What's new

Latest Pins and Fade problems

Colywobbles

Banned
Site Supporter
Alias
Billy Big B*llocks
As the title says I was wondering do the latest pins from JJP, CGC & Stern suffer from fade like the older Bally/Williams did back in the day.

Reason I ask as my Niece took delivery of a NIB IM premium a few weeks ago and it’s currently sitting in their day room which has sliding glass doors across one side and a 5x3M atrium above so it is quenched in sunlight.
The pin is in The shadiest corner and It is not directly under the atrium but to one side as the room is 15 x 10m and that was the obvious place IMO

We can always get a pinball cover made if this is an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd get it covered, any paint will get thrashed by the sunshine, reds and yellows being the worst. The position of the sun from Spring to Autumn and it's intensity is noticeable, even where my pins are they're pretty sheltered.

Get it covered ASAP Cobbly-wobblies!

You can get film that goes over the glass that blocks 99% of UV without reducing the amount of light getting in to the room too much.

A conservatory type structure is going to be the worst place to store anything like that. I wouldn't assume anything would be very resistant to it, paint and fabrics in particular would suffer given enough time. Sunlight and heat is not a good combination.

You can get film that goes over the glass that blocks 99% of UV without reducing the amount of light getting in to the room too much.

A conservatory type structure is going to be the worst place to store anything like that. I wouldn't assume anything would be very resistant to it, paint and fabrics in particular would suffer given enough time. Sunlight and heat is not a good combination.
It’s not quite a conservatory structure but there is a lot of light so I think we need to sort a cover at the very least11E092D7-36CE-476F-A160-E0CDFDC272BE.jpeg

To answer the question though, I haven't seen a modern pin faded, has anyone else? I have 5 in a conservatory but with blinds all around and solar reflective inserts in the polycarbonate roof.

I spoke with George Gomez at EAG last year about paint fade on modern pinballs. He explained to me that paint technology has come a long way from how they were done in the 90’s and it isn’t a problem anymore.
Saying that, I personally would still be careful keeping them uncovered in a conservatory.

So who owns the newest faded game? We see lots of faded High Speed 2 but they're 25 years old, what newer has faded?

I think the biggest issue these days is extremes of temperature and also humidity in the air. Modern inks are usually uv protected i think, so fade is less likely. Maybe we have to wait a few more years to really see though

Back
Top Bottom