What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JP flipper help

PT82

Registered
Hi
Guys just got JP out of storage and the right flipper only works when it feels like it. You can hear it fire when press the button but the mechanism itself doesn't fire.
Pic for reference.
What can I check? Never worked in these before

Attachments

• IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 22
If the coil fires each press of the button check the plastic link is not broken? but it looks ok in pic!

The end of stroke switch is the wrong type. It should be gold contact. Try shorting it out temporarily to see if flipping is returned.

If so you may be able to get better electrical contact with the existing switch or else you’ll need to replace it.

Cheers guys. I have no electrical knowledge at all but will have a closer look. As said when pressing the flipper button you can hear something fires but the actual mechanism pictured works intermittently (so that spring doesn't always move). Hoping for a loose connection.

If that end of stroke switch is being seen as open then you won’t get the power voltage, just the holding voltage.

Just reading up on this. So what you're saying is the coil could be on low voltage all the time if the end of stroke switch permanently touching?
Apologies if I'm way off.

Edit. That is what you're saying I'm pretty sure lol

No the opposite! EOS switch is made to give high power, flipper arm opens it to reduce to low holding power.

But I thought was for coils with 2 windings? His coil only got 2 lugs?

Not correct for JP, LAH, or TFTC.
It doesn’t help that there are several different variants of DE flipper design. For these three it is essential that the eos switch makes good contact, otherwise it won’t flip with the power stroke. If you force the eos stuck closed it will safely flip and automatically transfer to low power regardless of the eos state. So safe to permanently make the switch closed. Under normal operation If the flipper gets knocked back by a fast ball, the eos recloses forcing a reenergising of the flipper followed by automatic transfer to low power.

So the eos is just a sensor of flipper position. It runs at 5v logic level. So needs a low power contact eg gold. The switch you have in looks to be a high voltage tungsten contact that has high resistance at 5v so the logic is not passed to the flipper board telling it that it’s down. So it defaults to thinking it’s up and only applies holding voltage when flipped.

You can prove this by placing a piece of card between the contacts of the working flipper and you should find that it no longer flips.

Or pinch the suspect contacts together with your finger whilst flipping and you’ll find it flips with power.

Just reading up on this. So what you're saying is the coil could be on low voltage all the time if the end of stroke switch permanently touching?
Apologies if I'm way off.

Edit. That is what you're saying I'm pretty sure lol

No. Although your switch appears closed, electrically it’s probably open circuit

Back
Top Bottom