What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JJP Pirates - first look

Wizcat

Registered
Alias
Paul G
Great evening with @chris b and guests last night. Got an early look at JJP's Pirates of the Caribbean, and Stern's Guardians of the Galaxy (Pro and LE version thanks to Lee)

I'm only going to comment on Pirates, because I didn't get a lot of time with GOTG. Far too popular with the other guests! Would welcome other peoples thoughts on that (and Pirates too)

Was really impressed with Pirates though! Absolutely gorgeous game. I'd always thought that JJP's WOZ was probably the most visually impressive game to date, but I think this one might top it. Really lovely detail on all the models. There's a twinkling star map at the back of the game that seems to just be there for effect rather than any gameplay purpose. Little things like that make it easy to see where the money has gone, but it really adds up to making a beautiful game. And I'm told this is still somewhat a prototype model, there could be further enhancements (such as changing the foggy ramp plastics) on the final model.

Didn't see a ball hang up at all whilst we were playing, only a possible software fault at one point (which shows up in the video below) where the ball didn't release from the saucer until ball search kicked it out.
Rules wise, it was still very early code, but I think as we played it we started to figure out there is a surprising amount there already.

At the start of the game you choose a character, which awards different bonuses during the game, such as easier to complete modes, or longer ball save and so on. There are probably 20 or so of these characters, some of which are not yet coded. An interesting strategy choice too, because in a multiplayer game you can't pick the same character as someone else. Normally in pinball the later players have some strategic advantage in being able to see what scores to shoot for, but now there might be a benefit to playing first and picking 'the best' character.

We didn't quite figure out the modes. It looks to me like there are five modes available on each of the five main shots, and these are displayed across the top of the display too (in yellow, green, red, aqua, blue). Making one of the main shots cycles the lit mode in that colour, then to start a mode you shoot to the right of the chest into an area of the playfield with five standups (one for each of the five colours). A magnet keeps the ball bouncing around into the standups until one of the lit modes is activated, depending on which standup gets hit the most. That's how it looked to me anyhow! In the modes you have rules displayed on screen and with arrows on the playfield. Completing a mode awards you a tick box, so I can guess there might be mini-wizard modes for completing all five modes in one particular colour, or maybe one for completing a single mode in each colour and so on.

There are a good number of multiballs too. The main multiball works similar to Whitewater. Shoot the standups either side of the lock shot. The lock shot into the chest is really nice. The chest opens to show you the physical ball locks, then closes again when a new ball is locked.

There are other multiballs for repeat shots to an inner loop from the upper flipper, for collecting gold (from standups then mashing the button to collect), repeat shots on the Maelstrom funnel and so on.

The upper playfield on the rocking boat was pretty fun. It looks like you have to make the loop shot up there until it lights two green standup targets. Hit the two standups and it lights a saucer on the top left. Making the lit saucer collects the ball and loads it into a cannon, where you shoot the physical ball across the playfield - from one ship into the other. Thought this was a really nice feature.

jjpirates.jpg

Yup as I said easily JJP’s best game and it’s not even done yet! I am going to quiz Jack on build quality though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, big thanks to @chris b to be able to see and play and a great lineup of 2 X GOTG, POTC, WD LE & GOT LE !

s13.postimg.org_oxfzss73r_20180106_212752.jpg

Focus on JJP POTC. Loved it... reckon will be even better than Hobbit when code updates complete. Whilst a basic prototype, this was a real fun machine to play. Three inter-changing spinning rings can really throw you off (acts like magnets under playfield at times) but best feature for me... the cannon shooting ball from rocking ship to ship on left side of playfield. Very tricky to get and managed it only once in about ten games. Very clever design feature and a true 'air-ball' into a specific hole target making the receiving ship shudder, very nice touch I thought and worked well. The rocking of the main ship changes too (more extreme) the further you get into the game. This will be a very big, deep game with a beautiful playfield. I want one... but the cull would be too severe.... one day.

Had a couple of games of GOTG, Pro & LE. Enjoyed it, very metallica like in layout and scored big points when kept going for the Groat? multi-ball feature. Not sure what else I was doing tbh, but looks a decent game overall and would like to spend more time on it.

Also, first time I've seen and played a GOT LE. What a difference to the Pro... really enjoyed this, confusing learning the rules but that upper playfield makes a massive difference. Shame not more of these about as would love to grab one at a future date £ permitting.

Like to add my thanks to Chris B for inviting us over to play GOTG pro and the LE (thanks to Lee Riley for letting us be the first to play his LE). And a massive thanks to Phil at Pinball Heaven for the loan of both the GOTG pro and the JJP POTC, which I enjoyed playing both, wasn't to bothered about the GOTG but after playing I was very impressed with the game overall very fast and a hybrid of both Metalica and Iron Man.
JJP POTC was the game I was looking forward to play and although it was early code and I was told not to expect to much it did not disapoint. The game itself is stunning to look at with some really quirky stuff going on like the cannon shooting the ball from one ship to another and the physical ball lock , locking balls in the treasure chest. The spinning discs can be very unpredictable but that adds to the fun, there seems like there is loads to do and with the modes (which we didn't work out) look like they are going to be mini wizard modes like in the Hobbit. Overall once this code starts coming together its going to be a cracking game. Very impressed with both games.
Good to meet up with the Yorkshire possi for a great evening of pinball , thanks again to @chris b for the invite.

I’m hoping it’s a bit better than hobbit!

Yeah I know it’s better than hobbit already just thought that was an amusing comparison - It’s great we all don’t like the same stuff :)

Looks beautiful and I love the right out lane to shooter lane ball save, never seen that before.

Why call it POTC when no call-outs are from any of the actors. No clips from any of the films. I do like the pirates theme, but it needs these things.
The callouts are from one of the actors, just not one of the more well known actors, Kevin Mcnally ( Gibbs ). I do agree though, if they are going to be really limited to what they can do with the theme, they may as well have called it pirates of the seven seas or something, make it a generic pirate machine like black rose. I don't think anyone is going to buy it BECAUSE its Pirates of the Caribbean, the movies have very few fans left, but it will sell because it looks like an amazing game, same as Dialed in.

Why call it POTC when no call-outs are from any of the actors. No clips from any of the films. I do like the pirates theme, but it needs these things.
It does have clips from the film's. Still early code so in time it' going to have it all. Well worth keeping a eye on this as it could be JJP 's best game to date.

Reactions: JMP
The callouts are from one of the actors, just not one of the more well known actors, Kevin Mcnally ( Gibbs ). I do agree though, if they are going to be really limited to what they can do with the theme, they may as well have called it pirates of the seven seas or something, make it a generic pirate machine like black rose. I don't think anyone is going to buy it BECAUSE its Pirates of the Caribbean, the movies have very few fans left, but it will sell because it looks like an amazing game, same as Dialed in.

They're still banging films out Kev so must be some fans out there...? The machine ties into the last film and all the others before it as far as I can see... if they start putting multiple actors voices into it, subject to getting their permission, imagine the additional cost for this being knocked onto the customer? There's 20 POTC characters or so in it to choose from when starting the game (each has its own additional game feature) and can't imagine them being granted the licence includes any voice overs too without additional £.

The game has so much going on and looks/sounds so good...I hadn't even noticed about no multiple cast call-outs.... (room was a bit loud though too).

Anyone interested in POTC - this podcast helps to work out what is going on.
Sounds like breaking the curse is going to be super super hard!

And zero post shots - I am usually pretty good at hitting posts:D

New code at TPF2018 - played it - feels very slow compared to TNA now!

Pretty sure you could apply that statement to any machine Neil! :D

Yeah but of a dopey comment by me lol. :)

POTC is beautiful and super deep - and out in the Summer!

I loved it. (but i would say that, having to justify my order). seriously though it was fun to play. i do like a deep game to really get into. it also compensates for my love of very simple games.

POTC felt very solid and quality. gameplay i found exciting even though i had no idea what to do. i can see myself getting well absorbed by this. can’t wait [emoji2][emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJP asking me for feedback on the POTC in Tilt... so any comments please post here. Stay away from software related lack of code!

JJP asking me for feedback on the POTC in Tilt... so any comments please post here. Stay away from software related lack of code!

Had a lot of fun with it when I played. Shots are nice and the game has some cool features. Only a few things I really noticed.
  • The guy on the top of one of the pops that spins around amazingly fast when the ball is in there seems like a prime thing to break due to the speed at which he spins around. I hope they're made well!
  • Not sure if code related but upper rocking playfield could probably use something to tell it to only activate the upper playfield flippers when the ball is up there rather than all the time?
Nothing majorly negative to say about the game, obviously code still being developed. Felt like it flowed well and shots were smooth. Had some lights out on the spinning centre disc but I assume again cos it's an early game these are issues that will be fixed. Overall liked it! Another of many games I'd buy if I had thousands of pounds going spare haha.

here's my comments from pinside:

s.pinside.com_img_no_avatar_tinythumb.jpgQuoted from pindome:

Not having played it or even seen it, why a swing and a miss?

1) It has the same coding progression as WOZ and Hobbit. A game should be easy to understand but hard to master.
2) The upper playfield. Would be ok if they filled in the side drain, as it is it goes straight up the ramp and straight out the side a lot of the time.
3) Shooting the other ship. It's like 3" away, impossible to miss and you can't see the effect.
4) The trunk lock. Too straight up the middle so no power on the flipper and the shot is too hard.
5) The bit at the back, with some targets and an up post. Too hidden, Impossible to see and random luck what it hits.
6) The spinner(s). Seem to be going ALL THE FRIKKIN TIME! Could be fixed in code.
7) The rain sound effects (I presume it's a sound effect). make it sound like it's got bad speakers.

pinside.com_img_smilies_icon_cool.gif The under the flipper shot, great, love it
9) The whirlpool ramp, gret, love it
10) The reversed "full Throttle" lane. Great love it

Agree with your points Sven, the post area which from what I can tell is a random magnet thing anyway so the game decides what you hit.

I have't played it yet. Whilst I don't mind mini playfields in moderation, this one seems like it is accessible all the time which may get tiresome? A diverter to only let the ball up there in certain modes may have been better, like WOZ.

I will have to reserve judgement on it after I have spent a decent amount of time playing it.

here's my comments from pinside:

s.pinside.com_img_no_avatar_tinythumb.jpgQuoted from pindome:

Not having played it or even seen it, why a swing and a miss?

1) It has the same coding progression as WOZ and Hobbit. A game should be easy to understand but hard to master.
2) The upper playfield. Would be ok if they filled in the side drain, as it is it goes straight up the ramp and straight out the side a lot of the time.
3) Shooting the other ship. It's like 3" away, impossible to miss and you can't see the effect.
4) The trunk lock. Too straight up the middle so no power on the flipper and the shot is too hard.
5) The bit at the back, with some targets and an up post. Too hidden, Impossible to see and random luck what it hits.
6) The spinner(s). Seem to be going ALL THE FRIKKIN TIME! Could be fixed in code.
7) The rain sound effects (I presume it's a sound effect). make it sound like it's got bad speakers.

pinside.com_img_smilies_icon_cool.gif The under the flipper shot, great, love it
9) The whirlpool ramp, gret, love it
10) The reversed "full Throttle" lane. Great love it

Why comment having not played it? Doesn't seem any logic in it...

2. Not having a side rail on the upper field adds to the fun and skill of it.
3. Doesn't matter its 3" away the skill is getting the shot to load the cannon
4. I hit this shot 4 times of 5 so not that hard
5. That area is only to activate the modes it is random
6. The spinners don't actually move all the time, they are activated by the map targets

Back
Top Bottom