likely a fault!). Almost seems superfluous as each villian has three lights/inserts that show you your progress (quicker and easier than trying to decide how bright an insert is).

Not had the machine that long and am about to give it a strip down and full clean, so will leave the decision about LEDs until after I've done that - everything should look brighter once clean and shiney anyway, so may decide against LEDs after all.

Thaks for all inputs.

Cheers

Geoff

I'd still like to have a nose at the video please. I'm looking to get LEDs for a few of my pins and trying to decide between the noflix and the noflix plus.

I went for the Plus but I reckon you would be hard pushed to tell the difference either way

If you buy the noflis PLUS they require you to remove the light boards instead of just popping out the little black connectors. This could add quite a considerable amount of time/effort to the refitting on some machines.

Got 4 coloured LEDs from pinball heaven the other day and I've just stuck them in the 'spot lights' on SM to have a quick look (probably not the best place to use them?).

Didn't notice any flicker at all - though that may be due to the viewing angle.

Some colurs seemed brighter than others. I'll put them in some of the inserts tonight and see what they look like compared to white and coloured bulbs and post back.

right - when the kids are in bed in around an hour i'll take a vid of my RFM with noflix (no plus) in. Sorry for the delay
sad-1.png

Paul

all the one's i bought glow dimly (randomly) when the insert is not supposed to!

i then tried some others off fleabay that were supposed to be 'flicker free'....

waste of effort fitting them in my personal experience.

this is what put me off ordering from noflix in europe or the usa vendors.

The no flix variety are supposed to come with smoothing capacitors within the led unit (well, thats what it states on the website anyway) supposedly stopping the 'flicker'. Not seen them personally, but i doubt they would be able state such a claim and sell them without someone complaining and slagging them across the internet....

hmmm. that sounds about right to be fair russ.

as you can imagine i hve been a little sceptical with regards to led's with my prior experiences.

im not poor but not im not a rich man either so have to watch the pennies i spend on my hobbies.

my wife to be is very good but my previous hobbies were fast bikes and (very large) reef aquariums which gave me silly tyre and chain use and £200 per month leccy bills accordingy.

as you would expect she's a little more watchfull of our pennies these days.

:oops:

I have bought leds from Cointaker and Albert Medaillon. The cointaker variety are the worst as they both flicker like mad AND fall out the bulb holders after a few games. Alberts leds are made from thicker plastic so dont fall out of the holders, but they tend to flicker slightly also.

I will have to try the no flix stuff one day. They looked really good on Jon's SM when he posted a vid a while back.

Well I tried a blue, gree, yellow and red LED from pinball heaven in the inserts last night...

The good news is I didn't notice any flicker.

But on the downside I'd have to agree with Wayne g's comment about being lit when not supposed to be. I put the green one under a pumpkin bomb insert in front of the Green Goblin and when the light show was moving up and down the bomb inserts, the LED one would flash faintly whilst it was supposed to be off. Didn't notice this on any of the others though. Having had another look at Jonathan's vid (above) it looks like the pumpkin bombs never go out on his SM - though I guess this could be the lighting where the vid was taken?

Think I'll stick to using coloured filamant bulbs as I still find the LEDs to be too bright/harsh - I play in the dark.

Cheers

Lippy427' date=' post: 1681846 said:
Well I tried a blue, gree, yellow and red LED from pinball heaven in the inserts last night...

But on the downside I'd have to agree with Wayne g's comment about being lit when not supposed to be.

Cheers

....annoying isn't it!

:mad:

it like my old mini in the rain!

tongue-1.png

Not a great video, demonstrates the effectiveness of led on inserts only, however to be honest the inserts down the sides are really green however for some reason they seem to come out blue when i record using my iphone....

Also just found this on Youtube....

Before:

After:

I put a noflix plus insert kit in my ToM and was very pleased with the result - no flicker at all! I pretty much use them pinball centre ones all the time now, tho I did get some UV ones from coin taker and they don't seem to flicker either...

Oh, on a side note, is it easy to do the under pf scoops or is it a case of talking directly to Mr Dreads?
smile-1.png

@ Rav. scoop illumination is a breeze, I normally just jump another light in the lamp matrix, or tie it in to the GI , with another lamp holder, point and shoot..

stan

I still think the best I've seen are from rapid electronics in Colchester. They are just shy of a quid each but no flicker and nice and bright.

I've just taken delivery of a nice DW from Jonathan off the forum which has a full led kit fitted. Not sure which sort they are bit they are nice and bright with no flicker.

Back
Top Bottom