What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JJP Pirates - first look

Why comment having not played it? Doesn't seem any logic in it...

2. Not having a side rail on the upper field adds to the fun and skill of it.
3. Doesn't matter its 3" away the skill is getting the shot to load the cannon
4. I hit this shot 4 times of 5 so not that hard
5. That area is only to activate the modes it is random
6. The spinners don't actually move all the time, they are activated by the map targets

I've played it a fair bit at Tilt.

2) The angle of the entry ramp sends it straight out the side if the ship is leaning that way, before you get a chance to touch it.

Spinner sounds like a cement mixer.

Not looked at the assy but assume its a gear drive that's making the noise?

Tim

Why comment having not played it? Doesn't seem any logic in it...

2. Not having a side rail on the upper field adds to the fun and skill of it.
3. Doesn't matter its 3" away the skill is getting the shot to load the cannon
4. I hit this shot 4 times of 5 so not that hard
5. That area is only to activate the modes it is random
6. The spinners don't actually move all the time, they are activated by the map targets

its feedback :) - not criticism! I tend to agree on the upper play-field, I did notice on the code I was playing at TPF, that it only seemed to tilt anti-clockwise now, can't remember but I thought it tilted further clockwise?

Cheers,
Neil.

the mini playfield tilts both ways as it runs off a motor running in one direction with a arm on it, but there is a little bit of adjustment in it which affects its range of movement, mine was only rocking to the left and middle, but i bent a bracket to even it up.

Oh no, they just replaced the triple disc with a single unlit disc :(. Also the chest no longer opens and closes. I doubt it will happen but they should drop the price now, that triple disc must have cost a pretty penny.

Last edited:
I think it’s a good idea that they are testing things and studying things and making changes prior to public release it shows they do really care this will be costing them time and money to do so it’s much better than making no changes and just releasing a troublesome game Like other companies do I am glad they have changed both of these things as I chatted to jack about a few issues on these parts when I had the machine the triple disk was mega noisy with it’s geared mechanisms and it would really annoy you in a home environment also they where lots of ball hang ups around the trunk I would look at this as a positive thing not a bad one

Agreed if it's really noisy and unreliable it should be replaced, but the price has to come down. 3 discs, 3 motors and 25 rgb inserts have been replaced by 1 disc and motor.

Bet Pinside is taking the news well. Bit of a shame as the triple disc looked cool but not a big deal. Surprised about the trunk as Houdini seemed to have it working fairly well, in the short term anyway

Not really bothered about the chest, but it’s a shame to lose the three spinning disks - I absolutely loved that feature and it was pretty much the focal point of the playfield.

I think those 3 discs were annoying... they were very loud and would have been an nuisance in a home...

Phil

I agree. Noisy as hell and take a lot of skill away from the gameplay because of the random ball trajectories.

That's before you even get to future reliability of the assy.

Good move.

Tim

I was hoping they’d go for normal size - it would make this game even better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh and Phil that Proto you have in Tilt became much more valuable :)

Alternative: ship it as-is and deal with the problem with mods under warranty? Dollar wings emoji...

I think they're showing a very high degree of manufacturing and business sense, as disapointing as it may seem.

T

Having got one on order, I'm a little disappointed, I really liked the three discs when I played it in Texas last month. It was for sure a cool feature. I also recall the video JJP did where they marveled at the design they had come up with for this and how simple and great it was - obviously, in reality, it wasn't that great.

correct me if I’m wrong but the only toy is the irritating boat wigglying side to side?

Blatantly stolen from Pinside....

i1.pinside.com_8_a8_8a88e435f90aeca6ff0f73495f90d4978070cd85_r817a5fd8cc8dd89d3a20c5f56fded4c3.jpg

Wonder how many changes Stern make before release info? I can understand the need to scrap things if they don't work properly but I'd be gutted if I'd pre-ordered and one of the main toys had been changed so much.

Having probably played the POTC the most on here...

Chest - Makes no difference to the game if it improves the upkick into the lock that’s great

3 Discs - I actually liked it even though it a loud bugger - Made some awesome viewing

But saying that great to see JJP stepping up and investing money into the game before release. Shows they don’t just want your £££

What they should have done is have the LE and collectors edition using the three disks as they will probably be used in a home environment and the std which will most likely be sited the one disk.

The three disks were a major selling factor and made the pin quite unique and seemly well engineered.

Last edited:
Played it yesterday. Only had a few games so can’t really comment, but there was one annoying thing with the 3 disks is that the ball does divert when it rolls over the disks and twice it went SDTM. Might just mean the disks needs levelling? However the few games I did play I was underwhelmed but would need to play it a lot more before I had an informed judgement. Very cool looking machine though.
Just a observation from my time at Tilt yesterday was that other than my few games on POTC I only saw one other person play a couple of games on The Hobbit in the 2hrs I spent there. DI wasn’t touched at all, yet nearly all the Stern machines were being played. Had to wait about an 1hr to get on GOTG. Also went downstairs and most of the machines were being played at some point.

What a shame as I really liked the original disc mech, it was such a great focal point of the playfield.

Not sure now, I'll have to wait and see how it looks and plays after it goes into production.

Keefer just posted this. it looks much better than the screen captures but still falls short. Whilst I think its great JJP are coming clean about something that didn't work- I think they haven't managed it that well. Also think they will struggle to uphold non-refundable deposits!

5217ed0e4d74ae1f2d6f6ac4346f384c7e35f1b9.jpg

JJP live stream tonight 9pm, hopefully a lot more information about whats going on with POTC changes, and find out whether they've listened to the almost overwhelming negative feedback and raft of cancelled orders ( if pinside is to be believed ).

Back
Top Bottom