What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JPOP - end game?

Replay

Site Supporter
This announcement took my breath away...... shocking it has been allowed to get to this stage after 4 years. Zero money left.

May 21, 2015

RE: PLAN OF ACTION FOR PURCHASERS OF MAGIC GIRL™, RAZA AND AIW

It is with great excitement, determination and love for pinball that has led me to pursue and find a possible solution that can be announced to you today. I want to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you who believed in the magical designs that have been created. I acknowledge and appreciate the faith you have in placing deposits with Zidware, Inc. (“Zidware”) to deliver to you incredible machines that take pinball to another level. Thank you for your patience and support …this well-deserved update will give you a good idea of where we have been and where we are headed in the future.

First and foremost, my apologies for not being a better businessman. In the past, great success was accomplished by focusing on what I do best… design and artistic direction of games. The business mechanics were left to the executives at companies such as Williams and Bally. I did not realize what it entails to run a company and get a machine designed and produced from start to finish. At the rate that I have been going, bankruptcy would be inevitable absent some type of corrective action. Zidware no longer has the ability to get Magic Girl™ (“MG”) into production let alone Retro Atomic Zombie Adventureland™ (“RAZA”) and Alice in Wonderland The Pinball™ (“AIW”). A copy of current financials will be available evidencing the impossible predicament Zidware currently faces. Further, the delivery of machines to my customers who have placed orders and provided deposits has always been my primary concern and a responsibility that I take very seriously.

Therefore, I have sought out a solution to bring these games into production and to benefit all purchasers who have continued to believe in me. Apologies for the lack of communication, however it was best to find a workable solution first, rather than to string everyone along on false hopes. At this point I have a plan in place and therefore am taking this opportunity to share it with you. My hope is that with this solid plan, you, as a purchaser, will be supportive of this endeavor and remain patient and work with this plan to achieve the desired goal of producing MG, RAZA and AIW machines.

What is the plan and how will it help the purchasers of Zidware products?
In a call for help, one of my customers, a businessman specializing in the restructuring of companies, realized that there was no way Zidware could get this project over the finish line and into production. He was saddened by the fact that many would suffer a loss and it would be a black eye for the pinball industry and my reputation.

Over the last month or so, this individual and his associates have done extensive due diligence on Zidware to determine the best plan of action. They have assembled a team of professionals capable in bringing pinball machines to production under a new, unrelated company. I have granted this new company (“Licensee”) an exclusive license for MG, RAZA and AIW. They will then be able to take MG from its current state to the point of production, along with potential orders for RAZA and AIW. Once these machines are produced, the Licensee plans to continue and grow to become an industry leader in creative unique pinball design.

What can you expect next?

The Licensee is now underway to complete a master prototype Magic Girl™. An announcement will be made as to when this will be, however the goal is to have it ready in time to unveil at an upcoming show. From this point forward, information and progress will be provided by the Licensee as Zidware is no longer in control.

This group is currently in the process of negotiating with proven known quality manufacturers to get the games produced. As soon as this is contracted, purchasers will be notified and given a forecast of the timeline to complete development as well as release dates for final product. As it stands today, the anticipated timeframe until production of MG is approximately 2 years or sooner.

As for the other 2 games, art work will be under the Licensee’s direction and prototypes will be forthcoming. I have agreed to independently consult with the Licensee for continuity to complete the pinball designs for all 3 games. The timeframe until production of AZA and AIW product is 2 to 3 years post MG production.

I encourage fellow Pinheads to allow this team to help make these games come to life. The Licensee has already made significant investment in both time and money to get where we are today. They have acquired the licenses for these games not motivated by profit, but to make the designs a reality and forge a viable path for production of these products to Zidware customers. The only other alternative is that Zidware would be forced to file for bankruptcy, resulting in virtually nothing to the purchasers and none of the games that we have worked on all these years will ever be produced.

We need patience, positive input and support from you and all of Zidware’s customers. Once each purchaser has responded back with positive intentions, the Licensee will be formally announced and be able to continue to move forward. However if there are any clarification uestions regarding this letter or agreement, please do not contact the attorneys directly, instead you may send an email to: Magic Girl Info <magicgirl.raza.aiw@gmail.com>. The Licensee has already indicated that they will be opening the doors to share the progress with customers and welcoming everyone with open arms!

To be clear, there will not be any refunds as Zidware lacks the cash reserves necessary to return any customer deposits. The Licensee is here to create and build pinball machines and it is not responsible for Zidware’s liabilities. Nonetheless, working together, the Licensee will have the ability to produce machines and Zidware customers will be provided credits for deposits made. We are very lucky that the
Licensee started down this path to help the pinball community by trying to rectify this situation.

This is what we need in order for the Licensee to move forward, please take advantage of this opportunity and complete the attached agreement prepared by the attorney for the Licensee. This is what is required from you in the attached agreement in order for the plan to succeed:

1) Confirmation of your intent to complete the purchase of the ordered item(s) by executing and returning the attached agreement so that the Licensee does not expend resources for customers who may not wish to complete their order.

a. Magic Girl™ – original purchasers. The Licensee is already in talks with potential manufacturers to create a Magic Girl™–Collector’s Edition, limited to only 199 worldwide for those who have already purchased or provided deposits. This is first come first serve
as we will close off as soon as we reach 199 orders. Zidware deposits will be converted to credits dollar for dollar.

b. RAZA or AIW purchasers. For those who have placed a deposit on RAZA or AIW, the Licensee is allowing these purchasers to convert their deposits to credits towards:

i. Magic Girl™–Collector’s Edition ($15,995) – Limited to only 199 worldwide, this is first come first serve as we will close off as soon as we reach 199 orders. Zidware deposits will be converted dollar for dollar, 1:1 (eg. $6,500 deposit = $6,500 credits).

ii. Magic Girl™-Classic (TBD estimated at between $9,995 to $11,995) – We are offering a new edition of Magic Girl™ with all of the same functionality and quality, since the final product is yet to be finalized and we don’t have actual BOM, we can only provide the price range. Any customers interested in this option will have opportunity to confirm their purchase at time of release of actual price. Zidware deposits will be converted 1:2 (eg. $6,500 deposit = $3,250 credits) for this option.

Once you take delivery of your machine, you have an asset in hand and the ability to keep it or sell it for cash. You will also have the ability to sell your position. Should you wish to wait for the possible creation of a RAZA or AIW, that option is also available.

2) Agreement that you will not bring any action for money damages or specific performance against Zidware, the Licensee, the manufacturer, or any of their directors, officers or members during the earlier of:

(i) delivery of the product or
(ii) 4 years

This is what we need to move forward; we ask your cooperation to support us and allow Zidware to get the Licensee what is needed at this time. This is the only plan that will possibly get these machines produced. It is time sensitive as we need to move quickly or I will have no choice but to pursue a chapter 7 bankruptcy filing resulting in the liquidation of Zidware without delivery of any of the games and virtually no cash to Zidware customers.

This plan is for you, the Pinheads that want something that is a true work of art, quality built that can be treasured for years to come. I have now found the right business team that is dedicated to try to get my work to the finish line and into production. Help me to help you get what you came to Zidware for…a pinball machine that you will be very proud of to have in your collection!

To Our Success!

Best Personal Regards,
ZIDWARE, INC.
John Popadiuk
President

Did I read that right, supposing this does go to plan, Magic Girl will be another 2 years away? And the other games 2-3 years AFTER that?

To be clear, there will not be any refunds as Zidware lacks the cash reserves necessary to return any customer deposits.

Another Nail in the pre-order coffin.... Not that there was much room left to put any nails in!

As for " it would be a black eye for .... my reputation" i think as there's no money left, thats pretty much a foregone conclusion.... like it or not!

Did I read that right, supposing this does go to plan, Magic Girl will be another 2 years away? And the other games 2-3 years AFTER that?
Yup, 5 years to get RAZA. Magic Girl has taken 4 years so far, all the money gone, not even a prototype. Beggars belief really.

Put the man in jail!

Think we all knew jpop wasn't going to make it. Urgh, what a terrible time in pinball with so many upstarts screwing themselves.

Well, clause 2.i. suggests actually they are committing to make MG within 4 years :suspect:

I think the best man JPop should be talking to is a good team of lawyers.

a. Magic Girl™ – original purchasers. The Licensee is already in talks with potential manufacturers to create a Magic Girl™–Collector’s Edition, limited to only 199 worldwide for those who have already purchased or provided deposits. This is first come first serve as we will close off as soon as we reach 199 orders. Zidware deposits will be converted to credits dollar for dollar.

I don't get how they are offering LE's??? Is this some sort of strategy to get people to part with more cash for a game already 4 years into production?

What a ****take!

'If you want the game you paid a $6500 deposit for then we will convert that money to a $3250 deposit and make you sign a waiver saying you can't sue me

How's about **** off John

John got one thing right in that email. Pinball creatives should stick to designing and leave manufacturing etc to someone else. That's what Dennis and Greg realised with whoa nelly.

Here's a little bit of history for you all:

My company was a contractor for Zidware from June 2012 to May 2014. We worked on many things including: hardware design, os software, game software, graphics, effects, rules etc. We were forced to stop working with them due to unpaid invoices going back 3+ months at the time, now over a year ago. We were working on things full time until then.

I am still chasing the outstanding amounts, or any communication on this matter and am still bemused as to why much of the work i created has never been publicly shown. I have until this weekend tried to keep an open mind (despite being owed a large sum of money) that the projects may be finished and delivered for people. It was extremely difficult for me personally being a very small business to soak up 3 months of non-payment, but i still feel worse for every customer who put their faith in Zidware/John and have been repaid like this..

Also,

The journey almost brought me to my knees, as i relied on being payed in a timely manner, but wanted to keep the projects moving forward. I had to sell around 7 pinball games from my personal collection that i built up over 25 years to keep myself afloat. Remember I had a big clear out of games last year??

John actually sent me an email once telling me to stop sending invoice reminders as it was "annoying him"

The fact that he appears to be being given a 'get out of jail free' card is f$^%king unbelievable. I know that GLM and Cointaker are also owed large sums of money from Zidware

Last edited:
My god!

Why didn't you take any legal action against Zidware when they weren't paying invoices?

My god!

Why didn't you take any legal action against Zidware when they weren't paying invoices?

Do you think i just sat back and said 'oh well'?????????? I tried everything in my power legally to recover the money. The reality is that dept recovery is not that easy.

The full list of people/companies confirmed so far as owed money is:

Orange Cloud Software Ltd.
Cointaker
GLM
A Chicago-area specialty pinball parts supplier (NOT Pinball Life...)
Another engineer/board house (not confirmed by GLM)
Pinball Customs

Most likely more will come to light as the secrecy and NDA nature of the contracts is lifted.

The full list of people/companies confirmed so far as owed money is:

Orange Cloud Software Ltd.
Cointaker
GLM
A Chicago-area specialty pinball parts supplier (NOT Pinball Life...)
Another engineer/board house (not confirmed by GLM)
Pinball Customs

Joint class action suit? Spreads the Costs.... Plus if they are US based makes it easier....

I too am owed money from a pretend pinball manufacturer and I can totally relate to the feelings of loss, anger, world ending rage etc... Misery loves company as they say..

Maybe they could agree to a Jpop vs Kevin Kulek deathmatch in a spikey cage wrapped in burning used tampons? Loser gets fried with ww2 era flame throwers whilst the winner gets an apple before being euthanized for the sake of mankind....too much?

Actually I take all that back going over the artwork for the Alice in wonderland game it's a crying shame that another boutique pinball company goes under :(
Just not a fan of JP games but no denying they are lovely to look at and magic girl looked like it was gonna be ace

Could someone help explain how this works?

"We are offering a new edition of Magic Girl™ with all of the same functionality and quality"

If you stick with the CE you pay $15,995 but your $6,500 deposit is transferred to the new as credit at 100% Licensee. Or you can get the same machine for less (from $9,995 up to $11,995) but your initial deposit is only worth half as credit?

So, a "CE" will cost $15,995. A "Classic" will cost $6,500 plus either ($9,995 - $3,250 = $6,745) or ($11,995 - $3,250 = $8,745) so grand total between $13,245 and $15,245. Only difference with the Classic is it's not a numbered CE.

What is it with this craze of numbering and limited/premium/pro/classic/collector edition pinball machines?

I wonder if JPop sub-contracted k.Kulek to draught that email for him? What a load of relentless droning sh1t. Reading that @myPinballs must be really insulting.

Actually I take all that back going over the artwork for the Alice in wonderland game it's a crying shame that another boutique pinball company goes under :(
Just not a fan of JP games but no denying they are lovely to look at and magic girl looked like it was gonna be ace

Shame he couldn't run a business or pay for work completed though. i'm down 5 figures which nearly ended my business last year. 'luckily' i weathered the storm by selling my own pinball assets. Thanks John...

Holy ****cakes! I know how that feels though. I worked for a small company and after closing the London office "for relocation" they mysteriously couldn't pay my wages. Then I got paid via business cheques instead of bank debits. Then the cheques bounced. I was looking for other work at the time - it was 2003 and a bit tough - but ended up about £6k out-of-pocket which I'll never see as the directors were investigated by the likes of HMRC. I also sold things to keep the roof over our heads (my first son was about to be born!). I notch it up to experience now and it has at least lead to an excellent career with a major international company whose head office is one of those new big shiny glass towers in London.

Sorry to hear about this Jim @myPinballs, I didn't realise what a complete wally John P was. It's very sad that you had to sell some of your pins, but at least you survived it.

How has he spent so much money and produced bugger all?

Look at America's most haunted, although it is assembled and distributed by Spooky, the game was pretty much designed and made by Ben Heck, in his garage, using his own 3D printer, laser cutter and CNC machine, he even made the boards and did the software himself (with some help) and funny enough had John P, pop in to give him some design advice! So he's achieve that, and its actually a real in production game, and John P can't manage to even prototype a machine with thousands of dollars of other peoples money :mad:

Last edited:
all very sad, I believe in JPop as a designer and don't believe he set out to scam anyone so any "send him to jail" comments sound to me over the top. Let's be honest, if this guy finds is difficult to get the thing to fruit, after himself personally having produced WCS and TOM and TOTAN , then clearly we can all, surely, finally, for once, all understand the reasons that new companies can't bring new pins to market without great delays. it's hard.

Stern can only do it as they are the last man standing, and their business model these days is to strip it bare and call it a pro and then sell the mechs as after market toys.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about this Jim @myPinballs, I didn't realise what a complete wally John P was. It's very sad that you had to sell some of your pins, but at least you survived it.

How has he spent so much money and produced bugger all?

Look at America's most haunted, although it is assembled and distributed by Spooky, the game was pretty much designed and made by Ben Heck, in his garage, using his own 3D printer, laser cutter and CNC machine, he even made the boards and did the software himself (with some help) and funny enough had John P, pop in to give him some design advice! So he's achieve that, and its actually a real in production game, and John P can't manage to even prototype a machine with thousands of dollars of other peoples money :mad:

Not wanting to have to repeat everything i've already said on pinside as it is too emotionally draining, but if you want to see what was already created with my involvement see my posts on pinside. This includes videos of the prototypes for mg i had working back in 2013 here in the uk - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread……………mg-raza-and-aiw…?tq&tu=applejuice

If you remember luke i mentioned 'contract payment issues' when i was selling the BK2000 to John and also others like LOTR, Apollo 13, Dr Who, Indy 500 etc etc

all very sad, I believe in JPop as a designer and don't believe he set out to scam anyone so any "send him to jail" comments sound to me over the top. Let's be honest, if this guy finds is difficult to get the thing to fruit, after himself personally having produced WCS and TOM and TOTAN , then clearly we can all, surely, finally, for once, all understand the reasons that new companies can't bring new pins to market without great delays. it's hard.

Stern can only do it as they are the last man standing, and their business model these days is to strip it bare and call it a pro and then sell the mechs as after market toys.

Not wanting to get into a discussion with all this really as its too emotionally upsetting, but the common thread from multiple people in the know is Popaduik had a big team for other games at williams and some of them were even taken away from him to be finished properly.... Please do not forget williams games were made by a lot of people with excellent skills in their prospective areas.

Did Zidware produce/demonstrate a prototype of MAGIC GIRL? The blog https://magicgirldev.wordpress.com/ has posts up until as recently as 15 May 2015 talking about stuff like custom glass, custom shooter rods, etc. In February there were shots of a cabinet assembly co-facility capable of producing 30 cabinets per week. Looking at the photos this is clearly another company as there are cabinets for other arcade machines in the background.

But what went so wrong so quickly from just a few weeks ago?

Whilst reading up about Zidware and Popadiuk I was reminded that during 2014 he was showing a design to recreate a KISS pinball, something that we all know has now just been realised by Stern.

http://www.maaca.org/viewtopic.php?t=15678
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-2014
http://www.pinball-magazine.com/?page_id=34

And the JPop thread John Popadiuk update thread…………….MG, RAZA and AIW….. on Pinside is something else! Currenty 308 pages with 15,357 posts!

I wonder how many appearances he'll be putting in at various expos around the world? Not many I'll wager lest he be lynched by a rampaging angry mob with pitchforks demanding their deposits back! Maybe he can hang out with Kevin Kulek in his secret underground pin bunker...

Back
Top Bottom