What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf spring adjustment

Durzel

Registered
One of the standup targets on my TZ (yellow 5 mil one to the left of the piano hole) requires too much movement to activate, so needs adjustment.

I've never done this before. I know it involves bending one of the contacts at the bottom.

I have two questions really..

Can anyone recommend a decent tool (ideally one that makes the job idiot proof if such a thing exists) and ideally a link to buy it?

Do I have to unscrew the target from the bottom of the playfield to adjust it, as I've seen in some videos?

Thanks!

If you can reach it without removing then I can't see any reason to remove it. All you are trying to do is move the contacts closer together. You can start a game or go in to the test menus and press the target with your finger to check your adjustment has worked.

Just got around to doing this, ended up buying a leaf spring adjustment tool from @pinballmania

Unfortunately I'm struggling to use it. The guides I've read say you're supposed to put it over the two (of three) blades, at the back of the leaf switch, when adjusting it.

The problem I'm having is that the slot on the tool (on both ends) is only wide enough to push over one blade. It is not wide enough to go over two.

Both the leaf switches I need to adjust the two blades at the back have a very small gap between them, making it impossible to put the tool over both of them.

I'm obviously doing something wrong here.... thoughts?

you only put it over one blade at a time to adjust that blade. do them one at a time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But the two blades at the back of the switch are close together? The two blades at the back of the switch are too close together (but not close enough to put the tool over both of them)

Are you not supposed to put the tool at the bottom of the blades to adjust?

I was using this as a guide:

yes at the bottom. a slingshot leaf switch will have the two outer contact leafs and maybe a third very thin leaf in between. just adjust one or the other outer leaf you need to adjust. if the slingshot is firing too soon then maybe adjust both back a bit away from the front rubber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not firing of its own accord so much as the rubber rebound is making it fire another 1-2 times.

Thanks for your help.

Perhaps the ring has stretched over time that could cause a similar machine gunning symptom:hmm:

If the switch does need adjusting I usually drop it out to see what I'm working with. I adjust the gap via the thicker middle leaf that separates the flimsy outer ones. I use the same tool as you (invaluable) assuming it was previously working small adjustments should make a big difference.

Good luck you this will be another skill in your pinball ****nal:thumbs:

EDIT. Thats just an example switch below from my spares, I'm not suggesting snip it off!!!

20180707_103950.jpg

Back
Top Bottom