What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junk Yard trough opto problem

Alan Syson

Site Supporter
JY is chucking two balls into the shooter lane. Problem first came to light last NERG, I turned up at the set up to find @ronsplooter looking into it. I left him to it & the machine performed flawlessly for the weekend, did you find a fault Mr Splooter or did it fix itself?
On return the fault came back, did some poking around without finding anything but the fault disappeared. Fast forward to a company of days ago, had to lift the PF & the fault returned.
In switch test ball 3 isn’t recognised, all transmitters are illuminated on the trough opto board so I replaced the receiver, no joy.
Took the trough boards out of MM & put them in, no change. I have continuity from receiver 3 (yellow/orange) to main opto board & now I’m stumped. Any ideas out there?
Cheers, Alan.

Sounds like an issue on the trough jam opto. That signals to kick out two balls. How’s that in switch test?

Trough receiver opto 3 bust or not connected.

Imagine trough optos 1,2 3 as XXX or OOO depending on if open/closed...

So:

3 balls in trough - XXX - all optos closed: all 3 balls breaking the beams.

2 balls in trough - XXX - all optos closed: 2 balls breaking beams 1&2 and 3 which is bust. So pin still thinks 3 balls still in trough and hence retires kickout.

Now youve got 2 balls in shooter lane.

1 ball in trough - XOX - real ball at 1, none at 2, bust at 3. Pin now knows ball is in shooter lane, although something not right in trough. Doesnt care, as its counting 2 balls as being in trough. Must just be a jam and will wait for a drain to help clear it... so game carries on as normal.

Tim

did you find a fault Mr Splooter or did it fix itself?

Alan, from what I remember we fiddled with the trough opto connectors and also the connections in the backbox and it fixed itself. I don't remember making any particular fix though... @Wizcat was with me I think, Paul you remember us doing anything with this?

Sooo.. just swapped with the MM trough opto boards again and JY works fine. Alternating receiver/trans in JY points to the receiver board being duff. My replacement receiver is bad, my soldering’s crap or there’s a cold solder somewhere. Why didn’t I take up stamp collecting for a hobby?

Reflow solder on your opto receiver board, could be cracked or dry around the connector socket maybe?
Does the issue transfer to MM when using your JY receiver?

Does the issue transfer to MM when using your JY receiver
Yes. Something I didn’t try yesterday so it’s deffo receiver board. I bought a soldering station a couple of weeks ago & it has a hot air reworking thingy on it so I’ll give it a blast with that. If no joy think a replacement board will be easiest

Check the resistors too, they get hot and become loose sometimes, reflow everything and I bet it’ll work fine [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alan, from what I remember we fiddled with the trough opto connectors and also the connections in the backbox and it fixed itself. I don't remember making any particular fix though... @Wizcat was with me I think, Paul you remember us doing anything with this?

You've obviously got a better memory than me :hmm:

I doubt I'd have done more than reseating the connectors, as you say. I suppose we just got lucky!? Sorry, I have no good advice here! Good luck Alan

Back
Top Bottom