What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's official - Game Of Thrones leaves me baffled :(

Sgt GrizZ

Registered
Ex PinballInfo Admin . MIA Brighton Hove beach
Alias
Ive
After playing GOT at Swavesey , not for the first time, I have played several now .....

...........I STILL DO NOT KNOW WTF IS GOING ON !?!?!?!?!

Seriously how unintuitive can a game be ??

It shouldn't be this hard to get a grip on the rules ...Jesus I have played nearly every DMD game made, spent thousands of hours on pins , I like to think I *know* the basics of rulesets....the fact that I cant 'get' this game points to something worrying with it.

Was playing it in the tourney - nailing loads of lit/flashing shots .......which rewarded me with absolutely nothing. If it gave me info on what was happening it was either too quick for me to grasp, or just insufficient.

I do wonder what inexperienced pin players make of this game on site ??

Just seems WAAAAAAAAY too complicated, all the CHOOSING of Houses, Battles etc .......... its like it needs to come with its own Dungeon Masters Guide for you to read before even attempting to play it.:mad:

I almost feel like I never want to waste my time on it again. I hate it :rofl:

Agree with grizz. To play it for ages and get nothing then have some rock up and start something or other and get huge awards when they also have No idea is pretty poor. Played it all friday night and off an on throughout the weekend and I still have no idea.

mate, 400mil first ball round 1. Finished with 451mil an hour or two later and got knocked out shortly after.

I think it is a game you have to own to understand. I'd like to own one at some point.

Compared to AC/DC it's a piece of **** to understand.;)

Pick a colour (forget about houses). Get the same colour a few times then go up the ****ing obvious middle shot. Then hit the same shots that are now the same colour as the one you selected.

The fun bit is knowing that the button on the lock bar does sweet FA unless you are Martel.

In all honesty I think it's got the potential to be a good (maybe great) game but it desperately needs a code update.

Oh and the video game bit is utter ****.

It's so easy, really, I just don't get how you don't know that.....

Simple.

Do a PHD in Quantum Physics and then the game will appear so so simple;)

i own an le and its an awesome game one of the best rule set is mega once you know what you are doing loads of modes and every one is so different once you have learned it you will be back for more billions is pretty do able most games

Played it twice when it was on display in Selfridges a few years ago (by HLD I think) got 3M on one game and 300M and GC on the next.... I have NO idea what I did...... Shoot the flashing lights and all.....

[QUOTE="chris b, post: 214100, member: 248"billions is pretty do able most games[/QUOTE]
i've played about 10 games on it now. most games under 10M, one was a lot more. but so so far away from being user-friendly or understandable. all the colours are on for most of the time, it's like a crappy christmas tree

I struggling to think of a recent game where it was obvious what to do. Ghostbusters left me utterly confused. Alien? Woz? I guess part of the problem now is that pins are more focused at the home market so they need to be deeper which means if you stumble across one on site then you never really get a chance to understand it. Metallica is an awesome game but the first few times I played it I as left cold. TWD is another example of a great game but not exactly casual punter friendly.

With GOT I probably play it less than Demo Man or AFM.

I struggling to think of a recent game where it was obvious what to do. Ghostbusters left me utterly confused. Alien? Woz? I guess part of the problem now is that pins are more focused at the home market so they need to be deeper which means if you stumble across one on site then you never really get a chance to understand it. Metallica is an awesome game but the first few times I played it I as left cold. TWD is another example of a great game but not exactly casual punter friendly.

With GOT I probably play it less than Demo Man or AFM.
Good point on GB, another I have played quite a few times and each time I'm thinking...,, just what the hell is going on here???

See also WOZ, Alien.... the more screens and *information* thrown in your face, the less clear it all is. Just a load of white noise at times.

I have non pinheads come round and struggle to understand early DMD games initially, god knows what they would make of some of the modern titles. [emoji47]

GB is easy - it tells you what to do if you listen to it - you just need to remember where each part of the PF is...
GOT tho - with you guys all the way!!

Blimey! @Sgt GrizZ underatands the rules for POPEYE which must put him right up there with EINSTEIN and HAWKING, so if he can't even get a basic grasp on GOT then it was either designed by pan-dimensional super-beings or the instruction card is woefully inadequate. Or maybe, just maybe, it's a bit of a mess and confusing.

Me, I'm still having problems explaining how the advance bonus and multipliers on GOLD BALL work to my eight year old daughter. I've no idea how the SPECIALs work... but lighting P-L-A-Y on the rollovers flashes FREE BALL. Not quite sure how to collect it though?

Basically, my level of pinbal is "Use flippers to stop ball draining and enjoy the flashy lights and pretty sounds."

At gregs new year bash Martin Ayub was there and doing pretty well so I just did what he did and came second after him - think that was my second game of GoT ever. I think it has potential.

each to there own but i bet i you where to have it in your home play for a week you would love it i must say the video mode is ****
some of the good playing games really have zero depth star trek great player and a good game but each mode the same to me gets boring
i also have an ac dc luci god knows the rule set on that and i have played it for years

I don't understand, I find the rules on GOT some of the easiest to understand. As all are pinheads on here (and assume reasonable players) everyone should be getting 1Bn + each game? Choose Martel first for button Add-a-ball, if you're doing well save it for 'Hand of the King' if not use it on last ball drain in Blackwater multiball in a mode.

Played at Northern Lights - wasn't as immediately accessible as Metallica (for example), but i'm sure it gets interesting in a home environment. I hated LOTR far more on the first game, as a reference point, which i now like quite a lot.

I struggling to think of a recent game where it was obvious what to do. Ghostbusters left me utterly confused. Alien? Woz? I guess part of the problem now is that pins are more focused at the home market so they need to be deeper which means if you stumble across one on site then you never really get a chance to understand it. Metallica is an awesome game but the first few times I played it I as left cold. TWD is another example of a great game but not exactly casual punter friendly..

This is a fair point. I also think GB, Metallica, ACDC and almost all recent Sterns have struggled to make the rules clear. One exception seems to be Batman66 which I played for the first time at Swavesey, and has pretty clear rules which I felt I understood within two or three games, and I even lit what I presume is the first wizard mode (for completing the four main vilains) by the fourth or fifth game, but failed to start it. Not sure if the larger screen helped, or just better programming/design in general, but I loved the simplicity.

Had GoT on loan for about 4 months and never got it - found it repetitive and tedious work, and it didn't draw me in so I wanted to try again.

It seems to me that the B/W games of the '90s did a great job of telling you what to do on the screen, and pausing the action so you could read and take in the information. Modern Sterns use a tiny hard-to-read font when they tell you what you are meant to be doing, and they don't seem to hold the ball so that you have time to read the info. I am amazed at some of the things I see on the screen when I am watching other people play that I have never had time to see when I have been playing.

i think Hobbit and Dialled in suffer the same. You can see hints on the screen but hard to follow them, dialled in has lots of calls outs about what you should be trying to do which is a godsend as the plafield is very crowded with lots of shots and toys

games that rely on voice callouts are fine at home but street ops end up turning games down to placate none gamers. a fate Bally learnt with Spectrum

To me, Got is like an onion - it has layers :rofl:

Simplest thing to grasp is how to start multiballs

Then you need to understand how to light a house, and then complete it. Concentrate on one house at a time.
Then you have Winter is coming, Battle for the Wall, to add on.

I've never had one at home but think I understand enough to be able to maximise my scoring potential.

The Hobbit on the other hand - wtf? I played a game at Tilt on Monday and set the GC of 3.9mil on my FIRST ball. Had absolutely no idea what I was doing (and still don't) Think I played 2 of the 3 Wizard modes and had the third lit but couldn't start it.

The problem is obviously with the home market so dominant the games need to have some lastability to stop people becoming bored. What seems to be missing from some of the recent releases mentioned is the shot which will give the casual player an obvious instant multiball or big feature. Met, TWD, Xmen all have a big bash toy which hit enough times will give you a multiball, but also have deeper rules for the home owner to discover.

I have to say having played Family Guy no more than half a dozen times since getting it home I feel I know almost every shot and the only thing keeping me slightly interested is the challenge of Sperm Attack, already I've lit 5 of the 6 requirements, just need to concentrate on Stewie Super Jackpot now

I think with the move over to LED screens there is no reason for manufacturers to not put a basic 'how to play' animation on the screen.

Back
Top Bottom