What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League Fees - People's Thoughts ??

In the Irish league (covers North an South) we have started charging £10 per meet. League gets their normal slice and the Hosts get the rest. I was worried it might reduce the numbers but if anything its increased them (nearly 20 per meet now)

£150 buys a chunk of food and soft drinks but i think hosts are still out of pocket but most really enjoy hosting and showing off their machines/ game rooms
I guess the quality of snacks has also went up..

I've set the fees at £2 plus donation to the host, but will have a suggested donation of £10. I'm sure some will give more, some less - I didn't want entry fee to be a barrier to anyone (although @David_Vi has said this is probably unlikely to be an issue).

For PinHaus comps I have generally spent around £100 on food, including £56 for 4 sandwich platters, £20 for a cake from Sponge, plus money towards ingredients for the cheesecakes, lots of snacks and drinks. I could likely do it cheaper if I put my mind to it (made sandwiches rather than buying the platters, for example), but I enjoy hosting and the pre-made platters are a lot more convenient!

The only downside to a £10 fee that I can see (in my case at least) is that with a wife and 3 kids in tow it would make me think twice because of the cost.

Can’t find any information on it other than suggested here, what’s the changes to the pinball league format for next year ?

Can’t find any information on it other than suggested here, what’s the changes to the pinball league format for next year ?
There is an additional meet where there is a regional playoff to go through to the league final.
Don't really see the point other than to cowtow to wppr.

There is an additional meet where there is a regional playoff to go through to the league final.
Don't really see the point other than to cowtow to wppr.

I think a finals is fun and gives all the meets more of a purpose. Plus nice to have a finals with the locals rather than just a few at Pinfest.

There will be some hosts with the capability/ time/ willingness to cost effectively prepare food from scratch.

Not everyone is in that bucket though. I leave it to the professionals - talented pizza, sausage, bread cob, washed salad and individually wrapped ice cream makers that lovingly produce millions of the things every year in huge factories.

I think a finals is fun and gives all the meets more of a purpose.
Personally I think a finals does the exact opposite - rather than finishing first in the league meets meaning that you're the champion of the region having performed consistently well over the season, you can be beaten by someone who has only just qualified for the finals if they have a good day.

(Imagine if the top 6 in the Premiership ⚽ played a series of matches for the final after the league season had finished? You might end up having Spurs as Champions!)😂

Personally I think a finals does the exact opposite - rather than finishing first in the league meets meaning that you're the champion of the region having performed consistently well over the season, you can be beaten by someone who has only just qualified for the finals if they have a good day.

(Imagine if the top 6 in the Premiership ⚽ played a series of matches for the final after the league season had finished? You might end up having Spurs as Champions!)😂

Now I know how Wayne felt when he was doing all this :p

To be fair - I'm proposing that regional finals are best run with a ladder style format. That means (if the region has 8 players in their finals) the 8th placed player has to beat everyone above them in a consecutive series of matches to win. It's not impossible, but it's incredibly tough. And the top seed from the league play has the distinct advantage of not needing to go through that endurance battle.

All that said - that year that Danielle Acciari crushed his way through the ladder PAPA Circuit Finals from last place to first was probably the most incredible tournament I ever witnessed (over the internet). If things like that happen in regional finals it will hopefully be as memorable

Edit: Just made a playlist of Danielle's feat because if you've got 10 hours or so to kill this is worth a watch :D

Last edited:
Now I know how Wayne felt when he was doing all this :p

To be fair - I'm proposing that regional finals are best run with a ladder style format. That means (if the region has 8 players in their finals) the 8th placed player has to beat everyone above them in a consecutive series of matches to win. It's not impossible, but it's incredibly tough. And the top seed from the league play has the distinct advantage of not needing to go through that endurance battle.

All that said - that year that Danielle Acciari crushed his way through the ladder PAPA Circuit Finals from last place to first was probably the most incredible tournament I ever witnessed (over the internet). If things like that happen in regional finals it will hopefully be as memorable

Edit: Just made a playlist of Danielle's feat because if you've got 10 hours or so to kill this is worth a watch :D

Couldn't agree more Paul. That PAPA Circuit is still the best/most memorable pinball competition ever streamed in my opinion.

Always loved the ladder format 😉

Surely not much different to a ladder final where the top 16 qualified and the 16th position seed knocks out the 1st position seed?

I see your point though, but I'd like to think of them as separate entities. I'd still be chuffed to finish the meets as first and then see the finals as a different event.

"You might end up having Spurs as Champions!)😂"
🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮 - sorry Matt V 😅

Back
Top Bottom